Top Ten essential tarot titles

northsea

I don't want to exceed my "top ten" but to get the ball rolling again, I'll add Sallie Nichols' "Jung and the Tarot". It was my first tarot book, then I went through a "phase" and got rid of it, but it's a good one, based on the Tarot de Marseille.

Alan Ross

Several titles already mentioned are also among my top ten favorites:

Tarot: History, Symbolism & Divination - Robert Place
Mystical Origins of the Tarot - Paul Huson
Encyclopedia of Tarot, various volumes - Stuart Kaplan
Tarot Bible - Sarah Bartlett
Tarot Plain and Simple - Anthony Louis
Tarot Wisdom - Rachel Pollack
Tarot and the Tree of Life - Isabel Kliegman
Tarot: Your Everyday Guide - Janina Renee
Understanding the Tarot Court - Mary K. Greer and Tom Little

and for my tenth, I would add one that hasn't been mentioned yet:

The Complete Tarot Reader - Teresa Michelsen

An AT review of this excellent intermediate level workbook can be found here:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/books/complete-tarot-reader/

Alan

BelovedK

faerieluca said:
I would like to see a book about relationships/love and the tarot on this list, but I don't know of any that are worthy. Thoughts?
Tarot D'Amour by Kooch and Victor Daniels is good. I am into it now :)

Le Fanu

Inspired by this thread, Im going to build up my tarot library based on some recommendations here.

I think I shall order Pollock's Tarot Wisdom first...

gregory

Another vote for Huson.
And a caution about the Authentic Tarot: in my copy the illustrations are WAY wrong. Misprinted rather than editorially wrong, but still. As I recall, ALL the suit pages are illustrated with cups.....! (I did get it very cheap - but does anyone else have this problem ? It may not be cups; I'd have to look; I know the error is catastrophic !)

Wendywu

Le Fanu said:

Good choice :) Brilliant book!

MoonGypsy

i agree! It is one of the best IMHO! :thumbsup:

Blessings,
MGxxx

Greg Stanton

gregory said:
Another vote for Huson.
And a caution about the Authentic Tarot: in my copy the illustrations are WAY wrong. Misprinted rather than editorially wrong, but still. As I recall, ALL the suit pages are illustrated with cups.....! (I did get it very cheap - but does anyone else have this problem ? It may not be cups; I'd have to look; I know the error is catastrophic !)
My copy is correct. I'm wondering if yours is the UK printing? Mine is US and Canada. It's a fabulous book, IMO.

gregory

Greg Stanton said:
My copy is correct. I'm wondering if yours is the UK printing? Mine is US and Canada. It's a fabulous book, IMO.
Mine was bought in Edinburgh, so.... And it was VERY cheap - I do wonder if they remaindered the duds !

sapienza

Le Fanu said:
Inspired by this thread, Im going to build up my tarot library based on some recommendations here.

I'll be very interested to get your thoughts once you have read it.