Does anyone do readings for their pets?

misifu

This may sound silly, but there are times when I do a reading regarding one of my pets. My question is, does anyone else do this, and if so, is there any particular significator card that you would use for your pet? For instance, would you use the Fool card if you were reading for your dog ( or cat depending which deck you use ) or what? I would appreciate any kind response.
Lots of love,
Misifu

tarotbear

I know there are "Pet Astrology" books out there - I used to own the cat one!

There is the "Tarot for Cats" deck and book set -- but it's really meant for humans. Very, very funny, written from a cats' point of view. It even has it's own set of feline spreads - in the cats' paw spread one Tom is trying to figure out what awaits him at the Spay & Neuter clinic...very tongue-in-cheek!

misifu

Hello Tarotbear,
Actually, I do own both those decks, although I don't use Tarot for Cats especially since I found out it was out of print. As for Tarot of the Cat People, I agree, that it is really meant for humans, although I have used it for "pet readings".
Sometimes, however, I want to know what is going on with my pet, and believe it or not, some of my clients want to know about their pets as well. I have a pet spread that I use and that of course answers any question. It's just that I believe I read somewhere that if you want to use a significator for a pet, you may want to use The Moon and the Fool regarding dogs, The Queen of Wands and Strength regarding cats, The Sun and The Chariot regarding horses, however, I don't use any of these as significator cards. Let me point out that it is not a matter of life or death if I don't have a significator card, but I sometimes use a spread where I pick out a significator card and put cards surrounding it to see what "surrounds" you.
My pet spread is different, perhaps I'll post it up next time.
Lots of love, Misifu

raeanne

Yes, I read for my cats!

jadecat

Hello Misifu,
Reading for pets sounds interesting! I'd like to see the pet spread that you use. There is a deck (I forget the name) with animal pictures surrounded by a pink? border.
Might that be one to use for this?
jadecat

ericadoe

I read for my cats when I had to give them up (turns out my son is allergic). I just wanted to be sure that their new home would be good for them and that they would be happy. :) I just used a Celtic Cross with significators for both, based on their "purrsonalities". Both spreads were very positive!

destinyawaitsme

Ok, had to share a story.

When I first got my Shapeshifter Tarot deck and was very new to tarot and cards and their meanings, my older...skeptical brother told me to do a reading for my dog Pumpkin to give her guidance. So jokingly I shuffled and drew a card...and oddly enough I drew The Double (an extra major arcana added to the deck.) Here's what the book said: "Movement and freedom become possible by letting go of your habitual conditioning... Remember that you are a boundless being." Did the deck know she was a dog? I don't know. I wouldn't recommend reading for your pets...but, i guess it's possible.

joya250

misifu, I've heard of this before, though I've never tried it (successfully) with my two cats. I would be very curious to learn your spread!

raeanne

Power Tarot by Trish MacGregor and Phyllis Vega has a Pet Spread that looks like this:
1-----2
-3---4
--5-6

1. What your pet is trying to tell you.
2. What your pet is feeling right now, what it desires.
3. What you can do to help your pet.
4. What your pet needs most at this time.
5. Your pet’s general health.
6. Something your pet will need or feel in the near future.
7. Overall outlook for your pet.

misifu

Hi Raeanne,
You beat me to it, that is exactly the pet spread that I use, although sometimes when I want to a quick general reading I use a significator card and surround it with 8 cards, however, I do use the pet spread. I like to do reading for my pets especially if I suspect that somethings not quite right with my pet or my pet is acting peculiar, or just coz. For instance when I picked up a kitten that I named Panda, I did a pet spread on him and the outcome card was the 4 of swords, which I interpreted as him becoming ill, maybe having to put him to sleep. What happened? Well, my neighbor found him hurt ( he was already grown ), lying on some tall grass, and quickly alerted me since I could not find him. When I went, he had gone, but a few days later, I noticed a strange smell coming from underneath my house ( I have an old house ), and unfortuntealy, he was no longer alive. The cards were right.
Misifu.