Stone ID help :)

TheBip

I have a few stones that I need help identifying. I dont have any pictures of them, but theyre very easy to describe.

Ok, the first looks like a dalmation stone, but instead of being white with black spots, this stone is green with black spots.

The second looks like howlite, but instead of white with grey lines, this one is bright yellow with grey lines.

The third could be jet or obidian or onyx or something. Not sure which. Its plain black, no other colors, and its dull, not polished o_O

The last one looks like a piece of moss agate I have (its translucent with green "moss") except this one is translucent with purple. The purple bits look a bit more like veins than moss tho :)

BodhiSeed

This first stone sounds like kambaba jasper:
http://www.evans-lambert.com/orbfiles/M2867.htm

The second stone sounds like a dyed howlite (this stone is often dyed other colors).

The third stone sounds like it might be jet, because obsidian has a high shine to it, and onyx has a bit of a shine and is usually not as "black". Is it a lightweight stone (similar to amber)? If it is, then it's probably jet.

The last one sounds like another dyed stone, but I'm not sure what kind. Is it a clear/smoky stone with purple veins, or is it another translucent color? Could be dyed quartz with some inclusions in it.

Bodhran

TheBip

bodhran said:
This first stone sounds like kambaba jasper:
http://www.evans-lambert.com/orbfiles/M2867.htm
Hmm, could be it...
The second stone sounds like a dyed howlite (this stone is often dyed other colors).
Dyed, huh? Might very well be, I have no idea where I got it from *lol*
The third stone sounds like it might be jet, because obsidian has a high shine to it, and onyx has a bit of a shine and is usually not as "black". Is it a lightweight stone (similar to amber)? If it is, then it's probably jet.
Actually, its a fairly good weight for its size (a little over one finger width wide, and about half a finger long... thats average-sized fingers ^_^)
You say onyx isnt as "black"... this stone isnt a 'true' black, really. Gosh, I dunno....
The last one sounds like another dyed stone, but I'm not sure what kind. Is it a clear/smoky stone with purple veins, or is it another translucent color? Could be dyed quartz with some inclusions in it.

Bodhran

Its kinda smoky, I guess. Definately not clear.

Maybe I could see if my sisters digital camera works...

crystalwoman

TheBip said:
I have a few stones that I need help identifying. I dont have any pictures of them, but theyre very easy to describe.

Ok, the first looks like a dalmation stone, but instead of being white with black spots, this stone is green with black spots.

The second looks like howlite, but instead of white with grey lines, this one is bright yellow with grey lines.

The third could be jet or obidian or onyx or something. Not sure which. Its plain black, no other colors, and its dull, not polished o_O

The last one looks like a piece of moss agate I have (its translucent with green "moss") except this one is translucent with purple. The purple bits look a bit more like veins than moss tho :)

Pictures would be good.

# 1 might also be dyed dalmation jasper.
# 2 may be dyed howlite or it may be yellow mookaite with grey lines (I have a couple of pieces of mookaite like that).
# 3 could be any one of a HUGE number of black stones - if you hold it up to a bright light does any light get through?
# 4 may be red moss agate, which has maroon or purplish-red dendrite in it, the dendrite resembles veins and plant roots rather than moss.