The International Icon and Me

PlatinumDove

Alright, I'm going with the Thoth (the smaller one, not the larger green tinged one I have), and the Visconti Sforza for my unillustrated one. I'm still going to have to go into my car and get my Hanson Roberts out of there and into my Tarot decks bag.

Should I keep out my Book of Thoth? A shame I don't have a book on the Visconti Sforza. Gonna have to get a new journal for the two before Jaidyn comes.

Moonbow

I once worked exclusively with one deck for 4 months. (ok it was easy because I only had one deck).

The great thing is that I really got to know the deck but also, the things I learnt from that time are still with me. At the time I was only reading for myself, and about every situation I could think of. It got to the point where I wasn't even looking carefully at the pictures on the cards, they just spoke to me like a story.

I know this won't be the same as reading for other people, but it was a good grounding for me.

I also had a Tarot blank time (Lark remembers this :) ) I then started to use just one deck at a time. Now I chop and change less often.

Puting my decks away would be far more difficult though, I'm one of these people who compares decks... alot.

Power to you all for giving this a go, I'm rooting for you.

Jewel-ry

elf said:
So, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say "Ask Umbrae".
He's the reason I got started with this, and he knows the exercise and the decks pretty well. Is he the Knight? Or perhaps lark, our other mentor along the path to one deck wonder....?

Well I hope that Knight is wearing his shining armour :D

Hellloooooo Umbrae!!!! Lark!!!!!! A desperate cry for help...I don't have the II and really can't spend anymore money on decks. Any other recommendations from what I have?

~

Umbrae

Jewel-ry said:
Hellloooooo Umbrae!!!! ...I don't have the II and really can't spend anymore money on decks. Any other recommendations from what I have?
The idea here is to be basic. Simplify everything. Put it all away. Pack it all away. Pack the books. Pack the decks. Keep one very very basic WCS and one very very basic unillustrated pip'd deck.

A standard icky old USG Waite deck is fine if you don't have an ITT.

I really cannot recommend any other deck (or ANY books) for this exercise. You may wanna use a different deck; you may not want to pack up the books and the decks...

But this exercise is not about what WE want.

It's about being better readers in (face-to-face) readings with strangers.

This whole exercise is about stilling ego, so it's not about the deck WE WANT. It's about going basic, going lean.

Kind of like mystic casting off the trappings of the mundane world except a loincloth and a wooden bowel.

Go basic.

The IIT is the most basic of basic. In being so it helps open you up. Minimalism will set you free. You’d spend the money on dinner and a book – the deck is inexpensive.

Packing up books I hear you cry? You've got a book with 78-pages that can be arraigned in infinite chapters. What more do you need?

And I don’t wear armor…

Jewel-ry

Ok Umbrae, how soon can you get an International Icon deck to me? I think I will go the whole hog. Its gonna take me a couple of days to get this lot packed up anyway.

I was worried because I don't do many readings for others but I reckon this might just give me the push to do more so I am still gonna go with it.

I shall pm you.

Satori

Woohoo Jewel-ry!

elf chants:
I got a buddy, I got a buddy.
An II buddy, an II buddy!!!

Oh and kissa, american idol should be so lucky!

lark

Moonbow* said:
I also had a Tarot blank time (Lark remembers this :) ) I then started to use just one deck at a time. Now I chop and change less often.
Sure do Moonbow*! :)
Boy this thread sure has grown!
Jewel_ry I was going to tell you any deck you feel a connection with will do.
I never did a run with an unillustrated pip deck and so I've never to this day felt comfortable with them.
(I guess I should try this next time.)

What I did find important later was that I liked the decks I picked because I tend to use them very, very often now.
I loved the IIT right away...thought it was genius really.
So it wasn't a hard choice to work with.
Simplicity is the key word here.
You, a notebook, a pencil, and your deck.
Makes me feel like smiling just writing that sentence. :D
Those were happy days.

Jewel-ry

Well, I am packing them all away but the organiser in me is forcing me to order all the decks first :rolleyes:

I get you lark...notebook all ready, pencil sharpened, just need the deck. The unillustrated deck isn't a problem for me as I do most of my readings with the Marseilles or Italian decks.

~ elf ~ getting quite excited now! As I am packing them all away I feel a load is lifting, isn't that strange? I am starting to feel that if I am committed to not using them and they are put away then I don't have to feel guilty about having them. I don't know if there is any logic in that statement but hey it makes sense to me. It really is quite refreshing. Anyone else feel like that?

Satori

Yes, very true.
As each deck was tucked away, not ordered mind you, I felt, well, almost a sense of peace. Isn't that crazy???

Okay, anymore votes for our new thread name???
Did you like One Deck Wonder...

because the wonder of using only one deck will just hit and we'll be like, "Whoa"!

So how many of us are doing this?

Jewel-ry
bleuivy
PlatinumDove
kissa
elf
lyric
Emily

Wow. Seven of us?
Were there more? If I missed you my apologies...

You should all know, this is a total surprise.
I never thought anyone would want to do this.
It just never crossed my mind that people would pack up their decks and pick one or order the II and do this!

I love you guys!
thank you!

bleuivy

Well, I like the name One Deck Wonder(s?), but then I came up with it. ;)

Really, though, any name is fine. I think the important thing is having a thread that can be a support group for us crazy enough to try this, and also a place where we can discuss how our reading has grown and changed over the course of the one-deck excercise.