Queen of Wands

Always Wondering

I am looking for some insight or history on the meaning of Thoth's Queen of Wands touching the leopard. I have read she is pinching it to stop it's transformation. Why? I also remember reading something about it symbolizing protection over those that are not self realized.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Always Wondering.

Grigori

This doesn't start with the Thoth. Crowley took this directly from the Golden Dawn's tarot.

Book T said:
VI. The Queen of the Thrones of Flame
Queen of Wands
A CROWNED queen with long red-golden hair, seated upon a Throne, with steady flames beneath. She wears a corslet and buskins of scale-mail, which latter her robe discloses. Her arms are almost bare. On cuirass and buskins are leopard's heads winged, and the same symbol surmounteth her crown. At her side is a couchant leopard on which her hands rest. She bears a long wand with a very heavy conical head. The face is beautiful and resolute.
Adaptability, steady force applied to an object, steady rule, great attractive power, power of command, yet liked notwithstanding. Kind and generous when not opposed.

If ill dignified, obstinate, revengeful, domineering, tyrannical, and apt to turn against another without a cause.

She rules the heavens from above the last Decan of Pisces to above the 20 Degree of Aries: including thus a part of Andromeda.

Where Mathers got it from.... *shrugs*

You can see the same details on the Golden Dawn decks. There are modern recreations, they came after the Thoth, but are based on the Golden Dawns decks which the Thoth is based on.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/golden-dawn-magical/index.shtml#cards
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/golden-dawn/

Attachments

• QoW.jpg
    QoW.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 648

Aeon418

From the Golden Dawn Ritual Tarot:
The Queen is seated above a ground that is alive with constant flames. She has gold-red hair which flows like a lion's mane. Her right hand grasps a Fire Wand like that of the Zelator Adeptus Minor, while her left hand touches the head of a leopard, her personal emblem. The wand alludes to the force of her WILL, which controls and directs the Fire energy represented by the feral cat.

Always Wondering

Thanks to you both for responding. Perhaps I have been studying the trees too hard and need to step back and look at the forest. The history of Tarot in general.

Grigori

There was something I read about the RWS too, but I forget where, maybe Pollack. The Leopard is replaced by a black cat, which as a witches familar is a symbol of protection. Although if it came down to a fight and I had to choose between a kitty cat and a leopard.... :laugh:

ravenest

I think the leopard is a good symbol for her nature. Redheads! ... I've met a few different types, this type isnt exactly like a lion, they are feline but deffinatly more leopard like than leonine ... slinky but dangerous, full of light and fire but lithe and grecefull.
I dont understand about the touching stopping a transformation, I think she is touching it the way we all touch our pets and familias, also its a transference of energy, back and forth, thats how we should be with our familiars, they transmit knowledge to us, and we give them back a little of ourselves.

I'm wondering what this transformation idea is and what it transforms into and why it is needed to be stopped?

Always Wondering

I read Pollack's bio. I like her approach to tarot, thanks Similia.
This idea of a familiar transferring information speaks most to the question I pulled this card over. Very helpful, Ravenest.
Perhaps the queen has resisted the impulse to tame the beautiful wildthing and has chosen to learn from it rather than try to control it.

rcb30872

I decided to look up leopard on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopard

And this is what I found: In antiquity it was believed that the leopard was a hybrid between a lion and a panther.
They are mainly nocturnal but can be seen at any time of day and will even hunt during daytime on overcast days. In regions where they are hunted, nocturnal behaviour is more common. These cats are solitary, avoiding one another. However, three or four are sometimes seen together. Hearing and eyesight are the strongest of these cats' senses and are extremely acute. Olfaction is relied upon as well, but not for hunting. When making a threat, leopards stretch their backs, depress their ribcages between their shoulder blades so they stick out, and lower their heads (similar to domestic cats). During the day they may lie in bush, on rocks, or in a tree with their tails hanging below the treetops and giving them away.
Leopards and Humans
Leopards have been known to humans since antiquity and have featured in the art, mythology and folklore of many countries where they have occurred historically, such as Ancient Greece, Persia and Rome, as well as some where they haven't such as England. The modern use of the leopard as an emblem for sport or coat of arms is much more restricted to Africa, though numerous products worldwide have used the name.

Leopards and humans have many relations, involving tourism, heraldry and modern culture. Leopeard domestication has also been recorded - several leopards were kept in a menagerie established by King John at the Tower of London in the 13th century; around 1235 three animals were given to Henry III by the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick II

rachelcat

Thanks for the info on leopards. I didn't get into that at all. Just assumed it's as good a fiery animal as any other cat. It certainly matches the colors of the card!

Here's my IDS:

Queen of Wands
Water of Fire
Mostly cardinal fire = Aries

This queen is even more imposing/intimidating than the Queen of Swords. That’s probably because she’s more stylized. It’s hard to see her as someone you might know or meet. Plus she’s so high above us looking down. And her wand is huge! There’s not much in the way of water here. Her upper body is armored. Her hair looks just like the flames which seem to engulf the rest of her body. She has a fiery cape, like the knight. She touches an angry leopard at her feet.

Snuffin points out that her wand is a thyrsus, a pinecone wand of Bacchus, which was carried by the maenads, women driven mad with lusty spiritual ardor who had the unfortunate habit of tearing men apart who mistakenly stumbled into their mad rites. So she’s got that going for her.

Crowley’s description isn’t much better: impatient, brooding, savage, stupid, obstinate, tyrannical, self-complacent vanity, and snobbery. Fickle, disloyal, melancholy, and, my favorite, liable to panic-stricken outbursts of ill-considered fury.

Ok, there are some good attributes, too: adaptability, persistent energy, calm authority. Immense capacity for friendship and love, but always on her own terms.

Most of these seem to be Aries attributes. I don’t see the water here, unless it’s adaptability and persistence.

I Ching hexagram is 17, Following, Lake over Thunder. The general idea is that obstacles can be a good impetus to achieve something. And that making a choice necessarily precludes the other options. I get the feeling the Queen of Wands has no trouble getting to work to clear an obstacle or in making a choice. She will make a choice and defend it no matter what.

In a reading: You or a person involved is full of energy, determination, and decisiveness. She is a good leader and can get people to follow her. Beware of riding roughshod over people, as in “my way or the highway.” And beware of burnout that could lead to manic outbursts or depression.

Walter

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law!

Hello everybody,

The leopard in the Thoth version is actually tamed by the queen. In the trump of Lust there is a synthesis between the woman and the lion: they're both very happy. Queen of Wands is happier when she's in control. She likes the power of the leopard, but only when she can tell him when to act. Crowley mentions it shortly: she likes young boys to overpower, but she stays away from wise old man. As if she knows it as to be the only way to stay in charge. I see her as the Queen of hearts in Alice in Wonderland: friendly when you say yes and deadly when you say no :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOFFe56uImA

Love is the law, love under will.

Walter