MAAT Tarot Study Group -Exercise-pick 1 card for 2008

juliecucciawatts

Hi Gang,
Thought I would try an experiment here. Hoping to get a dialog going on our
study group. And maybe take us in a new direction of activities. Here is a
simple exercise- Draw one card for 2008. I'll start.
My card for the year 2008 is...

The 6 of Coins
First Quarter Moon in Scorpio.

So here I see this little girl(me) all dressed up for a party with a gift
on my lap. The first thing that comes to my mind, is this my gift
to open or am I waiting to give this gift to someone else? Or will
the answer be a combination of giving and getting. Perhaps this card
will be symbolic of me trying to unlock and synthesis all I took in
during my trip to Egypt last fall,it was a huge 'gift' to get to go there.
The painting on the wall suggests perhaps I will be putting brush to canvas this year. The 6 suggests harmony, and Balance...there is MAAT again.

The moon is waxing giving the impression of the energy of increasing
light. I am pretty happy to get a first quarter moon as I am most comfortable when I am smack dab in the middle of working on something and I am starting to see some results. The only downside I could see here is having this fancy dress on is not too conducive to going outside and playing and there is an air of formality and waiting...the need to be/stay perfect.
Having the card depicting me symbolized as little girl also makes me feel like I am still a babe in the woods to the ways of the world or in the eyes of the world? Still needing to mature in some way.It is also a big mile stone birthday year for me turning 50...not much of a babe anymore really. Being surrounded by beautiful things is nice, but the whole scene does seem rather sedate. It reminds me of a photo I once saw in a book two kid sisters in perfect party dresses smiling pretty and then the next shot the same two sisters are covered head to toe in mud wearing the same party clothes.

Well I hope others will take the time to pull a MAAT card and see what they get for 2008. Your comments on my reading are welcome.

Happy New Year!
Julie

I'll just be sitting here in my little white dress waiting for a response.;-)

magpie9

I pulled the King of Wands. I see him as a conservatively dressed 18th Century Gentleman. Obviously a thinker, in comfortable circumstances. He is writing, taking notes from a book featuring " the Rude Man", a hill carving in England, who is nude and brandishes a club. On the wall there is a painting of a man brandishing a club, wearing an animal's skin, over his head and shoulders. At first I took the painting as being a Mithraic rite, a sacrifice by a priest of that time. (The book says it's Hercules, and connects these images to Freemasonry.)
Air of Fire, I think. He plans, he sees the big picture, nothing is accidental. Secretive, hidden...which connects to John Hancock, before the Declaration. A methodical man, patient in the way a hunter in winter is patient. He can leap from apparent stillness into full flaming action in a heartbeat. He believes the means are justified by the ends, is somewhat amoral, but committed to causes he considers greater than himself.
It is hard for me to trust him to truly serve the greater good, I see too much politician and too little honest passion in him. I would not want him to have much power in my life. But then, in fairness, this winter I am dealing with lots of issues around power and being manipulated, so it's a very sore spot.

So I laid out 3 more cards to try and understand this card, and in context with the next year.
I laid out:
This card does not mean this: 10 Pents
It means this: 7 Coins, AND this: High Priest.
So:
The work and planning and study I've done to provide for & direct my world will pay off in 2008, in the material world. A comfortable year, I will have what I need. Ain't nobody going hungry in any of these cards, on any level. The study and work I have been doing with Tarot and spirituality will also manifest in a deeper & more fluent understanding of these things. that will be working in my life as a more grounded manifestation and ease with the world, on many levels. I will be reading deeper, my practice will increase, I will teach and I will write this year. Finally writing. These cards both connect me to the simple physical world as well, in that my health will be in harmony with the world I live in. Tradition furthers; I do not need to go Way Out There for treatments, etc. I'll do fine doing what I do now.

And along with that, wily-nilly, there is the leader stuff, where my Sag sun and Aquarius Rising gang up on me and the next thing you know I'm leading a mob to storm the Bastille wondering how I got to be the one Out In Front of all these people. :bugeyed: It indicates to me that the little revolution I've been spearheading at work for most of the last year will succeed, to the betterment of all, and the harm of none.

The Revolution that the Kg W is preparing for is, first of all, within. This year it can manifest for me in the outside world as well. Finally!

Well. Ermmm....off the stage for me, it's someone else's turn now. I'll be in the room with Julie in her party dress telling her that the gift is the one she gives all of us with her Art and her Mind.
Perhaps a little Hot Chocolate all around would be nice while we're waiting for the next person to post? With Gingerbread, of course.

wytchwood

LOL! I drew the 6 of Coins! My immediate thought was: did I draw this card because I had it in my mind from reading Julie's ;post? Hmmm.... not sure now.

Zoe xx

Melvis

Hi, all!

I drew the Prince of Cups (Vernal Equinox).

Ohh-kay.

My first thought was, "Oh, the card featuring the shallow, fickle knight. How delightful." But then I did allow as to how I tend to keep people at a distance, so it does fit me. And I do move from project to project, never really finishing one before I get caught up in starting something else.

Then another thought popped into my mind, about how I'd like to do more work on websites in my job, making them look better, more appealing. To me, that kind of fit the idea of the Prince in all his finery, looking his best for the ladies.

So perhaps my job this year, as I learn how to 'pretty up' programs and websites and make them more accessible, is to take off some of my own armor and let other people in. It sounds right that this is a card for 2008, because I think it will take me at least a year to do that! ;)

Peace,

Melvis
:TSTRE

P.S. Julie, I flashed on the idea of your 'inner child' when you were talking about your card. Perhaps your creativity is how you let your inner child out into the world. Our inner children may be noisy and unkempt in our heads, but when we are creative (when you paint, for example), you translate that childlike freedom and curiosity into a thing of beauty. Perhaps the present signifies how we have to keep unwrapping layers of ourselves to keep making progress in our endeavors -- and to keep in touch with that inner child.

juliecucciawatts

I like this idea. I have been connecting to my younger self of late. Now that my children are all so self sufficient and I don't have to be the mom all the time. And MAAT is done. I have been trying to figure out just who I was before all this motherhood and deck making began. The trip to Egypt stimulated this in me as well, as we were always moving as a group and getting into buses, taking notes and waiting our turns. It felt a bit like being back in grade school. Perhaps this year will be about getting to the core of my self.

And Zoe I think you need to keep the 6 of Coins for yourself! Come sit on the couch too. I'll move over the gingerbread is grand!

Melvis said:
<snipped>

P.S. Julie, I flashed on the idea of your 'inner child' when you were talking about your card. Perhaps your creativity is how you let your inner child out into the world. Our inner children may be noisy and unkempt in our heads, but when we are creative (when you paint, for example), you translate that childlike freedom and curiosity into a thing of beauty. Perhaps the present signifies how we have to keep unwrapping layers of ourselves to keep making progress in our endeavors -- and to keep in touch with that inner child.

annik

This is a good idea! The previous posts have been very enlightening in their own ways.

I draw the 7 of coins -- New moon in leo
It makes sense. 2007 was a big emotional roller coaster year. This card gives me a certain calm after all I have lived thru this year. I have a project that I have started this year that will reach a certain completion in 2008. But I am aware it will be only a step in the project. More work will be needed in 2008.

And there is a feel of home in this card, because of the oven and the bread. My project have a link with home. It is also a grounding card, with the field. I also feel that 2008 will be a year where I will go to the essential and that I will grounding myself into and because of the nature of my project.