London shops

gregory

Sinner said:
haha, I wasn't really considering applying I was just interested in what kind of people they manage to get, so that I might go and see if they're any good lol

Nice to imagine though, getting a job somewhere like that.. perhaps in the future when I'll need the money :p

btw you must tell me how to use that death icon! :)

Two ways to find out - one would have been to "quote" me and you would have seen - but you just type a colon
:
and then TDEAT in capitals. (No space between.) There are loads of tarot smileys - have a look here.

I thought you'd like it ! ;)

Sinner

very handy, I'll have some fun with that :)

now, back on topic..

:TDEAT :TDEAT :TDEAT :TDEAT :TDEAT :TDEAT

gregory

One assumes you have already voted in the favourite majors thread ???? })

Little Baron

One thing I did notice at Watkings, was that if you did want a reading, there was a table set up in the window with a tape-recorder. Is this where they do it or is it just a publicity thing? I am not sure I would want to be sitting in the window when someone was reading my cards; or if I was reading them for someone else.

I was also wondering, Gregory, when you go into a place like Watkins, is there ever any decks you actually don't have??? You have such a large collection now, that I imagine a lot of stores do not often supply much surprise for you.

LB

gregory

LittleBuddha said:
One thing I did notice at Watkings, was that if you did want a reading, there was a table set up in the window with a tape-recorder. Is this where they do it or is it just a publicity thing? I am not sure I would want to be sitting in the window when someone was reading my cards; or if I was reading them for someone else.

I was also wondering, Gregory, when you go into a place like Watkins, is there ever any decks you actually don't have??? You have such a large collection now, that I imagine a lot of stores do not often supply much surprise for you.

LB
They said (on a poster in the store) that readings were "private" so I guess there is somewhere else....

No I admit - last time I was there, I didn't see anything I didn't have in the way of decks - though I found some excellent books ! (get the new Huson one !) - that does happen to me rather a lot.... more since on-line shopping took hold. But I bet there would have been something in the sale you just found :(

fairyhedgehog

gregory said:
Wonders in Covent Garden has really gone right off.....

In what way has it gone off? It's the only one I've managed to find so far (although I've now worked out where the other two are that you mention so I'll add them to my list of places to see next time I'm in town :) )

gregory

When were you last there ? I was there three weeks ago and they had about 6 decks, all on sale - and not multiple copies. They seemed to be going out of them altogether. I went there on someone's recommendation; I was really excited about a new one - and I was so disappointed..... I mentioned this in the thread where it was recommended and others had had the same feeling - including people who'd been there before, which I hadn't. They seem to have moved over into the silly practical jokes and nick nacks market. A shame if they were as good as people said !

Little Baron

They were very good at one point, and as far as decks are concerned, rivaled Mysteries with some very interesting titles.

But now, as you say, it is all tourist stuff and practical jokes. As if there are not enough of those kind of shops in town.

LB

fairyhedgehog

What a shame! I don't often go into London so it's a few months at least since I was last there. I know they did have a lot of knick knacks then, and their books of cards didn't seem entirely up to date, but it sounds like they've gone over entirely to the tourist trade now :(

I shall definitely have to check out the other two places you mentioned :)

Little Baron

I wonder if the shop has actually been taken over by someone else and bought with all the stock in it - they might be dwindling it out and bringing their stuff in gradually.

I think, when you go to Watkins, you might not need to go to another shop. There are two or so shops side by side. One is the book shop and the other is the centre that has the decks in. Be sure not to miss one or the other. There is a map in the thread I posted earlier on.

LB