The Difference Between the Originals

Chrystella

Hello. I'd like to add the The Original Rider Waite Tarot Pack to my collection; I want the roses and lilies back.

When I search for it, I run into two images: the blue/gold cover and another with the image of Temperance. Are these two different packs or is it the same and the second is just being shown open? I've attached an image.

Also, do you have any suggestions about what to look for? I'd like to get an older one, close to 1993.

Thank you.

Attachments

• OriginalRWS.jpg
    OriginalRWS.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 371

rwcarter

I don't have time right now to go look at mine, but I believe the one with Temperance is the first edition of the deck (printed in Belgium) and the one on the left is the current edition, which could've been printed in Belgium, Italy or China.

Abrac

Yes, the one with Temperance on the box is the first edition. They used to be the same except for the box, but the one on the left (blue/gold cover) could have undergone changes in recent years.

bogiesan

Hello. I'd like to add the The Original Rider Waite Tarot Pack to my collection; I want the roses and lilies back.
When I search for it, I run into two images: the blue/gold cover and another with the image of Temperance. Are these two different packs or is it the same and the second is just being shown open? I've attached an image.
Also, do you have any suggestions about what to look for? I'd like to get an older one, close to 1993
Thank you.

Welcome to the family and good luck in your quest. I think you're going to end up with four or more copies of this edition of the W-S deck as you try to locate the one you really really really want. It happens to all of us.

Search used book aggregator sites and, of course, yard sales. I have purchased out of print tarot decks from Goodwill and other thrift stores that post their wares with aggregator sites. Great fun. But also visit your local new age emporium and look for tarot classes or meetup groups in your area. Great way to find enthusaists who have more than one copy of a particular deck.

Emily

The Original was my first RWS, I had no idea other versions existed. I bought it from our local WHSmiths, now long gone. I know it was sold as a set also with the Waite book included, Pictorial Key to the Tarot, but I only had the deck. Looking at your link, I think that is the book and deck set.

Chrystella

Yeah, it's a deck and book set. I picked one up on ebay and I'm waiting for it to arrive. Hopefully, it is as depicted in the auction. Sometimes people list the current pack with an image of the old.

Chrystella

So I got two Originals (long story) - one with Temperance on the cover and one with the roses and lilies box. The cards are a shocker.

I've seen them online so I knew they were more red than other editions. I wasn't prepared for how rough they were going to look - really dotty on the faces. The poor Magician looks like he has rubella. And they're so heavily laminated. I wasn't expecting that either.

I scanned The Fools next to my Yellow Box and Centennial. Here's a big photo if you want to see.

Of course I'm going to keep them and I'll give them a chance. I'm amazed by how much variety there is among RWS.

Abrac

I like the Original 1 best of all, based on your picture.

Have you seen kenji's antique W/S decks? I think The Original Rider Waite Pack is based either on Pamela B or C. You could compare and see if you can tell. The antique cards look pretty rough, but I think the ORWP looks even rougher.

Does the one with Temperance on the box also have heavy lamination? If I remember right those were printed in Belgium and were laminated, but not excessively, imho. The other one might have been printed in Italy and that could account for heavy lamination. Out of all the ones I've seen I like the one in the Temperance box the best.

I don't know how US Games' quality control can let decks like this get out there. You'd think they'd want every deck they put their name on to be perfect but sadly that's not the case.

Chrystella

Thanks for that link to Kenji's materials, Abrac. It's fantastic.

My Temperance was printed in Belgium. I think it has the nicer colours, but it feels very plastic-y. The Original 2 is from China. It feels better, but the colours are a shocker.

I think my ideal deck is something between the Centennial and Original 1 with roses and lilies backs (or maybe even the pebbled backs), no copyright, matte finish. A girl can dream.

Abrac

A guy can dream too. I've been hoping for something like that for a long time. A true and faithful reproduction of a Pamela A or C with pebbled backs (and no ******* copyrights). :)