YUCK! You guys are right. Spiral Tarot and U.S. Games deck production

Erzebet

Gavriela said:
So I've missed out on the Deviant Moon, the Golden, and probably some other decks that would have been good otherwise. But USGS' standards have got so low that I can't use their decks

The Golden was printed in China has very durable thick cardstock, no slick lamiation either. No lamination that I can tell, maybe a little matte type.

Logiatrix

Erzebet said:
The Golden was printed in China has very durable thick cardstock, no slick lamiation either. No lamination that I can tell, maybe a little matte type.
Yes, that's right. It had kind an "old world" feel to it (a thick, matte cardstock and gilt card edges), which is very fitting for the deck's theme. Kat Black had a hand in selecting the cardstock and so on, if I recall correctly. Lucky for her, as creators/artists are not always so involved. Lucky for us, too, to have such a beautiful deck within reach.:)

Le Fanu

Gavriela said:
I noticed it trying to replace some older decks - the new Old English was appalling - including the print quality.

I recently spotted an older "Made in Belgium" Old English in a shop here and as it was a deck Id been debating buying, I snapped it up. It really is lovely, and I can´t imagine what the botched up version looks like. Glad I did now.

Interestingly, the Golden, although it was made in China (and some might immediately back off assuming the worst) is actually one of their few recent triumphs.I think it has lovely cardstock, finish, shuffles well. I like this deck now after a bumpy start...

But Im getting very discerning now. Modern US reprints, I no longer "do" (why bother when the market has Lo Scarabeo, MRPress and Meneghello etc). Only if it´s an irresistable new edition like the D:Moon. I know it´s no consolation to newer members, but I have all the US Games decks I ever wanted anyway, and they´re all the older editions anyway, so Ive no need to buy tat...

mysticmoon

One more blow

Did I mention I've noticed that some cards have very obvious printer scratch lines running through them?!

This is just the last nail in the coffin. I've decided to return the deck with comments about the quality etc. I will also be leaving a review on Amazon.com about shoddy printing. Such a beautiful deck gone to the dogs!

Now I've to go look where I can find an older copy of this deck. I like to buy all my decks brand new and this has prevented me from buying any used ones so far.

Erzebet

I really have no idea what to think. My Spiral looks fantastic and so does my Deviant Moon.

I think the maxim "look for the good in others, you'll be sure to find it, look for the bad and you'll certainly find that too" Something like that.

If you want to focus on the bad and negative, that's what you'll find and see.

Cerulean

It is odd that I noticed differences....

...the Steventon's Goddesses and Heroines deck, first printing is gloriously pretty and very well done--of course the deck is new and I was able to see a friend's copy first. The smell did go away with mine, after airing and when I did find a copy.

I obtained a Spiral recently in 2007 and while I did not keep my earlier edition, it seems fine. But I have noticed and commented on how an older U.S. Games Visconti seems in better and more beautiful printing shape then the newer versions, which have darker and muddier colors compared to older editions or Italian editions.

I am wondering if popular decks had some bad print runs and reprint issues--and the tarot community of users/readers wanting to use their deck often, one does notice differences and feel of their favorite editions...

The first Celestial I had was printed in China and looks more faded and feels more pebbly than the subsequent book and deck editions printed in Italy. But the cards are in good shape--so the cards stock are not different to me.

Over time I can see the wear on the Celestial book corners and dinged edges, but I put that down to use. The cards themselves...I've been fortunate since my first deck.

Best wishes,

Cerulean

mysticmoon

Erzebet said:
I really have no idea what to think. My Spiral looks fantastic and so does my Deviant Moon.

I think the maxim "look for the good in others, you'll be sure to find it, look for the bad and you'll certainly find that too" Something like that.

If you want to focus on the bad and negative, that's what you'll find and see.

I really have no idea what to say to your comment. My other Spiral looks fantastic too and I don't go out looking for flaws in people and things. At least not knowingly. :) I have quite a few other decks and I have no trouble with them.