Lo Scarabeo Cardstock

Debra

Differences in cardstock and printing have been noted for years now, with publishers large and small. It's informative to the readers, is all. If it's happened with lo scarabeo, too, why not point it ou? I don't see it as an attack that requires a "defense"! Are you saying that G6 is making this all up, that s/he didn't compare the decks and see a marked difference, that G6 is imagining it?

Sheesh.

gregory

No - but on the other hand, since s/he seems to be the only one to see this marked deterioration and refuses to take it up with Lo Scarabeo, it would be sad if everyone came to believe that all Lo Scarabeo decks were being printed on progressively worse stock - especially as most of us have not experienced that at all.

Debra

??? Aw Gregory--Both Falcor and banbha corroborate that the cardstock is thinner, and banbha says the stamping shows through to the back. G6 seems to care about this and I can understand why, as I too have abandoned decks with cardstock I hated.

I'm not worried about LoScarabeo either way--I just think it's fine for people to describe their decks and assess them, even if they are from a favorite publisher. ;)

ana luisa

One more customer quite satisfied with LS decks and stock. The only stock that, to me, surpasses LS quality is AGM Muller. But both are top notch AND durable as well. Even the paint doesn't chip or come off.

G6

Done.

Dear Lo Scarabeo:

I am a big fan of your tarot decks. I am writing because I am unhappy with the card stock on a recent purchase of your Nefertari Tarot ISBN # 978 8865 272312. This card stock seemed very thin/cheap for one of your premium priced gold foil decks. Furthermore, I compared it to my 1998 Secret Tarot and the quality of the card stock and lamination seems much lesser. I have an overall concern that you are not producing the same quality decks from years past. To remedy this situation, I sold off my Nefertari Tarot mentioned above and I plan to only buy used vintage decks or decks you define as premium with better quality card stock and printing. I have also made a post on the AT website about your card stock to keep you honest about your product and to encourage you to use the best materials and printing methods for your decks. You may find that discussion here:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=275492

Thank you for your time and careful consideration of this matter.

gregory

Well done, G6. Because they do care.

Trogon

I have a few decks from Lo Scarabeo; Egyptian Tarot (Alasia), Tarot of the 78 Doors, The Secret Tarot and Dame Fortune's Wheel Tarot. And I've felt that the thickness and feel of the cards, while slightly thinner than, say USG's decks, they're quite useable. Oddly enough, I just got the Tarot Illuminati and that card stock is heavier than most of my other decks. I think Kat Black's Golden Tarot is the only other one I have that is as thick. It was a bit of a shock to get a Lo Scarabeo deck with super-thick card stock!

G6

I have a few decks from Lo Scarabeo; Egyptian Tarot (Alasia), Tarot of the 78 Doors, The Secret Tarot and Dame Fortune's Wheel Tarot. And I've felt that the thickness and feel of the cards, while slightly thinner than, say USG's decks, they're quite useable. Oddly enough, I just got the Tarot Illuminati and that card stock is heavier than most of my other decks. I think Kat Black's Golden Tarot is the only other one I have that is as thick. It was a bit of a shock to get a Lo Scarabeo deck with super-thick card stock!

Yes, overall Lo Scarabeo has come up with a very user friendly design for their decks in terms of size, shufflability and border/icon size and placement.

Trogon

I thought it might be interesting to quantify things a little bit. I happened to have 2 Lo Scarabeo decks out right now - one "regular" and one "premium". The regular deck is my Egyptian Tarot (by Alasia), which my sister bought for me several years ago and I thought was a tad thin. The premium is my brand-new Tarot Illuminati, which I had commented felt thicker to me.

For comparison, I also have an older copy of the Karma Tarot from U.S. Games and my brand-new Hermetic Tarot also from U.S. Games.

I got out my dial caliper and measured a random card from each deck (measurements are in U.S. inches)

Egyptian Tarot; 0.011"

Tarot Illuminati; 0.016"

Karma Tarot; 0.012"

The Hermetic Tarot; 0.014"

I was somewhat surprised that the deck that felt the thickest (and consequently the stiffest) was only 5/1000 of an inch thicker than the thinnest deck. It was also surprising to me how little difference it takes for me to actually feel.