View Single Post
Citizen

JackofWands 
Citizen

I do keep the GD's letter attributions, because the letters (through the Sepher Yetzirah, which probably isn't all that great as foundational Kabbalistic texts go, but which is the one I always end up referring back to) are so intimately bound up with the astrological correspondences of the cards. Why is Death Scorpio? Well, because it's Nun. Why is the Emperor Aries? Because he's Heh. And so on (even though the GD did invent their own order for the planets, which I finally just stopped whinging about and memorized).

It's also worth noting that a lot of the Kabbalistic stuff isn't just a symbolic system that's overlaid on top of esoteric Tarot, but actually went into the latter's formation. For that reason, it's difficult to pull away from the GD way of doing things too much, because the GD made Tarot what it is today. (Etteila's deck is almost unrecognizable as a Tarot to modern eyes.) Retooling the organization of the Tree of Life for personal use is one thing, but I'm very careful about throwing out too much--which is the same reason that I still revert to the Kircher Tree in public discussion where consensus matters.
Top   #29