Card 47-The Oak Men

Satori

The Oak Men came up quite a bit recently when I was doing readings for others at the Harvest Festival. I admit that whenever they showed up I was perplexed and at a loss as to what to say about them.

I began by talking to people about oak trees. As I talked about the mighty oak, sort of streaming out what little I know about these trees, I felt myself connecting to the Oak Men. I felt them as so compassionate. They were there, a deep strength, rooted and waiting to help. Help how? Dunno.

The Oak Men drifted into a reading for an older woman. She was immediately frightened by them. She saw the teeth coming out of the side of the mouth of the Father (don't ask, he is the Father to me) and I asked her to talk about her reaction. (This was my trick when I was stuck. Asking people to tell me what they saw. And there is so much to see, that I was impressed when people were giving themselves readings, and didn't even realize it.)

She couldn't say. She just was fearful. She was not asking a question, but revealing that she has illnesses. I can't remember the card, but I started the reading talking to her about a hidden concern of hers, and then the Oak Men came in. She was having a medical problem and none of her doctors would listen to her. They just kept telling her she was fine. I felt like the Father wanted her to trust her knowing, her wisdom.

She left me determined to seek a doctor who would listen, she was ready to do battle if necessary.

I had a few amazing moments like this one. But my lesson was that the cards teach when I listen. I was nervous to read with the cards because I haven't been thru the book much and I haven't really read for myself much with them. Just sorting them, taking them with me, looking at them. And then I jump in and do the readings at a festival! But I learned some wonderful things.

Alissa

Nice synchronicity... the Oak Men came up for me in a reading just yesterday myself! And at first sight, I was a bit perplexed as to what they were trying to say too.

They're very quiet, aren't they? Don't offer much verbally, but the sense of stability and groundedness... the ability to set down roots, and the patience of the millenium-old Oak Men... these were the kinds of images that came to me.

On a personal note, I was drawn to the colors as they looked wintery to me. This assisted me in this particular reading as a guesstimate time frame to the question at hand.

I too noticed the teeth, except to me, they looked like ancient pets that people own who have lost their teeth, and have like one or two protruding, strangely, from the mouth. If anything, they struck me as "useless" teeth, unable to harm anyone. For display, not usage.

Today, I'm even wondering about the winter message and adding to it the concept of a biting winter. With this card, one could reflect, Is there an element to this situation that may "bite me in the butt"?

I kept seeing sadness in his eyes as well. I took a look at the book, I tend to do that now that I've worked with them for a while, and I sometimes want to know what the originator's message was too. I tend to fold the book meanings into my own, which I come to first, however. They are "supplemental reading" if you will, to a reading.

Froud discusses how he changed the color of the eyes, and people gave him various responses as to the Oak Men's mood. Perhaps he has one of those inscrutable faces that causes us to project ourselves on to it, like many of the Fae do.

For a real mind bender, follow Froud's advice and try reversing the card. Now what do you see??? })

paradoxx

The oak men call to protect nature. Long lived trees hold divine powers, as with all trees. Autumn leaves in the wind preparing for winter snows. Oak trees live on.

floracove

Ya know, it's funny, sorta, but makes so much sense to me...

When I first saw the Oak Men, they made me think of my father and his brother's.
My father's family live in the woods, and know so very much about nature, and growing things.

A connection to the land, to heritage...

Satori

Hi, that is interesting eh Alissa, that they were there for us so close to each other.

I love the Oak Men.
I have a stand of oak trees that are on a small hill right beside the house. All of our bedrooms are upstairs, right under the oak branches. And I have often thought of them protecting us. They hold no menace, so much so that even the husband has commented that if lightning were to strike he says they would just never hit the house, the branches or the trees.

Was this clear?
I meant the tree branches wouldn't fall on the house.

Jewel

Faunabay did a reading for me last week and yes the Oakmen were there. To me they are a card of age old wisdom. I have always associated them with wisdom, and sometimes protection.

TemperanceAngel

I've had the Oak Men looking at me for the past three days, I love this card. I love trees, so much wisdom in their stillness.
I noticed that when I felt sad the other day when I drew this card, the Oak Men looked really sad, those eyes, so much depth...
Today I feel much better and when I looked into the Oak Men's eyes they no longer looked so sad.
Perhaps the Oak Men mirror our own emotions, we look into their eyes and see the depth of our own souls?
Those eyes, they go on forever.
Right now they seem to be questioning me: "Is it OK to talk now that you feel better?"
So humble....

sagitarian

The Oak Men

Honestly, this card has always reminded me of the Ents in Lord of the Rings. This card I believe represents the heart of the homeland of the fae. When we think of the faeries most natural environment, most think of the forest, and the forest is filled with trees. Inside this simplicity is why I believe the oak men is filled with so much wisdom, truth, and feeling. There is no one side to this card (nor any other card in this deck).

Alissa,
I have turned the card upside down a long time ago, and now I always see both sides regardless of how the card is turned. It reminded me of the age old belief about rocks with holes in them. For any that don't know, it's believed that if you look inside a rock that has holes, you will see the "other side" or the realm of the fae through the holes. Rocks with holes in them are very rare indeed, but can be found when you look for them. Often they look solid due to dirt filling in the holes. So you have to go on a rock hunt to find these precious "looking glasses".

I believe the oak men are protectors of the land of the fae, and you see inside them what you feel inside yourself. Only when you face yourself and are comfortable and accepting of who you truly are will they permit you to go further into the land of fae.

When this card comes up, I tend to go with what I feel from the card, sometimes this means the person needs to be extra protective over themself and loved ones, other times it means they need a new perspective on something, and other times it commonly means acting like your mad but your really not (the harmless teeth, or baring of teeth, but you really wouldn't use them). When the oak men do come up in readings that i've done in the past, there usually is a heavy involvement of the querent facing their innermost honest feelings about the situation that they are asking about.

Sagitarian

TemperanceAngel

sagitarian said:
and you see inside them what you feel inside yourself.
Agreed sagi, I think that was what I was getting at and thinking too!

dolphinprincess

sagitarian said:
Honestly, this card has always reminded me of the Ents in Lord of the Rings. This card I believe represents the heart of the homeland of the fae. When we think of the faeries most natural environment, most think of the forest, and the forest is filled with trees. Inside this simplicity is why I believe the oak men is filled with so much wisdom, truth, and feeling. There is no one side to this card (nor any other card in this deck).
Sagitarian

This is exactly what I thought - especially the reference to the LOTR. Sagitarian - you always have the best insights into this deck. I love reading what you have to say! :D