Green Boxes, Card Backs, and Hexagram Styles

Lillie

None of the old decks, in the two part boxes, either by Weiser or Llewellyn, had ISBN numbers on them.

Nor do they have a hex card.
But they should have an OTO card. Though this is often missing.
But this is different from later OTO cards. (Slightly)

Nor do they have a LWB. I think you were supposed to buy the BoT with it.

Also, they are all the 'large' size.

catlin

Can't wait to get a "greeny" for my collection. I really want to see if it is really that hideous green hue everybody mentions.

Lillie

No. in real life it is a pale, pastely green. It seems more obvious on some cards than others.
It always looks darker in scans. I don't know why.

It's actually rather nice.

Dean

Hi Katlin

In my greenie Thoth my deck wasn't that green at all, i know Jeanette from TG as also said this about her greenie Thoth and didn't see any major green colouring on her's, my 1978 - 83 is not that green either but the front borders are between a green and greyish colour.

Fulgour as recently found a new old greenie red weiser in the green box with the red Hex card, and said his had better colour then my old greenie, so i think there are old greenies with better colour casts.

catlin

Oh, thanks for the hint, you two.

Yes, I never trust the scans as far as it concerns colours.

Fulgour

Systems Inc with a heart of Green

From what I can tell from reading about them,
since my collection of decks are all pretty Ok,
is that the real 'greenie' was an earlier edition
in the white box...and what we call small size.

The joke was on us though when usgames did
the large cards in a green box, hahaha (funny)
then changed the borders~ and the hex cards.

Lillie

Sorry Fulgour.

The real greenie (the one with the green tint) was only ever the large size. from 78 up to about 2000, published by both USG and Weiser, in the white and green boxes respectivley.
You find them with the copyright dates of 78 and 83.

There is a smaller size in the white box, which I think was contempary with the big greenie, and that was not green at all!
So that one is not green and has no back borders. cool!

Dean

Lillie said:
There is a smaller size in the white box, which I think was contempary with the big greenie, and that was not green at all!
So that one is not green and has no back borders. cool!

I wonder why nobody on AT has not come across this small Thoth with backless borders, the only small Thoth i have is with the 3 magus cards the colours are very nice on that edition, but of course the back borders spoil them.

I would like to get hold of that small Thoth edition with backless borders.

Lillie

Well, I could be wrong. But I'm pretty sure it exists, and that it has been mentioned on AT before.

Also, I think it has the 3 magus in.

Dean

Lillie
your are never wrong about the Thoth, thats why i'm so glad your one of the people here that gives alot to the Thoth threads.

Yes i think your right there must be a smaller version to the greenie out there somewhere, but maybe this edition only exsited for a short while.

It's funny but Fulgour as said that the old greenie is still available to buy, he's recently gotten hold of a brand new deck from Amazon, but this comes in the green box and said the print quality is very good, unlike my old greenie edition.