View Single Post
Citizen

juliecucciawatts 
6 of Swords- creator secrets...

Quote:
Originally Posted by greycats
Hi, Julie--
The study group is delighted to hear from you. An artist's comments on her own work cannot but help us appreciate it all the more--even though your hands do speak so eloquently.

And if I'm writing for the group, I won't be the least inhibited by your presence. What I usually try to do is to suggest avenues of interpretive approach by describing what I see to be important features in the arcana under study. I try to refrain from extensive interpretation myself. (But, yes, sometimes I lose control. Too much temptation! )

In this arcana, however, I went full bore into minute description (and still didn't cover everything on the card), because it's such a wonderful one for readers. It has all the familiar features of the RWS version, but each of these has been opened up, so to speak. A whole range of new interpretations are there to explore, and I wanted to point this out. I didn't want people to say, "OK, journey by water. Got it," and then stop thinking about the card.

We'd love to get it, too, while we're studying the Maat. Is there a fee for subscription? If the information is in the Maat book, I usually won't quote very much of it since I assume that everyone who has the deck also has the book. But some of the information in your email alert seems to be new, or at least summarized. Both non-pagans and persons new to lunar astrology might find it helpful.

Oh, about Pluto: I should have put a "smiley" after the question which was something of a joke. The scientific community has downgraded Pluto's status. It's no longer fully a planet. I don't expect the astrology will change soon if it changes at all. But I thought someone might like to comment.
"Anyone wishing to receive the MAAT Tarot -card/s of the week- emails just send me an email notice and I will add you to the mailing list. There is no fee. I am not sure if its allowed to post email addresses here or websites.
So if you need to find me just google me my email is on my website.

The Pluto demotion happened almost the very week that MAAT came out. This made me wonder about what that will mean symbolically. Pluto which I consider the planet for getting rid of stuff that has served its purpose, the planet of getting rid of the dead wood is now itself defunct. Does it speak of outmoded models of the afterlife? and does it mean that we may be on the edge of discovery in this area?

I am glad you all don't mind if I pop in. It really helps me to know what people's questions are about the cards. I love it when you all come up with new ideas I didn't even intend. It helps the cards to grow in meaning. Like the question about what the light reflecting off the swords could be... that is a great question."

continued from last night... When I posted last night I was nearly falling asleep at the keyboard but now I am awake and refreshed and woke up with a dialog about the 6 of Swords running through my head, its inception and my husband's comments when it was finished. First and foremost I don't want my view to be the paramont card meaning just one view in a multitude of unique perseptions okay?

The 6 of Swords for me it is a personal card. The first quarter moon in Aquarius is my natal card. I am a Scorpio with an Aquarius moon. So this card is a birth card and its symbol has played out in my life.

One thing that I think is important for people to do is take notice of all the Aquarian moon cards(The Star, the King of Coins, the 7 of Cups, and the 7 of Wands all have a river prominent in the image... see the star for the deeper meaning of the river)

The original colors for this image came from a cheap abstract hotel print in a hotel room my husband and my kids and I were staying in the color combination caught my eye and I drew it out as patches of color with the name of the color penciled in. I took that piece of paper home with me and used it.
The basic layout is from a painting by Mary Cassatt called The Boating Party(1893-94). The color for the water and the water itself was influenced by Benjamin West(1778) a painting called The Battle of La Hogue as well as John Singleton Copley's Watson and the Shark (also 1778).

The island is supposed to look like a woman's body( Mother Earth) but is also meant to represent the island of Avalon( Summerland or Appleland)
The island where Arthur was taken by the 3 queens at his death. It also represents the land of the dead. The sun was intended to be setting and my original intension was that the boatman was taking her and her son to this mythical island like the famed Charon who ferried the dead across the Styx.

This card as a mirror of my own life, illustrates my spiritual journey as a young adult(at age 21) I was spiritually reawakened by a man(my teacher in college who taught Native American Studies) whose last name was actually Boatman, during a time when I was a newly divorced and a single mom on my own with my young (18 month old) son. This encounter started me on my spiritual path and rekindled my interests in all things metaphysical.

My husband Peter's comment which shattered my original intention was that the man was rowing away from the island and not to the island as I had intended. This which was not apparent to me while creating this image also had meaning.

And these are the secrets of the 6 of Swords.
Julie
Top   #7