Green Box vs Blue Swiss Box

photokat

What's the difference and why do people go bonkers over the green one?
Don't seem to get it... and why it's called "Premiere" Edition.
Any ideas?

Abrac

I didn't realize anyone went bonkers over the green box one; usually it's the blue box version that people rave about. There's an older version with green borders that's nicknamed the "greenie," is that the one you mean? It's out-of-print and somewhat collectible.

I don't think there's that much difference between the one in the blue box and the one in the green box. They're both printed by AG Müller and put in different boxes. They might be printed on different presses or in different factories and have minor differences, but overall they are about the same.

Storm82

I have both the blue and the green box. I dont think there is any difference of the cards.....

RLG

photokat said:
What's the difference and why do people go bonkers over the green one?
Don't seem to get it... and why it's called "Premiere" Edition.
Any ideas?

The 'premier' edition includes a spreadsheet for reading the cards, but that edition is only in the standard size (purple box) with the three extra Magus cards. I don't think it comes in the green box, which is the large size cards.

Currently the green box from US Games and the Blue Swiss Box are the same cards, printed in Belgium. But back in the day, the Green box had the 'icky green' cards in them, from the earlier, poorer-quality US Games printing in Belgium, (ca. 1978 and on) and thus people preferred the blue box Swiss when it came out (1986), because the cards were much nicer, (and printed in Switzerland at the time).

If you want more history, there are a few threads on this topic, but that's about the gist of it.

photokat

If you want more history, there are a few threads on this topic, but that's about the gist of it.[/QUOTE]

can you link me to the threads? thanks so much!!!

Le Fanu

RLG said:
Currently the green box from US Games and the Blue Swiss Box are the same cards, printed in Belgium. But back in the day, the Green box had the 'icky green' cards in them, from the earlier, poorer-quality US Games printing in Belgium, (ca. 1978 and on) and thus people preferred the blue box Swiss when it came out (1986), because the cards were much nicer, (and printed in Switzerland at the time

The so-called famous "icky greenie" came in a white box.

The US Games more recent edition came in a green box (with the 2 of Pentacles on the box) and is often confused with the "greenie". Two different decks, two different phases of US Games production.

I know it has been posted that the two decks (AG Muller and US Games) are the same deck, just in different boxes, I just won´t have it.

My US Games green box one has better, less flimsy cardstock that my Blue Box AG Muller "Deluxe" (as it is called) Thoth, and also richer colours. Unmistakably so. Scans wouldn´t show it, but in the flesh it is very clear.

My "icky green" one is in a white box and isn´t as green as gregory´s.

For me, the purple box is US Games and is the one with the 3 Magus cards. I use Tarot Garden´s definitions; the AG Muller decks are "blue box" as opposed to "purple."

RLG

It's interesting that you say the current green box and blue box decks are different. Are you comparing decks that both have the 1996 copyright on them, or is the date later?

I've seen some that are 1996 but have a grayish outer border on the back, while others are 1996 and have a whitish border. is there a chance that production of these diverted somewhere along the timeline after 1996?

It's all a really confusing question, I know, and I'm far from an expert. Its almost like the more you dig the more uncertain everything is in this category. Do we know for sure if the 2 large decks are both currently printed at the same factory in Belgium? I find it hard to believe there would be separate printings for the two boxes.

It's also worth noting that different versions of the blue box Muller have different ISBN's, but that some newer printings of the deck are in older boxes, ('96 in '86 boxes, marked as having 3 magi but having the hex and OTO cards), while different printings of the older deck that was 'icky green' have varying amounts of green in them.

What with the variations in each print run, and the various printings over the years, it becomes tricky to say anything definitive about the decks unless you have them in your hand. One thing we know for sure, though, the 'icky green' never came in a blue box LOL

photokat

Yeah I own the "icky greeny" in the white box... quite icky the coloring indeed ; )

Le Fanu said:
The so-called famous "icky greenie" came in a white box.

The US Games more recent edition came in a green box (with the 2 of Pentacles on the box) and is often confused with the "greenie". Two different decks, two different phases of US Games production.

I know it has been posted that the two decks (AG Muller and US Games) are the same deck, just in different boxes, I just won´t have it.

My US Games green box one has better, less flimsy cardstock that my Blue Box AG Muller "Deluxe" (as it is called) Thoth, and also richer colours. Unmistakably so. Scans wouldn´t show it, but in the flesh it is very clear.

For me, the purple box is US Games and is the one with the 3 Magus cards. I use Tarot Garden´s definitions; the AG Muller decks are "blue box" as opposed to "purple."

gregory

Le Fanu said:

I cannot agree. Which - as I have said in some other thread - just goes to show that print runs etc vary hugely.....

Le Fanu said:
:D indeed it ain't })
Though I have also a less green greenie.
Le Fanu said:
My blue box Muller (undated) has the three Magus cards and the best stock and colour quality of the lot. Just to be awkward. ;)

But I think it's important to name the publisher atthese times.... Also this page on Tarotgarden is invaluable.