I Ching Holitzka or I Ching Dead Moon deck?

missy

Does anyone have suggestions as to which deck of these two you like best: the I Ching Holitzka or the I Ching Dead Moon deck?

I have had my eye on both for awhile.

Do you prefer one over the other? Or do you like both? :D

Le Fanu

The Royo Dead Moon I-Ching deck feels, above all else, like something decorative for those who crave more flourishes to boring old hexagrams, those who are "predominantly" visual in their divination but fancy a change from tarot cards. The thing is, it's not really I-Ching. It feels like a calendar. In fact, I think it might actually be a calendar. I guess it's supposed to be intuitive. I remember it has lots of naked torsos and sensuousness

The Holitza is a lovely deck. And so simple to use (you draw two cards and the different lines are the moving lines). I like the pen and ink swishes. It feels oriental but not fake.

The Royo deck feels a bit teenagery in comparison...

Laura Borealis

I have the Holitzka, and have only seen scans of the Dead Moon.

The Holitzka is gorgeous imo. I love how the delicate washes contrast with the bold brushwork, and how the artist incorporated the I Ching symbols into the images. Since the figures are just silhouettes, there are no facial expressions to influence the interpretation. Instead of a thin pamphlet, the LWB is pretty substantial at 114 pages. You wouldn't need another book unless you wanted one.

The Dead Moon, the art doesn't really appeal to me, so I've never looked into it.

Alta

I own the Holitzka, two copies, and have used the Dead Moon, owned by someone else. To me the Dead Moon is just pretty pictures, very little relationship to the I Ching. While the Holitzka image (of course) doesn't interpret the whole range of the hexagram, it does give a very good interpretation, in my view. Also I love the delicacy of the brush strokes, very fitting.

Chronata

I don't have either one, but the Dead Moon just doesn't do it for me, personally.

I considered buying it...just so I could have ANY I Ching deck, but something always stopped me....and I can't put my finger on it.

However I think I have instantly fallen in love with the Holitzka, at first sight!

It just feels more...genuine somehow. And beautiful in an unusual primitive way that seems to affect me instantly.

Richard

I don't care for either deck. Why not do authentic I Ching divination? It takes only about five minutes to learn the coin oracle method, then you don't have to bother with cards.

Le Fanu

I don't care for either deck. Why not do authentic I Ching divination? It takes only about five minutes to learn the coin oracle method, then you don't have to bother with cards.
Or even quicker - and equally tactile - is the system using marbles which they say is nearer the yarrow stalks in terms of probability than the coin method.

You can use any colour of marbles, not just the colours shown here. You just have to have the correct numbers as shown.

I use this method along with a wonderful, concise book which I got from Moonbow*. I love it. And you don't even need a table.

Alta

True. The OP did ask about the two decks and I was responding to that, but I agree with you. I use this, made by a member here, Wales Woman. It operates on the same principles as the marble method, replicating the odds for getting each line using the traditional yarrow stalks.