Discussion Thread for: The Making of a New AT Collab Deck

tarotbear

BTW - })

Since some people will be jumping on their designs quite soon (I'm already formulating some ideas) - are we going to post them here? Or will we create another thread for 'card images only' so someone doesn't have to read through 100s of posts on technical things just to see what someone's particular card looks like? Or will/should we wait until all the cards are done to have an 'unveiling'?

annabel398

and just to check some *technical* details;
Recommended card template is 900x1500 pixels with 300dpp (dots/pixels per inch)?
And safe aria for card image is 750x1350 pixels? ;)))
Is it ok if I upload png templates for both so it can be download and start painting?:))))

Please do not assume that these are the final sizes ... In fact, if we go with borders, they definitely will not be.

Borders will reduce the width slightly, titles will reduce the height significantly, and either/both will change the "safe area"--so please hang tight until these have been decided--or accept that you may have to crop your artwork.

As soon as poll results are in, I'll upload templates... I will include several sizes, in case people prefer to work at larger than 100% (might be especially useful for the non-digital artists).

Hope this clarifies ... I just don't want anyone to learn the lesson about card sizes (as described in Tarotbear's "if only I had known..." thread) the hard way =\

Marirowana

BTW - })

Since some people will be jumping on their designs quite soon (I'm already formulating some ideas) - are we going to post them here? Or will we create another thread for 'card images only' so someone doesn't have to read through 100s of posts on technical things just to see what someone's particular card looks like? Or will/should we wait until all the cards are done to have an 'unveiling'?

We will make a new thread for sharing some sketches, after the technical stuff is set. This thread is for discussing details about the whole project only :)

annabel398

BTW - })

Because of the limitations on posting images here, I have started a Dropbox account. Join Dropbox with this link:
https://db.tt/t9htGaLa
And we will each get an extra 500MB. I envision making the images read-only for everyone, plus contributing artists will have edit privileges. That way everyone can follow along on the deck's progress.

Note: there are definitely other solutions, and we don't have to use this one--but I like Dropbox because it is very easy to use and it's free.

=============
DROPBOX PRIMER
-----------------------
Dropbox is an online file storage and sharing program. You sign up https://db.tt/t9htGaLa and take their little Getting Started tour. And voilá, you have 2GB of free cloud storage.

You can upload files by dragging and dropping, or by clicking on the icon that looks like a piece of paper with a plus sign (top right area of the screen).

To organize your files, you can create folders. The icon is a folder with a plus sign. Drag and drop files into folders.

If someone (like me!) shares a folder, you will see that folder in your Dropbox as though you had created it yourself. If you drag a file into a shared folder, both you and the other person will be able to see it.

Dropbox can be used directly from any modern browser, and they also have an app you can download, if you prefer that. I downloaded the app (because doing so increased my storage allocation) but I usually just use it from my browser.

There's more, but I think this covers the basics.
-------------

tarotbear

Please do not assume that these are the final sizes ... In fact, if we go with borders, they definitely will not be.

Borders will reduce the width slightly, titles will reduce the height significantly, and either/both will change the "safe area"--so please hang tight until these have been decided--or accept that you may have to crop your artwork.

As soon as poll results are in, I'll upload templates... I will include several sizes, in case people prefer to work at larger than 100% (might be especially useful for the non-digital artists).

Hope this clarifies ... I just don't want anyone to learn the lesson about card sizes (as described in Tarotbear's "if only I had known..." thread) the hard way =\

My only thought about this - which is why it needs to be decided very quickly -

The titles (at the bottom) are only for the Majors? Yes/ No?

Are they going to 'float' over the image in little banners like in the Robin Wood - which means everyone will need to leave X inch of non-design at the bottom to NOT be covered by the banner - OR

Will they be in a little box like the RWS - so the 'safe area' for the image might end up being something like 750 x 1250 pixels?

~~Because if the Minors will only have numbers then the Minors will be using one size image and the Majors will be using a smaller-size image.

examples attached:

1) 900 x 1500 pixels with 750 x 1350 usable area
2) example from another deck I designed with 'floating' banners
3) RWS-type template with title at bottom

Attachments

• 900x1500 750x1350.jpg
    900x1500 750x1350.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 900x1500 banners.jpg
    900x1500 banners.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 85
  • blank card template.jpg
    blank card template.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 92

annabel398

If you really can't find a scanner locally...

If you're willing to send your artwork to me (I'm in the USA), I have a pretty good scanner. I second Gregory on not taking photos of artwork--I've never been able to make it work.

Perhaps we could start a small list of people across the world who would be willing to scan? I know there must be someone in the EU who would volunteer... And in Oz... And South America... That way, those folks without scanner access could send their art to the closest volunteer, who is hopefully not halfway around the globe!

annabel398

My only thought about this - which is why it needs to be decided very quickly -

The titles (at the bottom) are only for the Majors? Yes/ No?

Are they going to 'float' over the image in little banners like in the Robin Wood - which means everyone will need to leave X inch of non-design at the bottom to NOT be covered by the banner - OR

Will they be in a little box like the RWS - so the 'safe area' for the image might end up being something like 750 x 1250

oh myyy, I had never even though about titles being majors-only! Yikes, ANOTHER decision to be made...

I had thought all cards would get titles... Mostly because if someone chooses a non-"standard" visual representation, ppl would still be able to tell that this is the 7 of cups or whatever.

I'll post some graphic examples as soon as I'm on a computer rather than a tablet...

gregory

Veteran of many collaborative decks...

All most of us need to know is what size image you want, what kind of resolution you need, and whether we need to put titles on (I gather not, and I am SO with that.)

The only "time to do this" post needed in the last one I was in read:
Rules, one card per person. But you can have another card as soon as the first is turned in. Deadline is July 15th. So plan on doing your card right away. (that way you won't forget!)
Everything else the same as other years. Card size is 3.5 inches by 5.0 inches, with a design size of 2.5 inches x 3.75 inches. Just do image; card title and number are done on the frame.

The rest is making this far too complicated and will in my not very humble opinion slow things down dramatically. A poll on how titles would appear (I'd say by definition NOT on scrolly things, as that would take something from the images and someone MIGHT have put the exact most important bit where the scroll ended up landing !) and so on will start lengthy discussion and argument and delay anyone's working on their card.

The themed-or-not saga BluToy mentioned that ended up with a blue line took MONTHS away from the creation process, while we all discussed whether and how and why. Creation by committee is a nightmare. Collection if images by a committee works fine.

tarotbear

Veteran of many collaborative decks...

All most of us need to know is what size image you want, what kind of resolution you need, and whether we need to put titles on (I gather not, and I am SO with that.)

The rest is making this far too complicated and will ~ in my not very humble opinion ~ slow things down dramatically.

Yes - yes - yes, gregory ... })

Just tell us - "The image needs to be XXX pixels by XXX pixels. Leave an area for a number at top centre and remember the bottom XXX pixels will be obscured in part by a banner." :)

In this way annabel can adjust everyone's art accordingly to fit the size of the card.

Flames

TO EVERYONE - PLEASE READ - THANK YOU

We appreciate everyone's suggestions and creative ideas. Thank you for your dedication, inspiration, support, patience and PASSION!

We're working on putting some questions together and then we're going to have a POLL. Gulliver will provide more details later. You're more than welcome to continue to share your vision with everyone, whether you'd like the deck to have a border or not, whether the Majors should be numbered or not, etc., But, please keep in mind, we have yet to come to a final decision. :)

Based on what's been shared here so far, I have more than a general sense what people/we want in a deck...and personally, I see that most people are in agreement about certain matters, while not so much, about others. Which is fine! That's the beauty of exploring the creation of a deck together with such a wonderful community of people. We have a vision and then we work on setting some goals to help us manifest this dream. I'm sure I can speak for my team when I say, we appreciate your time and efforts. Sincerely.

So, when the time comes, please make your vote count! Until then, keep sharing. I know it can get frustrating, too. It's all good!!

Happy and excited to be participating with all of you.

Enjoy the day.
:)