astrology study group ~ virgo

isthmus nekoi

Welcome to a new chapter in the study group!! Wow, I can't believe we've only got Libra left to cover....

Today the sun has entered Virgo, following Venus and Mercury who's in his home sign. So in this thread, we'll be looking at Virgo, Mercury and the 6th house.

For those starting out, do check out the index thread which includes all our past discussions here: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?threadid=12481

isthmus nekoi

Mercury, while ruling such things as gambling, commerce and magic, also rules medicine. So it follows that this mutable earth sign rules health, diagnosis (analysis) and service. Perhaps this diagnostic focus is a result of the agriculture time; here we decide to proceed w/the information needed to make the decisions of Libra which are exacted in Scorpio where we reap the harvest and cull the flock.
---
Both Virgo and 6th are empty in my chart, Virgo cusps my 8th, and Cancer cusps 6th. Merc is in Cap/12th.

Overall, I think Virgo energy is very weak in my chart. 6th house doesn't really factor significantly into my life. Even w/Saturn making his rounds there, I'm not really feeling it, not yet anyway. At this point, it's all playing out in the houses of the planets Saturn aspects.

Merc makes some hard aspects, back to planets in the 8th house, which Virgo cusps, further emphasizing the influence of the uncon on my perception/cognition. However, I'm not sure how much influence I'll give to Virgo in terms of the 8th house b/c I have 3 planets (Jupiter, Saturn, Pluto) in the 8th in *Libra*. b/c Saturn is exalt in Libra, I'm assuming it is stronger than Mercury's placement. Pluto is also accidently dignified in the 8th and again makes the Libra influence stronger.....

Moongold

I have Mars in Virgo in the 9th House. The main impact has been that of a tendency to perfectionism which has its good and bad points. I’m a good researcher and gatherer of information. My first profession was librarianship which I thought I just drifted into and ended up loving. It seems that with Mars in Virgo it was a good instinctive choice. Mars in Virgo can also make me over-critical of self and others

Natal Mars opposes my natal Moon very tightly (0.09 degrees) and consequently has had a very powerful influence in my life. Mars in Virgo squaring Moon in Pisces is an interesting relationship and a little like being caught between two drives :). I’ve worked hard on issues arising from this aspect. Transiting Mars is opposite Natal Mars at present.

My 6th House holds Uranus who is in direct opposition to Mercury in my 12th House (6 degrees). This has been a very significant aspect all my life, but particularly now.

I didn’t realise that Mercury ruled the 6th. Chiron has also been given that role in contemporary astrology but Mercury makes more sense.

To sum up, the time of Virgo is quite significant for me.

Minderwiz

Traditionally, Virgo rules the belly, stomach, bowels, navel and spleen. Given that Virgo is associated with worry (because of an emphasis on getting the detail right and ensuring routines run well) - people with Virgo Sun, Ascendant or sixth House ruler may well suffer from ulcers, Iritable Bowel Syndrome, Indigestion, etc.

My daughter is Virgo rising and she suffers from IBS in times of stress.

I have my second House cusp in Virgo. There are no planets in the sign but its ruler Mercury is in Scorpio and in my fourth House which is in an extremely tight T Square with the Moon in Aquarius the sixth and Saturn in Leo in the twelfth (largest orb 11 minutes).

Certainly money doesn't come easily with this aspect pattern - Saturn indicates restriction and limitation of earnings and possibly self undoing (12th) related to income (2nd). The square to the Moon indicates a routine career in public service (the Moon can signify the public and the sixth is the House of Service.

Unfortunately this seems to have been born out by my career to date. However I'm hoping that Mercury in the fourth also might indicate a career from home and that is yet to come.

isthmus nekoi

Minderwiz said:
Traditionally, Virgo rules the belly, stomach, bowels, navel and spleen. Given that Virgo is associated with worry (because of an emphasis on getting the detail right and ensuring routines run well) - people with Virgo Sun, Ascendant or sixth House ruler may well suffer from ulcers, Iritable Bowel Syndrome, Indigestion, etc.

Oh! I was previously associating Pluto w/IBS b/c of his rulership over elimination. Plus the guy lives in the dark bowels of the earth... :p Minderwiz, is this association incorrect?

Minderwiz

Isthmus,

Don't forget that Pluto was only discovered in 1930, so the traditional texts would not have any such association. The basis of Melothesic Man (Astrological rulership of the body) starts at the Head with Aries and moves down to the feet with Pisces. The planets also have individual rulerships as well. Virgo corresponds to the stomach and bowels area on this basis and you will find that this rulership runs from ancient time through Culpeper and Lilly right up to modern writers such as Marcia Starck.

Starck does see Pluto as ruling the excretory function but IBS is a problem of the digestive system and the intestines, which is Virgo's area. I have seen IBS described medically as an interaction between the central nervous system and the gut immune system. The central nervous system is ruled by Mercury and the guts are ruled by Virgo (and of course Virgo is ruled by Mercury).

So I'd really take IBS as a Virgo (and Mercury) problem and not a Pluto problem.

oceanpoetry

I have a stellum in Virgo, first house. Virgo Rising, Moon in Virgo, Jupiter in Virgo, Pluto in Virgo and Uranus in Virgo. Virgo (and by extension, Mercury) rules my chart. I am a fast thinker, like worked with ideas and communication, working on computers and technology come naturally to me, I learn quickly, and can easily adapt to my environment. I am also analytical, detail-oriented. On the downside, I do tend to worry too much, and when I under stress, my stomach gets upset.

I hope with the planets moving through Virgo, Sun, Jupiter, Mercury, this is going to bring in good luck and optimistic attitude.

purplefishy

I have Virgo in my 11th house, as well as Mars, Jupiter and Saturn all in Virgo. It's quite odd, because I'm very watery.

isthmus nekoi

Moongold.... I was wondering, if your natal Mars is squaring natal Moon in the *opposing* signs (Virgo-Pisces).... how are they forming a square??

Minderwiz, thanks for the clearup! Perhaps Pluto would be more fitting for something like food poisoning. Bugs, toxins, and elimination. Sounds right up his alley!!!!

oceanpoetry,
Don't forget lovely Venus, planet of pleasure and beauty! She is also in Virgo now. I hope it's nice time for you as all those planets leave your 12th house and party in the 1st. Take note of any important aspects your Virgo stellium makes, and which houses those planets are placed. Those transiting planets will be setting them off like balls in a pinball machine :)

purplefishy, I would imagine Mars and Saturn in Virgo to aid you in decision making and taking action. A lot of water is generally condusive to passivity...

Moongold

isthmus nekoi said:
Moongold.... I was wondering, if your natal Mars is squaring natal Moon in the *opposing* signs (Virgo-Pisces).... how are they forming a square??

Typo, Isthmus. I should have said opposes :).

Natal Mars is actually square Saturn.