A new de-enabling thread

Rosanne

All Is One said:
As Afrosaxon says:

*_______________________________________*

(flatline)

I need the paramedics. Now.

I hoped you died well and with honour or the paramedics came.
There is a big part of me that dislikes de-enabling threads.
If I de- enable you and you de- enable another, publishers will stop publishing....and then I will flatline for real. So please excuse my comment about deeply disliked decks...that was a lie. I love all my decks- even the ones up in trees or the mistakes buried in my rose bed.
~Rosanne

gregory

ROSY ! Thank you ! Now I can open my package when it arrives :D

*Oops, leaves thread.....*

But do remember that we in here are the serial buyers who might, if not de-enabled, go bust and never manage to buy the decks we don't mention here because we know we are going to buy them.... when did you last see me ask to..... :|

truelighth

Ok, owner of the Wooden Pirate deck coming to the rescue... I hope :D. I usually am not that good at de-enabling and very good at enabling }).

Yes, I do have the Wooden Pirate Tarot. But I mostly got it to look at and not to read with it. If you are imagining reading with this deck, then take it off your list RIGHT now! (and just wait for the paper version :) ). The cards are nice, but I would never risk reading with them. I find them way too fragile. The pieces of wood are too thin to shuffle in my opinion and domino shuffling or whatever also doesn't work.
Also, my majors and minors are a different size. Ok, so I bought them separately. But who wants to read with a deck that has different sizes?

Besides it is indeed $500, wether you buy it from TG or from the authors themselves. Just think of how many other decks you can buy from that money.

How am I doing for de-enabling? *grin*

truelighth

Le Fanu said:
PS... just found it. No marquetry in sight, just scratched in with a penknife.....

It has been made by laser from what I understand (by Dragonfirelaserwhatevercompany). Which means that sometimes there is a burn mark on the cards. I have several cards with such a burn mark. The wooden cards are not very thick.. thick enough to just look at, but I would never dare to shuffle them.

Rob

Well I definitely had imagined reading with them, so if they're too fragile for that purpose, they're largely useless to me. Also, the majors and minors are really different sizes? That certainly precludes reading for the most part (though if they can't be shuffled, I guess it doesn't matter much).

While this isn't enough to take it off my wishlist, I've at least moved it down a few pegs. Some part of me holds out hope that you're exaggerating and it might be semi-readable after all with extra care. :p Plus, I mean, how cool would it be to have a tarot deck made of wood? I guess I'm still in need of a little more nudging against it! :) But this is definitely a step in the right direction. Thanks truelighth!

truelighth said:
Ok, owner of the Wooden Pirate deck coming to the rescue... I hope :D. I usually am not that good at de-enabling and very good at enabling }).

Yes, I do have the Wooden Pirate Tarot. But I mostly got it to look at and not to read with it. If you are imagining reading with this deck, then take it off your list RIGHT now! (and just wait for the paper version :) ). The cards are nice, but I would never risk reading with them. I find them way too fragile. The pieces of wood are too thin to shuffle in my opinion and domino shuffling or whatever also doesn't work.
Also, my majors and minors are a different size. Ok, so I bought them separately. But who wants to read with a deck that has different sizes?

Besides it is indeed $500, wether you buy it from TG or from the authors themselves. Just think of how many other decks you can buy from that money.

How am I doing for de-enabling? *grin*

Cat*

Strategeus said:
Some part of me holds out hope that you're exaggerating and it might be semi-readable after all with extra care. :p Plus, I mean, how cool would it be to have a tarot deck made of wood? I guess I'm still in need of a little more nudging against it! :) But this is definitely a step in the right direction. Thanks truelighth!
Just think about taking it with you, and how you'd freak out every time someone accidentally bumped against your bag, no matter how much padding you put around the deck (and what if the "cards" aren't exactly flat? wouldn't that tremendously increase the likelihood of them breaking?)... Think about the weight of it when you carry it around... And if you don't intend to carry it around, imagine how pirates will react to being stuck in one place (that doesn't move across an ocean)... :bugeyed:

Aren't there other things that would be cool to have (if indeed you believe that "it would be cool to have" is a good reason for buying anything?) that you could buy for $500? And while we're at it: what's "cool to have" about a deck that can't be read with because it's too hard to shuffle properly and the minors and majors have different sizes but that still costs $500, no matter how wooden it is?

Hope that nudges you further away from it. :)

gregory

truelighth never exaggerates. She has enabled me horribly over the years.

If SHE says don't - DON'T !!!

Rob

gregory said:
truelighth never exaggerates. She has enabled me horribly over the years.

If SHE says don't - DON'T !!!

Between gregory's sage wisdom and truelighth's experience with the deck, I've decided to remove it from my wishlist. I can think of a lot of much better uses for $500. If it were half that or less, I'd buy it without a problem, but at $500 it's just too steep for something I can't use for its intended purpose. Thank you everyone!!

Aerin

Or you could:
buy some nice wooden blanks
stick a deck on them (or do your own if you can)
varnish the result

and it would probably be a lot cheaper.

Aerin

Rob

Next up on the de-enabling list...and this one might be tricky...

Tarocchi di Valentina Visconti per il Palio d'Asti

I find myself strongly wanting this deck, and it's very expensive and hard to find. Let the de-enabling begin! And let me express my appreciation for all of the wonderful help you all are giving me. :)