Aeon study group

rissa

Having some trouble understanding this one in the Thoth deck (Never really understood "Judgement" too well in other decks, though, so I'm not really working with many preconceived notions! :p)

Anyone like to discuss what they see or think of with this card?

I did find this:
This card depicts child horus in its centre with his finger to his lips. This could represent the cards 'hush, hushing' your questioning , telling you not to ask about things now (especially if other cards are incoherent). Perhaps it is necessary for you to first cast aside all preconieved judgements and prejudices in order to criticise or veiw the issue truly. Or maybe things have to mature a little more. The child in the centre can also represent the inquisitive fool, who can possibly go astray and become lost if he fails to grow/mature, sucking his thumb as if looking around for his mother. This is also a family card and a card about sharing. Trying to have the acceptance and forgiveness of the child horus in order to regenerate new growth. The Aeon is a time span and this card focuses alot on time. Timeless, out of body experiences, reincarnation, past lives, dreams, -a dimension with a different time frame to the one accepted by our consciousness. Past actions reacting with karma. A symbolic death/rebirth/letting go. A period of time that is particularly significant to the surrounding cards. A prison scentence past, having to catch up on lost time by questioning, assessing. May represent having lost time to mature normally during a turbulent period. Also represents the nine months of pregnancy -a time not counted in age. Very little is known about the senses or emotions that the foetus experiences. The womb is creating, forming, and going through an active, dynamic process. The Universe/World is the actual act of labour/birth when the baby comes into contact with the physical world. Timing is of the essence.
Jera (jamoe@hotmail.com)

(from here: http://www.geocities.com/Paris/2110/ )

I liked what was being said here, but I don''t know if it helps me in readings. Except maybe the first bit...the "hush". Because I'll often find it in a reading where when I'm asking "big" questions, and want specific answers.

Could the card be saying "it's too early to tell". "Things are still forming". Or even an more cheeky "Nuh-uh-uhh...we here behind the scenes of the universe are cooking something up, but it's not for you to know!"

But I always thought of that more with the "fortune" card?

Because I previously thought it was more of an "end-of the old--make way for a new era"-type card, but my deeper research has got me thinking.

rogue

Aeon is also another word for a god. Every dog has its day.

ambergreen

This is my take on the Aeon card:

The beginning of a new era, one where the some of the fundamental rules of the 'universe' may have changed. I say some, because the new Aeon is birthed from the previous one, and so retains some of the old characteristics.

This card also prompts the cycle to start again with the fool, so the Aeon is a base or world card, one in which the drama of all the other cards is played out, and thus influences the behavior and characteristics of the cards. The Aeon is the 'higher power' that guides and influences the actions of the other cards in the reading, much like the God figure lampkin referred to in his post.

ravenest

Aside from everything written (here on AT and in other places / books) I think it is important to remember the Aeon Card is really a summary of the magical philosopy of Thelema. Compare it to the Stele of Revealing and then (if you haven't already) Read the 3 parts of the Book of the Law. Then look at and meditate on the Aeon Card again for a macroscopic understanding.

ravenest

ambergreen said:
This is my take on the Aeon card:

The beginning of a new era, one where the some of the fundamental rules of the 'universe' may have changed. I say some, because the new Aeon is birthed from the previous one, and so retains some of the old characteristics.

This card also prompts the cycle to start again with the fool, so the Aeon is a base or world card, one in which the drama of all the other cards is played out, and thus influences the behavior and characteristics of the cards. The Aeon is the 'higher power' that guides and influences the actions of the other cards in the reading, much like the God figure lampkin referred to in his post.

Hi ambergreen (pretty good first post!- You dont give much away in your profile! We'll have to sus' you out from your comments then :laugh: ) I like this ; "the Aeon is a base or world card, one in which the drama of all the other cards is played out, and thus influences the behavior and characteristics of the cards. The Aeon is the 'higher power' that guides and influences the actions of the other cards in the reading..."

It's what makes this Thelemic deck ... Thelemic ;)

rachelcat

Geeky question:

Crowley said:
Behind this letter [the Shin] is a symbolic representation of the Sign of Libra; this is the forth-shadowing of the Aeon which is to follow this present one, presumably in about 2,000 years-"the fall of the Great Equinox; when Hrumachis shall arise and the double-wanded one assume my throne and place".
I can't see a symbol of Libra. Can someone help me out here?

Also, if this new aeon is the Age of Aquarius, how can the next new aeon be Libra?

Any help would be appreciated!

(Maybe I'm mixing my new age new ages mixed up!)

Abrac

I think the sign of Libra is that orange and blue wavy line behind Shin. It's pretty abstract. Crowley calls it a "symbolic representation."

"The fall of the Great Equinox; when Hrumachis shall arise and the double-wanded one assume my throne and place," is from the Book of the Law. Crowley believed it was talking about the aeon that was to follow that of Horus, the Aeon of Justice. Crowley didn't follow tradition much of the time so the Age of Aquarius as we know it doesn't really apply. You can read in his Old and New Commentaries Ch.3;34 about how he comes to his conclusions on this.

rachelcat

Oh, thank you. I'm glad it's not something staring me in the face that I missed! (This from someone who just spent about a half hour looking for the dove on the Hierophant!) A vague inkling of Libra makes sense, since it's so far in the future.

Thanks for the info on the difference between aeons and ages. Good to know. I guess I AM getting my ages mixed up. I was thinking of the Christian era = Pisces that I've heard about.

Aeon418

I wouldn't confuse astrological ages with the concept of the Aeons. They aren't the same thing. This is something that Crowley came to realise over time. It might be better to view the astrological ages as a sub-current to the Aeon.

Christianity is a good example. It's doctrines follow the Osirian pattern of life, death, and resurrection. But it's astrological motifs are a blend of Aries and Pisces. Jesus was the ΙΧΘΥΣ, the fisher of men. Many of his disciples were fishermen, and he performed many miracles that involved fish. (Of course I'm not implying any kind of historical validity to the biblical stories.)
But Jesus was also the Agnus Die, the Lamb of God. The lamb who's blood must be spilt, and who's suffering must be glorified.

I suppose you could say that the Osiris/resurrection theme is the main dish, but the astrological themes are the seasoning of slavation, suffering, and sacrifice.

It's also one reason why Aries the Lamb is placed further down the Tree now, next to Pisces. They are past and done, but are absorbed into the more typically human levels of experience on the Tree.

ravenest

Is there any celestial mechanism that indicates or regulates the progression of Aeons or is it more of a retrospective judgment of social, philosophical, etc trends?

I guess there is (or was) some mechanism due to the progressive time line, whether it is of equal time periods or compressing time periods (like the mayan calandar).

I seem to recall from somewhere that it has something to do with what Egyptian God is ruling that segement of the heavens that has a heliacal rising at the spring equinox ???