Sibilla deck help

garmonbozia

It is a matter of personal preference. If I had to choose one of the ones currently available, I think I would choose the Every Day Oracle (Vera Sibilla Italiana) by Lo Scarabeo on the basis of historical authenticity (it has the least changes).

IheartTarot,
Thanks for the advice! What is the original deck these are based on?

marimorimo,
thanks for the image! do you happen to know if this one is a third version, or if it matches one of the other two?

SIBILLADELLAZINGARA.jpg

Poly,
I didn't know that Sibillas were Dal Negro's original product, so thanks for that.

I only own two Sibilla decks currently, both I found for good prices in ebay auctions, but I never got around to learning anything about them. They are both Dal Negro decks: the Facile Sibilla Regionale and the Misteri Della Sibilla. I think I need to start with some of the more traditional ones first, as I didn't know what to make of these two. I think I'll start with the Every Day Oracle, and go from there.

Does anyone know which deck this is?

Sibillaoracle.jpg

garmonbozia

Are these decks clones of any of the other ones posted above, or are they their own thing?

Sibilla Della Fortuna
sibilla-della-fortuna.jpg

Il Vostro Destino
vostrodestino.jpg

And are these more or less the same deck? From the few images I can find, the cards look very similar to me:

Sibilla Indovina
p091_1_14.jpg

Sibilla Oracle Cards
51oqhKnGd9L_SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thanks for your help!

IheartTarot

IheartTarot,
Thanks for the advice! What is the original deck these are based on?

All I know is that the original is dated 1890 (per web sources relating to the Il Meneghello reproduction here and here). You can also buy the Il Meneghello reproduction from Alida.

marimorimo

IheartTarot,
marimorimo,
thanks for the image! do you happen to know if this one is a third version, or if it matches one of the other two?

SIBILLADELLAZINGARA.jpg

Oh! now that I looked properly at the official LoS link, I realized I made a mistake.... There's the older edition with pale borders, another version with the black borders and theSAME non-reversible backs as the older edition (LoS site), and a third one (the link above), which has the same black borders and multilingual titles as the newer edition and reversible backs in red. I own the third one, which I bought at a local bookstore last year. I can't give you ISBNs though, as I have left my copy in my home country.

Sorry for the confusion!

WolfyJames

3. Are these two the same deck? Similar or the same to either #1 or #2?

The Parlour Sybil
564968562_tp.jpg

La Sibylle des Salons
61QWKYSxVXL_SS500_.jpg

The La Sibylle des Salons (Parlour Sybil), a french sibilla, is the first sibilla that was created, inspired by the famous french sibilla Mlle Lenormand. The deck was so popular that other countries created their version. The italian sibillas usually have the same number of cards (52 cards + 2 querent cards). But considering there are different ways to reads cards, with either 52, 36 or 32 cards, other countries came up with different numbers. Like the Zigeuner Wahrsagekarten that has 32 or 36 cards.

garmonbozia

Oh! now that I looked properly at the official LoS link, I realized I made a mistake.... There's the older edition with pale borders, another version with the black borders and theSAME non-reversible backs as the older edition (LoS site), and a third one (the link above), which has the same black borders and multilingual titles as the newer edition and reversible backs in red. I own the third one, which I bought at a local bookstore last year. I can't give you ISBNs though, as I have left my copy in my home country.

Sorry for the confusion!

Thanks! So both the current version (the one on the LS site) and the third version that you have (the lighter colored box) have the same fronts? just different backs?

I really hope I can find the one with white borders some day, but I can't even find the ISBN for it (or a listing for it on any websites, even an empty one).

marimorimo

So both the current version (the one on the LS site) and the third version that you have (the lighter colored box) have the same fronts? just different backs?

Yes and yes.

Cerulean

Here is an c. 1880 copy somewhat earlier than Il Meneghello (?)

http://www.tarot-as-tarocchi.com/antiche_2.html

La Vera Sibilla (Sconosciuta) 1880

The last selection on page 2.

Probably it is 1880-1890 is about right for the deck, but this was the earliest I could find of this one right now. My earliest sibilla that is not Il Meneghello is circa 1947 by Arminino and circa 1950-60 by Modiano, but likely you can find some Modiano or other sibilla copies that are 19th century. My earliest Modiano tarocchi is actually 1948.

Best wishes

Cerulean

All I know is that the original is dated 1890 (per web sources relating to the Il Meneghello reproduction here and here). You can also buy the Il Meneghello reproduction from Alida.

IheartTarot

http://www.tarot-as-tarocchi.com/antiche_2.html

La Vera Sibilla (Sconosciuta) 1880

The last selection on page 2.

Thanks Cerulean, you are a treasure! :heart:

I know someone who has a very similar antique version (see pics attached) from her Italian grandmother except it has lottery numbers on it which must have been added later. Il Meneghello reproduced the one without lottery numbers (see pics here), Lo Scarabeo reproduced the one with lottery numbers (see pics here).

Attachments

• LVS1.jpg
    LVS1.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 457
  • LVS2.jpg
    LVS2.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 416