Marseille Reading - Dynamic Hexagramme Spread - Flornoy Dodal

le_charior

Hello everybody!

I am still very new to Tarot and this forum, but have done quite a lot of reading and thinking and daily cards and spreads for myself in the last months, so I'll just jump into the cold water with my very first public reading. I am a "pure" Marseille reader, it was my interest in the Marseille that lead me to Tarot and the amazing ressource that is this forum. (Let me know if I misunderstood any of the rules about posting readings, please, i read them and tried to follow as good as I could.)

My question:
"What guidance can you give me?" That's what I thought while I shuffled the cards - I did not have a specific question in mind, but wanted some guidance or insight from the cards on what to pay attention to in my life right now.

I understand that a general reading is not so easy for alternate interpretations, so a little background on me: I am a gay man living in Munich in Germany, 32 years old, working as a freelance graphic designer and publicist in the movie business. Have been living in Berlin and Paris for the last 10 years before I decided to return to my home town Munich, mostly because of my whole family is living here. After two longer relationships (8 and 1 year) I am single right now, and ok with it, even if I wouldn't mind having a partner soon again :) I am mostly happy with my health, my work, my family, my friends, so no reason to complain!

My Deck: Flornoy's Dodal
(http://www.tarot-history.com/Jean-Dodal/index.html)
My very first and still my favorite and the only one I use for readings/daily cards for me. Even if the collection is growing… A picture of the spread is at the bottom of this post.

Spread:
jmd's Dynamic Hexagramme Spread as explained in this thread: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=58319
Great thing about this spread for me is how open and flexible it is. It also allows you to discover what the reading is actually about, when you do a general one. My favorite spread so far, more complex than 3 cards, but nothing too complicated to distract me from the cards themselves.

My Method of interpretation:
I try to mix an intuitive reading, based on what is represented on the card with some knowledge of the historic background and the specific symbols used in the card. Also partly based on Enrique Enriquez way of reading the Tarot as a series of visuals, as a "story board". Looks, directions, positions etc. For the pips I additionally use a combination of associations/meanings for the suits and my own little system of numerology - when there is no strong visual impulse coming to me from the card. Still very much in the making, my "system".

The Spread ___________________________

Code:
 _______       _______       _______       _______       _______       _______
|       |     |       |     |       |     |       |     |       |     |       |
|       |     |   [color=chartreuse]A[/color]   |     |   [color=chartreuse]B[/color]   |     |   [color=chartreuse]C[/color]   |     |       |     |       |
| [color=chartreuse]Open[/color]  |     |       |     |       |     |       |     |       |     | [color=chartreuse]Close[/color] |
|       |     |       |     |   [color=chartreuse]D[/color]   |     |   [color=chartreuse]E[/color]   |     |   [color=chartreuse]F[/color]   |     |       |
|_______|     |_______|     |_______|     |_______|     |_______|     |_______|

[color=orange]1             2             3             4             5             6[/color]

The Reading ___________________________

Once the cards are layed six-in-a-line they may be read in the following manner

Opening Card
The opening card (card 1) gives what is present as an underlying impulse in the situation at hand, whether this be a relationship, a work situation, or whatever it is the reading is about.

It may also indicate what the reading is actually about in cases where either there is no specified question, or where the ensuing reading seems to address other than the supposed question.

I turned the cards one by one, so I did not know what the other cards were when i i about the cards.

Card 1: XVIII La Lune (The Moon)

represents for me a sad event a few weeks ago, when my sister lost her baby in the 5th month of pregnancy. This was a very sad and a bit traumatic event, I went to hep her and her other kids while she was in the hospital, and I was very much affected by it. In a 3 card reading during this time La Lune came up for the first time. It has a twofold meaning for me:
- on the one hand it is hinting to the female, to birth, to the arrival of something new, that hasn't developed yet, especially with the figure of the "lobster". Someone in the excellent How May It Be Read-thread on the card pointed out that it is a map of the human soul, representing the Unconscious in the lobster (sorry, I know it's not a lobster, but keep forgetting what it is…). Here, it is the unborn in the literal sense of the word.
- on the other hand it is a dark moment, but with the knowledge, that it will pass. The moon will move on and reveal the sun that is behind it. This, too, shall pass. There's a light… in the darkness of everybody's night. (Over at the Frankenstein Place!)

I can't say it any better than kwaw did in, again, the amazing How May It Be Read-thread: http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=429634&postcount=95 (i can't express how much this post touched me and helped me. Thanks, for this, and all the wisdom and fun and kindness here at AT!)

Central cards (2, 3, 4, 5)
Cards 2 and 3 can first be looked at as part 'clarification' cards for card 1.

I felt I did not need clarification this time.

Then, the situation at hand is described as it manifests in ABC (cards 2, 3 and 4). This is basically a three card reading which may be show forth various pertinent aspects (financial, physical effort, psychological, etc).

Card 2: Le Fol (The Fool)
Card 3: Six coins
Card 4: Ace of Swords

Le Fol is walking towards the future, away from the situation. As the lunar eclipse passes and the sun comes out again, he continues his journey. The blue animal jumping at his leg repeats the blue dog howling at the moon. My sorrows are following me and will bite me in the ass if I don't deal with them in a good way. The fool reminds me not to be to careless, to take things seriously. The coins and the sword seems to be things on his way, that he has to overcome, to traverse.

I usually understand the sixes as balance, as an arrangement with a situation, but waiting for a new impulse. With coins representing (for me) the material level, interaction (social, but also financial) this could represent my economic situation which has been very unstable in the past, but has been getting better and more balanced right now.

I can't help but see the Ace of swords in the Dodal as a party. Confetti! A party hat! Flowers! I will go to the Venice film festival next week for work, but there are lots of parties involved, so this hints for me at the good times and the fun ahead.

So the first three cards tell me not to forget my sadness, not to bury it in me and let financial issues and the fun I'll have in my job distract me totally from it. It is there, the grief, and needs to be dealt with, better now than later.

The situation is of course never static, but in a permanent state of transformation. This is what DEF (cards 3, 4 and 5) now show as a 'new' three card reading.

Card 5: Nine coins

The second 3 card reading, a sword surrounded by coins, six to the left, nine to the right. I understand Nines as completion, before the circle starts again in the stagnation of the ten. Nine is movement, but in the sense of "Panta Rhei", Everything flows, only by constant change things can stay the same. Things will be getting better, economically. Through my work and the fun I have at work, things will work out on that level. Continue enjoying it, you're on the right route.

The Closing card (6) gives an indication for the manner in which the future pulls the situation into its sphere. Again, here, cards 4 and 5 can be looked at as clarification cards for the final or closing.

Card 6: III L'empereur (The Emperor).

L'empereur is looking back at the past, at the voyage undertaken, but not in a sad, melancholic way. Rather it is through retrospective and thinking about the past that he comes to conclusions for the future. In the series of Trumps it is the next one, Le Pape, who is looking into the future and giving advice, but he can only because of the insights gained when L'empereur looked back at the past. Don't forget where you're coming from. The expression "Master of your own destiny" comes always to my mind when I draw L'empereur, I think because he seems so relaxed, the way he sits, relaxed but receptive.

6082333700_674fe36666_b.jpg

So, overall: Don't bury yourself in your grief, but also don't deny yourself the time and thought you need to deal with it. Job and finances might seem a distraction, even an obstacle, but they will continue to develop positively, so don't get lost in them. Don't live in the past, but learn it's lessons and emerge better and stronger. Suprising for me were the coins, and that there were no cups, which i expected after the first card.

Very much looking forward to any comments, suggestions or different readings! And thanks AT Forum for this opportunity!

le_charior

(Edited for spelling mistakes and to replace the picture that represented a wrong card, as pointed out by BrightEye, thanks!)

BrightEye

You said card 5 was 9 of Coins, but in the scan you have the 10 of Coins.

le_charior

You're right! That was an error when I placed the cards of the reading to photograph them on a darker background later. Will replace the photo. Thanks for pointing it out!

BrightEye

Reading this row of cards in the BrightEye free-style method, I'd say the cards are advising you leave the emotional aspect of your life, which is traumatic if not for you then for your loved ones, behind and concentrate on building your career and your world, and by implication theirs. With the 6oCoins I also think you are called upon to share the fruits of your labour, particularly your creativity. Communicate some of the things you work on - or the results of it - to your loved ones.I think it will benefit them. I think the Emperor is asking you to take charge. Make something for the ones you love. Does that make sense?

le_charior

Reading this row of cards in the BrightEye free-style method, I'd say the cards are advising you leave the emotional aspect of your life, which is traumatic if not for you then for your loved ones, behind and concentrate on building your career and your world, and by implication theirs. With the 6oCoins I also think you are called upon to share the fruits of your labour, particularly your creativity. Communicate some of the things you work on - or the results of it - to your loved ones.I think it will benefit them. I think the Emperor is asking you to take charge. Make something for the ones you love. Does that make sense?

Thanks for the input!

It makes total sense to me. I didn't connect the two spheres (work and family) in my reading at all, just saw them separately (as I tend to do in my life). Nice interpretation to see it as an impulse to share my work or creativity with my loved ones.

May I ask you a little more about your free-style system? I can more easily understand free-style for all cards with (human) figures involved, but still feel I need some kind of supporting system for the pips, so would be especially interesting for me if you could elaborate a little on the six coins! (if and when you have time, of course!)

BrightEye

6 of Coins
I see the 4 coins in the middle as the wealth (material and/or otherwise) you've acquired. The two coins on either side can be seen as two people or family units who tap into the wealth of the 4.

9 of Coins
9s are about completion but also about building your own world, making it beautiful. Because it's a 9 and can be read in relation to the Hermit, I'd see this as something that is enriching to you alone at the moment, but since your work is a process, the 10 is kind of implied. For me the 10 of Coins is about investing in something, using your funds to achieve something, either for yourself or others. You're working towards an investment.

le_charior

6 of Coins
I see the 4 coins in the middle as the wealth (material and/or otherwise) you've acquired. The two coins on either side can be seen as two people or family units who tap into the wealth of the 4.

That is a very convincing way to read the card in this context!

9 of Coins
9s are about completion but also about building your own world, making it beautiful. Because it's a 9 and can be read in relation to the Hermit, I'd see this as something that is enriching to you alone at the moment, but since your work is a process, the 10 is kind of implied. For me the 10 of Coins is about investing in something, using your funds to achieve something, either for yourself or others. You're working towards an investment.

I share your ideas on the 9, but in a way I always have problems connecting pips to Majors. Seems so unfair to the last 11 trumps ;-) or do you connect the numbers 1 - 10 to the second half of the series, too?

BrightEye

I share your ideas on the 9, but in a way I always have problems connecting pips to Majors. Seems so unfair to the last 11 trumps ;-) or do you connect the numbers 1 - 10 to the second half of the series, too?

No, I don't. But some cards I find hard to read otherwise. You can also read the 9 as the number of completion, if you look at the 10 as the energy that needs to be shared; otherwise it becomes stagnant.

Lumen

Le Charior,

I'm sorry to learn about your sister's loss. And yes, Le Mat after La Lune shows this card taking away that motherhood, and moving towards a path of rebuilding health and in-gathering - you and your sister's family - to begin a psychological healing (AdE). 9dD shows the end of a physical or material ordeal, and it will bring back order, discipline, and structure in your life (L'Empereur), although it does not seem to be an easy way there. The last card seems to be focusing on, or enforcing this ending; it is something you must do and cannot get away from, and it is not going to be easy.

Hang in there, we all go through trials and tribulations in our lives, it is hard, but once we've been through, we are stronger and better suitable to endure life - these are humbling experiences that teaches us to let go of trivial and meaningless conflicts.

Good luck on your journey.

le_charior

Thanks for your interpretation and your kind words, Lumen! Makes total sense to me, and I like your way of seeing the cards, with a very specific meaning for each card. I agree with what you say about the necessity, but maybe hardness of the journey to trave.