Death rx

VenusRising

I once read death rx is worse than death upright. I pulled this card for a relationship reading, outcome card.
I interpret this as not wanting to end the relationship. And the relationship will change but for the worse.

gregory

Everything would depend on the other cards. You can't, IMHO, just take a card and say it means this on its own.

....that's kind of like saying green "means" grass......

Basic Elements

Death reversed cannot be "worse" than Death upright, because Death upright is not bad.

le fey

Read enough and you'll stumble across every opinion there is... I like your take on it signifying not wanting the relationship to end - but couldn't begin to guess at whether that's a good or bad thing. Depends on the situation and the other cards, doesn't it?

If it isn't over and Death is saying you don't want it to be over... then that's good news. Suppose though, that for you it IS over and the other person won't see it, won't move on, won't let you move on...won't bury the dead... not so good now.

Better...worse... that's not in the card, its in the eye of the person experiencing what the card is depicting in the reading. (And if you're reading for someone else.. be careful assuming something is good or bad! It's like the doctor beaming "Good news! It's twins!!" and not realizing that your husband had a vasectomy four years ago and this is NOT GOOD NEWS.)

Death upright is neutral. So's Death, reversed. Ditto all the other cards - they depict situations and circumstances.... 'good' or 'bad' are judgement calls we make depending on how we feel and what the overall situation is.

(Cheesecake GOOD... Cheesecake, force fed when you're stuffed full AND allergic to cheese... not so good.)

Thirteen

VenusRising said:
I once read death rx is worse than death upright. I pulled this card for a relationship reading, outcome card.
I interpret this as not wanting to end the relationship. And the relationship will change but for the worse.
Well, getting the World (for example) or the Wheel, which spin round and round would be a better way of saying "don't want the relationship to end!" than Death rx. Because Death indicates that something that's sick or wounded or just whose time has come needs to end in order for something new and fresh to take its place. This indicates something being dragged out. I don't know anything about the relationship, but if it's in trouble, and the troubles aren't taken care of but the two remain together, then the outcome might feel as if the two were dragging out what should have been ended.

The thing is, however, that "outcome" card is only a certainty if things stay the way they are. So it doesn't mean that this is how the relationship is going to turn out and there's nothing to be done about it. Assuming both people are on board, they can fix or change that outcome.

I'd take out that Death rx card, put it down as the "signifier" and ask the cards "What must be done differently in the relationship to avoid this outcome?" Then do another reading.

Marcia959

Agree totally with you, gregory. Taking a card and its position out of context is like overhearing a word or two in a conversation and assuming you know all of it. You're probably missing something.

So if you stretch your imagination Death rx could also mean vampires and I'm just thinking, in this context, probably not, you know??

More seriously, if the relationship is an abusive one, NOT ending would be an unhappy thing, at least for the person being abused, right? That's what I mean about taking it out of context. The other cards, their relationship to the card in question, the spread, the sitter, the reader, the time, the exact question, all these things are very important in interpretation.

Best wishes.

gregory

Basic Elements said:
Death reversed cannot be "worse" than Death upright, because Death upright is not bad.
That too ! :thumbsup:

SunChariot

Basic Elements said:
Exactly, Death uprigth means that something will end to make room for something better. Always to make room for something better. Like if the most perfect man for you was going to come into your life next month and you were in a mediocre relationship....you would say no if he asks you out because you were otherwise occupied. The Death card would mean that the first relationship will end to free you to be available for that something better that is soon coming.

It would be a negative in your life if you missed your chance to be wtih this soul mate. But the Death card frees you up so you are available to take full advantage of that somethign better.

There are no negative cards in Tarot of course. They are all there to help us live our best lives and to teach us how to do so.

As for what it means reversed....that depends on how you use reversals. I personally alternate between three different methods. None of them would change the meaning in the way you suggested. But even if reversed cards meant the opposite of the upright card, a method I never use myself, the upright it might mean that whatever the card was talking about would not end, maybe not to worry because it is permanent and will never end. Likely that what you have is so good that nothing better could come along. Like you are in a true soul mate relationship already....etc.

Barbara.

nisaba

Basic Elements said:
Being hit on the head with half a brick is not worse than being given macadamia and caramel ice cream? So ... anything good is obviously worse than anything bad? <grin> think about what you said.

I have a take on reversals which I know I've mentioned a couple of other places around here.

I don't consciously do reversals, but sometimes a card comes out reversed. If so, one of two things is going on.

1) the card is saying "Take notice of me! I'm MUCH more important than anything else on the table right now! Think about me long and hard!

or

2) The direction of flow has changed.

Now let's take the current standard understanding of the death card, which is that some stage in your life is coming to an end and a new stage will begin after that. A reversal of flow for a reversed card may indicate that when the card manifests in your life, you will be hte cause of an abrupt ending in someone else's life, you will be the cause of one stage of their life ending and them moving onto the next stage.

Glass Owl

Changes/Transformations/Endings aren't necessarily bad or undesirable.

Thinking about this card has me thinking about "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. "As Dumbledore tells Harry:" "After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure."