unusual Tarot cards.

joan mesney

Hi everyone, I have an unusual Tarot card deck. The cards are just a normal deck of standard playing cards with tarot readings at the top and bottom of every playing card.They are 3cm x4.5 cm big with a picture of a witch on a broomstick, one star and a crescent moon on the back of each card. I would really like to learn how to use these cards for readings properly, but there wasn't a book with the cards. can anyone help me understand the meanings or know where i can get a book so i can use the cards properly. Thank you and take care.

MeeWah

Joan Mesney: Welcome to Aeclectic Tarot!

The deck described seems to be the Gypsy Witch Fortune Telling Playing Cards. In which case, not a Tarot deck, but an oracle or non-Tarot deck (though Tarot cards also considered an oracle deck) based on playing cards format.

Not aware of any book, but the captions on the cards intended to inspire their reading in context to the query. Playing card meanings could also be used instead or incorporated.

Btw: this thread will be moved to Oracle Decks with a redirect left here to enable the new location.

Alta

Are the backs predominantly orange or blue? There is a witch deck with orange backs.

celticnoodle

welcome Joan to A.T. and Meewah may be correct in saying which deck it is. I have that lovely deck myself, given to me by a lovely dear member here at A.T. This deck has special meaning to me, and it is an oracle, as it has less then the standard 78 cards of a tarot deck.

It's a great little deck to begin with, but there is no book associated with it, as far as I know. A small 'brochure' type of document was included with the deck. You can purchase a book in any bookstore or online regarding reading with playing cards, if you wish. Just be aware that the book may give different meanings to them then what is written on these cards themselves.

If you wish to just begin trying them out without a book, you can look for tarot spreads here on A.T. for ways to lay out the cards, or just ask the cards a question and lay out 3 or more cards, (whatever you are comfortable with) to answer your question(s). Also, try googling 'cartomancy' and you may find a site that helps you with this oracle. I love this little deck, and it's a great first deck in cartomancy, in my opinion.

Abrac

joan, the backs you describe don't sound like the Gypsy Witch Fortune Telling cards, but there have been several editions so it might be. Do your cards have any distinguishing marks or possibly a publisher listed anywhere? Any kind of markings could be helpful.

As far as reading with them, I think any book for reading with a 52-card deck should be useful. There are many out there, but Fortune Telling by Cards is one of the most comprehensive that I've seen. There is a free version online, I'll give you the link.

Fortune Telling by Cards

celticnoodle

Abrac, thanks for the link. the book you mentioned seems to be pretty good. I may end up buying it myself! :) I occasionally bring out my 52 deck of cards to read, and sometimes I feel like I prefer them to the tarot.

Abrac

Sure, no problem. That site has a lot of free books. I looked through them and found a few I was interested in. They seem to have a little something for everyone.