Bohemian Gothic - Danse Macabre

Master_Margarita

In keeping with MRP's custom, this is a nonstandard card included only in the Silver (First) Edition of the deck.

As if this deck needed more "memento mori" reminders, this card alludes to the convention of the danse macabre of European medieval paintings, showing Death walking to the grave with varied figures from all walks of life, reminding us that death comes to us all (a little like the Death card in the RWS deck, no?). To me the sole living human in the card seems stunned, robotic, hypnotized. At least one of the skeletons is so insubstantial that we can see a window frame through it. Perhaps the skeletons are not real.

I'm not sure this card adds anything to the deck's function as a Tarot deck, although it is artistically pleasing to me. I include it in my deck, but I don't see it very often. Do you include it in your deck when you do readings? Why or why not? How does it work in your readings?

Discuss.

:heart: M_M

Thirteen

Alas, I have only the regular deck--have to wait for the 2nd edition which I hope will have it's own silver edition. But if I did have it...absolutely I'd include it! I always like tarot decks with a wild card.

Storm82

i also like "wild cards" :)

and... danse macabre must be the must beautiful extra card (gosh I wish I had the silver edition!!!)

WolfyJames

In my case I don't know why but the cards reminds me of the vampire movie Roman Polanski made Dance of the Vampires. There is a part toward the end when these vampires covered with dust dance and they seem entranced as they dance and they lack flexibility, feels like each movement makes their bones crack, they're very old. Technically they're skeleton with dead flesh on top. And their human victims, in this case the red headed girl Roman has his eyes all over, dances as well entranced, unaware of her surrounding and of the vampire host and guests and of the danger she is in.

I keep the card in my deck but so far that one has never come up.

The second edition won't have a silver edition. And beside even if there was, considering Baba and Alex have changed cards, there could be a chance they would change that card as well.

ncefafn

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a German edition, which printed the extra card by accident.

baba-prague

We have taken Danse Macabre out of the second edition entirely. There IS another wild card, but I see it more as something you would take out and frame or use as a bookmark this time - it is our take on quite a well-known image and though it could be used in readings, my hunch is that it won't be. I don't want to announce just yet what it is, but it'll soon be shown on our site.

I haven't seen Polanski's Dance of the Vampires for years, so will go now and see if I can find any clips. Thanks for that suggestion.

Alex and I were both very inspired by The Master and Margarita when we made this deck and this dance scene, though it's very different in style from our card, was in my mind when we designed Danse Macabre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJsHuXXukjw&feature=related
(sadly it's not very good quality here)

baba-prague

Thanks - yes, I remember it now. Great scene!

Master_Margarita

baba-prague said:
Alex and I were both very inspired by The Master and Margarita when we made this deck and this dance scene, though it's very different in style from our card, was in my mind when we designed Danse Macabre.

Wow! Well, it should be obvious how I feel about The Master and Margarita, but I see Margarita as a very different figure at her ball--empowered, not zombi-like. But it's an interesting additional tidbit to fill out my thoughts about this card.