View Single Post
Resident

Adrian Goldwetter 

Hellow Fellow Citizens.

Yes. I don't sleep. My only concern is this matter at hand (for now).

Now I know that most of the hard working population here and elsewhere has not the time to go to museums and look on matters of importance anyway they want.

So: I did it for you - and brought something back to appease the thirst for knowledge that surely now has afflicted the hearts of the faithful - and with no time for a (virtual) visit at hand reach this should be an even more excruciating pain I thought...

...and so proceeded to action!

When you learn about paper production in Renaissance you'll see that it was all about getting the water out of the mushy pulp you made first...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_machine

>> History of paper machines

Long before the invention of continuous paper making, paper was made in individual sheets by stirring a container of pulp slurry and either pouring it into a fabric sieve called a sheet mould or dipping and lifting the sheet mould from the vat. While still on the fabric in the sheet mould the wet paper is pressed to remove excess water and then the sheet was lifted off to be hung over a rope or wooden rod to air dry. In 1799... <<

So UNTIL the dawn of reason paper was produced following this above described method that you can still replicate on your kitchen-table (in principle).
The most severe problem is to get enough water out to produce a cohesive layer of paper that can be worked with.

Writing and drawing or folding paper hats goes with practically any stuff.
Cardboard instead is a whole different animal.

And STRONG cardboard - well - you would have to be somewhat imaginative with your resources there in your kitchen...

The craftsmen who produced the cardboard for Filippo's treasure here were quite good because you can see that the cardboard of the "card" is quite dense - but NOT as dense as modern quality cardboard would be. Today we measure the thickness of paper in caliper (measured in '')

Here is a product from amazon.com that fits the 2 mm bill of my model exactly:

0.08'' (0.203 cm which rounds up to 2.0 mm)

http://www.amazon.com/Chipboard-Cali...HH2FRVBSX8NNFE

In Milan back then you would have had to go to the next supplier in town and work with what he had got - maybe with Filippo's resources you could have placed an order for a whole batch to your artisan convenience - but when it was ready you would have to come again and approve whether it was rugged enough for "card making" - the special one you had set your mind on!

You would have decided by FEELING what the cardboard was able to do (bending to a certain amount - but really not much) or not (breaking for instance) and "caliper" wouldn't have clouded your thinking to much because USEABILITY for the purpose you had in mind and pondered a lot was key in your decisions - and those were foremost guided by what a "card" should be able to carry on his/her plate. Like it was DONE.

When you look at the making of the surviving 74 you can surely tell with one glance that a game of cards at a table wasn't the first purpose they got their appearance from. Just the FORMAT of 173 mm to 87 mm would have been much to clumsy for that purpose - or let's just say not the best choice for a game. What would be granted by that dimensions was (and still is) that the depictions can be seen very clearly from a distance of up to 10 feet maybe.

On tarothistory.com I have written more about this and the why.

Here is the foremost issue to clear the 74 survivors from the suspicion of "card games" because they are honorable bee-ings and not be be charged with the crime of shallowness by anyone.

So far this was a good day and I wish the same for you

Adrian
Top   #3