Jail?

aquanesha

I was wondering if there were any cards that would signify someone going to jail?

poivre

8 Swords
I use this as
"you have made yourself a prison in your mind"

Could work depending on the spread.
:)

What about 5 Coins also?

starrystarrynight

Yes, definitely the Eight of Swords.

I would think the Five of Pentacles would sort of be the opposite - being left out in the cold, down on your luck, or the like, rather than being incarcerated.

The Hanged Man

Yes, the Hanged Man refers to a state of suspension, being in limbo, redemption and the making of a sacrifice, which prison inevitably forces you to do, giving your time and freedom in recompense for 'sins'.

The Hanged Man along with the 8 Swords as mentioned, would be a more compelling indication. 8 Swords, purely based on traditional imagery. I would also say that the 4 Coins/Pents. could also show such confinement, purely based on numerical and elemental symbolism, because the 4's are about law and order, rules, neccesities and 4 Coins is a very weighty card, a ball and chain round the ankle, a heavy burden. 4 Coins also shows solid structures, buildings, prisons.

jenessa

The Tower reversed, which can be read to suggest "confinement" and imprisonment within a situation.

Also the 8 of Swords which represents bondage, and as such can relate to being "trapped" by circumstances. In addition, i sometimes interpret this card as being "held at a disadvantage".

Possibly, the Ace of Swords reversed, which commonly represents "restrictions".

YDM42

I've seen the Tower represent locked up or in jail. The freedom to choose is gone and by a higher power.

The Hanged Man

jenessa said:
The Tower reversed, which can be read to suggest "confinement" and imprisonment within a situation.

Yes, I would agree. Also, notice how The Tower is the only card in the Tarot which is a building, so with cards such as The Hanged Man, 8 Swords, 4 Coins, could well suggest a prison.

aquanesha

thanks you guys
my friend was worried about it and since none of those cards showed up
i would hope and guess he's in the clear :)

The Hanged Man

What cards did turn up?

Grizabella

I'd certainly say Justice could indicate jail and if it were coupled with the 8 of Swords it would definitely mean jail or prison if that's what the question were about.