Pre-occult interpretations of ancient tarot decks?

Tabris

I am new to this forum, so I am sorry if this has been answered before. I have leafed through a couple of pages in the history-section without finding anything concerning this subject.

Most of the books dealing with tarot-interpretations are heavyily influenced by Levi, Waite and Crowley - and the "occult revival". All though there exist many books and decks that have several new layers of meaning, the basics are usually still the same.
Using tarot for divination existed for centuries before Levi, so I wondered if anyone knows anything concerning what kind of symbolism they based their interpretations on? Does any books or documents exist today?

Sophie

Hi Tabris, and welcome!

Robert Place, in his interesting new book The Tarot : History, Symbolism and Divination gives a few avenues for investigation into divination before the 18th-19th century occultists got interested in the Tarot. Some of these are also described in Kaplan's Encyclopedia. Quoting a passage from Robert Place: "In the library of the university of Bologna, historian Franco Pratesi discovered a document written in 1750 tat describes a related method of divination utiliszing the entire Tarot that was practised in Bologna that century." He also suggests that Tarot was structurally suited to divination with dice. "In divination systems that use three dice there are fifty-six possible combinations that can be thrown, the same number as the cards in the four minor suits of the Tarot, with four royal cards in each suit." He also describes Renaissance parlour games in Italy where the Major Arcana (the trionfi) drawn randomly were used to describe the character of the participants.

DoctorArcanus

Tarocchi appropriati

Helvetica said:
He also describes Renaissance parlour games in Italy where the Major Arcana (the trionfi) drawn randomly were used to describe the character of the participants.

The game was known as Tarocchi Appropriati. I found an Italian site http://www.tarock.info/bertoni.htm with one of such compositions from Ferrara, dating about 1540 (according to http://www.tarothermit.com/titles.htm) and published by Giulio Bertoni in 1927.
Each Major Arcanum is used to describe a woman. I didn't know this, and I found it very funny :)
The Italian version is quite elegant too, I am sorry I cannot provide a better translation!
The cards are presented in reverse order (World to Fool).

Marco

Il Mondo
Violante Trotta. - She will rule everything by means of her wisdom.

La Justicia
Ludovica Gigliolla. - She keeps the balance looking at the sky.

L'Agnolo
Diana Trotta. - She has been made divine because of her beauty.

Il Sole
Virginia Trotta. - She blinds with her light.

La Luna
Violante Muzzarella. - She drives the weary sailor to the arbour.

La Stella
Giulia Trotta. - She can make you happy or disgraced.

La Casa del Diauolo
Laura Codegora. - The burning flame cannot be estinguished.

Il Diauolo
Catarina Perondella. - Wherever she wants she starts a fire and she needs no flame.

La Morte
Gentil Sosena. - My sight is wellcome to any gentle soul.

Il Traditore
Lucia Forna. - Don't trust her, unless you have an ostage.

Il Gobbo
Contessa Calcagnina. - I didn't think to come so soon.

La Ruota
Girolama Sacrati. - Some rise, some descend, nobody is still.

La Fortezza
Leonara Riminalda. - Like an hard rock between the blowing winds.

L'Amore
Laura Salviati. - Who looks at her forgets of himself.

Il Carro
Isabella Estense. - She is the only who triumphs for her greatness.

La Temperanza
Leonara Contuga. - She stops with ice the burning fire.

Il Papa
Hippolita Cortile. - She has the ruling of the world in her hands.

La Papessa
Isabella Vincenza. - She asks merci for the mischievous.

L'Imperadore
Battista Varrana. - She was born to rule the highest empire.

L'Imperatrice
Barbara Mosta. - With time her fame will reach the sky.

Il Bagatino
Genevra Calcagnina. - The game of her hands is quick.

Il Matto
Mamma Riminaldi. - Beauty without madness is useless.

Sophie

DoctorArcanus said:
Il Matto
Mamma Riminaldi. - Beauty without madness is useless.
Oh I love it! I will remember Mamma Riminaldi...

I am enchanted by this list, DoctorArcanus! Thank you :) This is the link between the game and the divination...

I think I might start a new (and old!) parlour game at my next dinner party. A friend of mine lightly suggested a soirée Tarot - and this is a perfect way to pass it. But not only for the women, methinks }).

A game and a reading of Tarot, anyone?

ps - which one is Il Gobbo?

f. silvestris

I think 'Gobbo' means hunchback - presumably equivalent to Old Man/Time/Hermit???

It's a beautiful pastime, I think we all should play.

Skydancer

Beauty without madness is useless.

Oh! I like it!

Thanks for the list - gives a whole new perspective on the Majors, doesn't it?? :)

*S*

Tabris

Thank you very much for your interestings answers! :)

By the way, "Gobbo" is the Hermit, yes.

Emeraldgirl

DoctorArcanus said:
Il Matto
Mamma Riminaldi. - Beauty without madness is useless.[/i]

I love it. I think I will use this tp help me get to know my deck a bit better :)

Sophie

f. silvestris said:
I think 'Gobbo' means hunchback - presumably equivalent to Old Man/Time/Hermit???

It's a beautiful pastime, I think we all should play.

Then I understand why someone might think he (she!) arrived too soon!

This is a very witty list - I was reading it again this morning - beats some of the keyword lists I've seen.

Mesara

Can anyone tell me what the names pertain to that are listed with each Major Arcanum and it's description. I noticed they are all feminine names..