~ Your personal version of the Celtic Cross

Kirali

ArwenNightstar said:
Now this is a fascinating addition to the Celtic Cross spread. Did you add this in or did you learn it from someone? I love to know histories of things. Particularly when I am drawn to add it to my own readings! LOL!

I think I will have to try that!

I believe a few people here have mentioned that they use this "shadow card" method and it intrigued me like you to use it, so now I use it with every CC spread. I like it even though the position seems to change meaning every time I use it but it's extremely interesting. :) Have fun with it!

catti

Re: Re: numbers part 1

Trogon said:
Hi Catti... Interesting thought... and yes, I've seen some layouts such as you describe... I think this is what you mean;

....5..1/2..6......9

Is that right?

that is one of the greatest things about these forums... we get to discuss these differences and similarities and find new things that work for us and help us to discover how to redesign a spread which doesn't work for us.

This is, in part why I designed my CC spread, the lay out of it, the way I did. The past is to the left, future to the right. Basis at the bottom, hidden influences above (where we might not see them), and so on. I lay the cards out in the order I do, because that is what works for me. As I mentioned, I have seen CC's where the cards are layed out in the order you describe, but the flow just didn't jive with what I feel for the CC.

Hope this answers your question...

well yes it yes answer my question and it seems like we agree. it is fascinating to see everyone explain there version. btw i thought i had posted earlier a diagram of my cc spread but it may have been on another thread, apologies if my post was confusing

catti

the shadow card

so i am guessing that the shadow card differs from the "clarification" card that sometimes falls in the 11 spot. the idea of the clarification card is when you dont 'get' the reading or need more clues to tie everything together...the thing i have never liked about the clarification idea is that it can be abused so readily when you just dont want to get the reading. As in i dont like that ace of swords being rev let me see if another card will be kinder type of "clarification"
but the shadow is different...and you pull it from the other end of the deck?
neat ; i have to admit i look at my deck alot and muse about the cards i almost threw..
i always felt kind of sneaky doing it and never thought to add it into my reading

paradoxx

3...1/2...6......8

1. Central situation
2. Enhancing/diminsing influences
3. what is known
4. what is in question
5. what is without question
6. what remains unknown
7. general level of understaning of the situation
8. the situation recapped
9. deeper level of understanding of the situuation
10. what is being done about the situation

The vauge definitions in this version can provide information that you are otherwise going to miss. cards 3-6 are the most important cards here as they associate with the variables and factors in the situation.

I use more than one version of the celtic cross spread template, depending on the question and situation at hand.

dadsnook2000

An eleven card CC spread

I've just finished the first reading of Tarot and Psychology by Rosengarten. In his clinical work he adds another card (which he chooses) as a gift/blessing card. The other cards are chosen by the subject in the usual manner. In the book's examples this has worked well. I havent seen any 11 card versions listed in this thread so far. Dave.

Scarletpeaches

What! Some people don't use a significator!
*Falls down in amazement*

Right, now I've picked myself up, here's my CC!

--------------3----------------------------9
-------6-----1(2)----5-------------------8
--------------4----------------------------7

Does that look ok?
1) Significator! YEAH!
2) Crossing card - What's stopping the querent getting what they want (BOO!)
3) Crowning card - What's obviously influencing the situation
4) Any hidden influences
5) Recent past
6) Near future
7) Where the querent will soon find him/herself
8) Views of others - what other people really think of this person and why the situation has been allowed to continue. Or why this person isn't getting the advice/help they need. I'm sure there's a quicker way of phrasing that but I know what I mean!
9) Hopes & Fears (Often what we most want is what we fear the most. In my case anyway)!
10) Outcome if querent continues on this path. (Well, I'ma great believer in making my own fate).

Works for me anyway. Funny how some CC's just don't 'feel' right but this is the one for me!

light dance

thanks major tom for showing this thread

I had a question concerning the celtic cross layout and asked it. Major tom pointing this out to me and well i want to post one of my replies here.......here it is...it is concerning the layout....

Thanks ever so much for the input. I think I shall post in the thread Major Tom pointed me to as well.
Here is something to ponder. Now this might be a point of nuerotic angst for some and this is not my intention. In any of the fields we are discussing here freedom, and the absense of hang_ups and the all important fluidity of the moment and your inner voice IS ABOVE ALL THE RIGHT WAY TO GO.
For those who have done tantric ,or yogic chakra,visualization therapy there is a level where symbols are inserted in the chakras.My thing was to reverse the symbol, from the printed word as one sees it on paper,so as to be viewed by those I would confront ,or who would stand in front of me, or as I looked down I would see them standing as part of me facing forward.This instead of just placing them as you read them. The same issue cropped up with the celtic cross. It's been a long time since I used the tarot and this site encouraged me to do so. When I reviewed my celtic cross favourite ,it brought about an issue I had with my guru, the symbols placements . As a note here he was not overly concerned to what I was doing and never taught anyone to do what I was doing.
When one makes a sign of the cross the traditional method is first the crown ,then the heart, then the right shoulder crossing the heart to the left shoulder and letting the arm drop to your side. Now, back to the celtic cross.If you were to make the cross for yourself I would say that to mimic your self on the table in front of you it would be this.
3 10
6 1_2 5 9

But then again if you are laying on the table the cards 6 and 5 would be reversed...ok ok I'm filled with neurotic angst and am throwing my own advice out the window here.LOL!!!
I just want some opinions about my idea.If it is not clear where I am going please ask and add to discussion.

This is what I had in mind when first posting the question. What you think?

light dance

Re: thanks major tom for showing this thread

light dance said:
I had a question concerning the celtic cross layout and asked it. Major tom pointing this out to me and well i want to post one of my replies here.......here it is...it is concerning the layout....

Thanks ever so much for the input. I think I shall post in the thread Major Tom pointed me to as well.
Here is something to ponder. Now this might be a point of nuerotic angst for some and this is not my intention. In any of the fields we are discussing here freedom, and the absense of hang_ups and the all important fluidity of the moment and your inner voice IS ABOVE ALL THE RIGHT WAY TO GO.
For those who have done tantric ,or yogic chakra,visualization therapy there is a level where symbols are inserted in the chakras.My thing was to reverse the symbol, from the printed word as one sees it on paper,so as to be viewed by those I would confront ,or who would stand in front of me, or as I looked down I would see them standing as part of me facing forward.This instead of just placing them as you read them. The same issue cropped up with the celtic cross. It's been a long time since I used the tarot and this site encouraged me to do so. When I reviewed my celtic cross favourite ,it brought about an issue I had with my guru, the symbols placements . As a note here he was not overly concerned to what I was doing and never taught anyone to do what I was doing.
When one makes a sign of the cross the traditional method is first the crown ,then the heart, then the right shoulder crossing the heart to the left shoulder and letting the arm drop to your side. Now, back to the celtic cross.If you were to make the cross for yourself I would say that to mimic your self on the table in front of you it would be this.
3 10
6 1_2 5 9

But then again if you are laying on the table the cards 6 and 5 would be reversed...ok ok I'm filled with neurotic angst and am throwing my own advice out the window here.LOL!!!
I just want some opinions about my idea.If it is not clear where I am going please ask and add to discussion.

This is what I had in mind when first posting the question. What you think?

i'm new here bear with me please.....here is the spread layout

my number layout did not come up like i originally typed it so here goes another try.
.....6........1_2........5

then the usual 7 8 9 10 running up along side

Ivy Rhiannon

Here's the layout I learned:

6...S/1...4......8

The opptional S=significator, and 2 is laid horizontally across 1. I always use the c/c but never assign meanings to the postitions. I just read the cards.

light dance

Ivy Rhiannon said:
I always use the c/c but never assign meanings to the postitions. I just read the cards.

This is interesting.This is to be explored.So you don't look at, this is your past this is your present etc. you know what i mean.??
You want to share this with us? I'ts like you just take a general interpretation of the whole picture of the spread..???