The International Icon and Me

Satori

Almost all of my Tarot decks are packed away.
I can't believe it, but they are all in a big plastic box waiting for a safe dry place to live for a year.

And tomorrow, a deck will arrive in the mail that is to be my sole companion for six months-1 year. The International Icon Tarot will be my reading deck for the year, six months minimum....

I have agreed to this voluntarily. :bugeyed:
Umbrae suggested this course of action, and I agreed. :bugeyed:
lark offered to buy the deck, and Umbrae got it all ready to go.
So, they are my midwives in this endeavor.

They will get my frantic PM's when I'm having an attack of longing for the Merryday. They will hold my hands when I'm yearning for a peek at the Osho Zen.

Well, they never really said they would hold my hand...but you will won't you guys? Right?

This is a huge thing for me.

I hope I can do it. Be faithful to just one deck, for a year.

Wish me luck...

(Actually, if I want to also use a Marseille deck, and lucky me I own a Hadar, I am allowed.:rolleyes:)

Grizabella

Why were you told to just use this one deck for a whole year without all your other decks? I think I missed something somewhere.

FantasyWorld

Not sure why your doing it but I'm sure it will be worth it in the long run;) You are a strong woman, you can do it:D

Wishing you the best on this very difficult but worth it endeavor:love:
Alanna

Satori

Dearest lyric,
I was not told to do anything!
A very general suggestion was made and I agreed.

I'm agreeing to one deck for a long period of time in order to see what the value will end up being. I've been using a variety of decks since I went professional and now I'm going to read with just one and see what kinds of lessons present themselves.

I'm challenging myself to learn and grow in my Tarot practice by doing something that is very disciplined in a way. I very much respect both lark and Umbrae, and they both agree that this is a very important exercise.

If you or anyone else would like to join me, please, feel free!

FantasyWorld, I agree that it will be worthwhile.
Just don't know in what way, although I can imagine.

The focus will be about the numbers, and associations with the cards I believe.

Alta

elf, thanks for the explanation. :( When I started to read the thread I thought something awful had happened in your life. I mean, do without your decks for a year! That's awful enough.

So, the exercise is to focus on the tarot and not the decks and really get in touch with the numbers etc. I will interested to hear your story as it moves along.

bleuivy

Wow - This sounds like a huge step you're making, especially since you don't even own the deck you're going to devote yourself to yet.

How did you decide on which deck to use?

Jewel-ry

elf said:
Almost all of my Tarot decks are packed away.
I can't believe it, but they are all in a big plastic box waiting for a safe dry place to live for a year.

And tomorrow, a deck will arrive in the mail that is to be my sole companion for six months-1 year. The International Icon Tarot will be my reading deck for the year, six months minimum....

I have agreed to this voluntarily. :bugeyed:
Umbrae suggested this course of action, and I agreed. :bugeyed:
lark offered to buy the deck, and Umbrae got it all ready to go.
So, they are my midwives in this endeavor.

They will get my frantic PM's when I'm having an attack of longing for the Merryday. They will hold my hands when I'm yearning for a peek at the Osho Zen.

Well, they never really said they would hold my hand...but you will won't you guys? Right?

This is a huge thing for me.

I hope I can do it. Be faithful to just one deck, for a year.

Wish me luck...

(Actually, if I want to also use a Marseille deck, and lucky me I own a Hadar, I am allowed.:rolleyes:)

Wow elf, that is some commitment! We're not talking a week here (although that would be bad enough) but a year...a year!!

I am in awe of you. I have often thought of using one for a month but just can't bring myself to do it but I can see that there will be huge advantages. If you only have one then you will really get to know it well and to be so supported by the great Umbrae and Lark that is something else. I shall watch this thread with interest. Good Luck!!!!

Umbrae

I'll hold your hand..I'm here...it'll be good.

It's about focus.

It's not about the deck.

It's not about me. (or you or us or any type of 'possessive').

It's not about the spread.

It's about the sitter...

And love shall be thy mantra...

bleuivy

Elf suggested I post, so here goes...

I think I might join in on this crazy endeavour. I've been studying tarot for 3 years, but I only buckled down and started studying it seriously for one. In that time, I've bounced around from deck to deck (and had a great time doing it) but I feel like I've reached a plateau. I need to sit down and learn with one deck for long enough that I can see through the layers of a reading without constantly playing catch up with a new deck.

So I want to do this for an entirely different reason: Elf is a pro reader, and I'm still very much a beginner who's advanced enough I need to settle down for a while to get my bearings.

The only problem is choosing the deck: it needs to be something with enough symbolism to keep me interested for 6 months to a year, but also a deck I won't mind looking at every day (so not the RWS, alas).

I think there should be a support group for people crazy enough to try this. :D

Grizabella

When I said "told", elf, I didn't mean I envisioned Umbrae and lark standing over you with baseball bats. I just used the word "told" without thinking because I was intent on wondering why you were doing it. :)

Although I don't know if I'll last a whole year. I had already decided to just concentrate on using one deck for a long period of time to see what came of it. Maybe it's something you three sent into the universal consciousness and I caught it before it was even posted here.