Question about Tree of Life correspondences

graspee

Hi there, I'm still chugging along, still learning...

Anyway, I just finished the first part of Lon Milo DuQuette's Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot, the part before the actual individual card descriptions.

I took in all the stuff about Qabalah but I have a few questions that maybe someone would be kind enough to answer or to point my in the right direction to learn the answers. :)

1) If the ace to 10 of suits correspond to the sephiroth and the majors correspond to the 22 paths between them, to what do the court cards correspond?

2) If there are four trees of life and the small cards of each suit correspond to the sephiroth of each one, doesn't that imply there should be four sets of majors?

3) In the "flash of creation thingy" (which actually isn't explicitly shown as a diagram in the book but I researched elsewhere), where the lightning passes from kether down to malkuth, why does it pass from binah to chesed where there is no path? Is this something to do with the fact that it's cutting through daath and crossing the abyss? I have seen the lightning drawn differently on at least one site, so that it doesn't go along anything except a 22 path, (basically it goes binah, tiphareth, back up to geburah then to chesed then yesod, yod, netzach to malkuth). Is this other way wrong? It seems weird for lightning to go up, even if it's temporary.

Thanks for any help you can give me. I have been finding this book very interesting, although I thought it would have a larger emphasis on divination. In fact divination is at the back of the book almost as an afterthought, and even then the author just liberally quotes Crowley rather than giving his own thoughts, and neglects to include an explanation of elemental dignities, which is confusing because he does quote Crowley's thoughts on certain cards when they are "ill-dignified".

lucifall

graspee said:
1) If the ace to 10 of suits correspond to the sephiroth and the majors correspond to the 22 paths between them, to what do the court cards correspond?

According to the golden Dawn:
Kings(Knights) on 2. Chockmah;
Queens on 3. Binah;
Knights(princes) on 6.Tipharet;
Pages(Princess) on 10. Malkuth

graspee said:
2) If there are four trees of life and the small cards of each suit correspond to the sephiroth of each one, doesn't that imply there should be four sets of majors??

Majors stay on the same path:for example:
Aziluth of Kether to Aziluth of Chockmah will be the fool, just as this will be for the worlds of Yetzirah, Assiah en Briah of resp. Kether and Chockmah in the other 3 trees. Might also be a reason that they are called Majors? Bigger than Minors, containing all 4 elements...as the majors walk on the paths of the four trees.

On this internet pages you will find the different alternative representations of the tree of life:

http://www.digital-brilliance.com/new/themes/fourworlds.php

QUOTE=graspee] I have seen the lightning drawn differently on at least one site, so that it doesn't go along anything except a 22 path, (basically it goes binah, tiphareth, back up to geburah then to chesed then yesod, yod, netzach to malkuth). Is this other way wrong? It seems weird for lightning to go up, even if it's temporary.[/QUOTE]

The way Up is the Path of the Serpent.

http://www.innerlight.org.uk/journals/Vol23No2/serpent.jpg

Light Lucifall

graspee

Thanks for your answers. The upward motion that I was talking about though was not from Malkuth right up to Kether, as in the opposite to the lightning flash of creation, it was an alternative flash of creation that involved going up to slightly backtrack, to avoid the issue I suppose of travelling a non-standard path from Binah to Chesed.

You can see it here:

http://www.kabalist.com/

Grigori

graspee said:
2) If there are four trees of life and the small cards of each suit correspond to the sephiroth of each one, doesn't that imply there should be four sets of majors?

If you check out the 4 color scales, it is interesting that the majors have a different color in each of the for worlds :)

bradford

graspee said:
3) In the "flash of creation thingy" (which actually isn't explicitly shown as a diagram in the book but I researched elsewhere), where the lightning passes from kether down to malkuth, why does it pass from binah to chesed where there is no path? Is this something to do with the fact that it's cutting through daath and crossing the abyss? I have seen the lightning drawn differently on at least one site, so that it doesn't go along anything except a 22 path, (basically it goes binah, tiphareth, back up to geburah then to chesed then yesod, yod, netzach to malkuth). Is this other way wrong? It seems weird for lightning to go up, even if it's temporary.

It might help to consider that the flash of lightning (bazak), suggesting that the ten came in their proper sequence, was an idea that developed in words long, long before there was a Tree of Life diagram (it's first found in Sefer Yetzirah 1.6, and in the Zohar). It was one of many things that had to be incorporated when the diagram finally evolved into its Kabbalistic form.
This created many puzzles and mysteries to play with, and half of the fun is in finding ways to rationalize them. For one, in its descent, the Divine can cross the abyss in a leap, this being a seriously high voltage spark, but on the return trip, the evolving spirit in Gilgul (reincarnation) or Tikkun (redemption) has much more severe challenges with Daath and the Abyss, due to both its knowledge and his ego.

graspee

Thanks Bradford, it really helped to realize that the description came before the diagram as we know it today.

lucifall

graspee said:
Thanks for your answers. The upward motion that I was talking about though was not from Malkuth right up to Kether, as in the opposite to the lightning flash of creation, it was an alternative flash of creation that involved going up to slightly backtrack, to avoid the issue I suppose of travelling a non-standard path from Binah to Chesed.

You can see it here:

http://www.kabalist.com/

Graspee

Food for thought this site
Thanks!

Light
Lucifall