Book of the Law Study Group 1.43

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
Wow, what a difference a translation makes. It will be fun to compare with my Penjuine Classic.
I can't remember where I saw it, but I've read that the Tao Te Ching is one of the best articulations of the doctrines of the The Book of the Law. I agree. It's well worth studying in the context of True Will.

Magick Without Tears. Chp.34:
The Book of the Law states the doctrine of Tao very succinctly: "...thou hast no right but to do thy will. Do that, and no other shall say nay. For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect." (AL I, 42-44)

"Thus also the Sage, seeking not any goal, attaineth all things; he does not interfere in the affairs of his body, and so that body acteth without friction. It is because he meddleth not with his personal aims that these come to pass with simplicity." Tao Teh King, VII, 2.

The ideal analogy seems to be that of a planet in its orbit. It has its "true motion;" it meets the minimum of friction from circumambient space. When it suffers the attraction of another body, it sways slightly to make the proper adjustment without effort or argument; it can, consequently, continue indefinitely in its orbit.

This is roughly the plan of the Taoist in his attitude to life. Having ascertained the Path which satisfies the equations of his Nature (as we say, "found his True Will") he continues "without lust of result," acting only when it happens to be necessary to adjust himself to any external stress that affects him, and so proceeds happily

"thinking of a way
To feed oneself on batter,
And so go on from day to day
Getting a little fatter."

—assuming that his "True Will" is of that variety. Basil King Lamus asserts this in The Diary of A Drug Fiend when he says: "If I were a dog, I should bark; if I were an owl, I should hoot." It is rather like the pattern in the game of dominoes; you put the card that matches. No other consideration comes into it at all.

Always Wondering

Perhaps I have allowed myself to be distracted by lust.
Again. :rolleyes:

I am going to quiet my mind and change my diet.

93/93

AW

Always Wondering

I read Chapter 34 while waiting for my books. (I've decided that I am just not patient enough for super-saving-shipping. :laugh:)

Anyway, it has occured to me that I have been bashing my head against the wall of the Universe. :|

AW

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
This is the most healing book I have ever read. The Seasons undid me; it was wonderful.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

It was something you said earlier that prompted me to recommend Palmer's book. You mentioned how being a mother gave you a lot satisfaction. But with the passing of that part of your life you've ended up feeling at a loss. That's when I instantly remembered Palmer's story about his meeting with the old Quaker woman, Ruth.
Ruth's reply was a model of Quaker plain-speaking. "I'm a birthright Friend," she said somberly, "and in sixty-plus years of living, way has never opened in front of me." She paused and I started sinking into despair. Was this wise woman telling me that the Quaker concept of God's guidance was a hoax?

Then she spoke again, this time with a grin. "But a lot of way has closed behind me, and that's had the same guiding effect."
As Ruth taught me, there is as much guidance in way that closes behind us as there is in way that opens ahead of us. The opening may reveal our potentials while the closing may reveal our limits - two sides of the same coin, the coin called identity. In the spiritual domain, identity is coin of the realm, and we can learn much about our identity by examining either side of the coin.

As often happens on the spiritual journey, we have arrived at the heart of a paradox: each time a door closes, the rest of the world opens up. All we need do is stop pounding on the door that just closed, turn around - which puts the door behind us - and welcome the largeness of life that now lies open to our souls. The door that closed kept us from entering a room, but what now lies before us is the rest of reality.

Always Wondering

It brought to mind, when a door closes a window opens. But the whole world is better than a little window, and Ruth was instantly loveable.

Now that I feel like the weight of the world is off my shoulders, I am going to take some time to listen.

You are a sweetheart Aeon418, but don't worry, I won't tell anyone.
Opps. :eek: ;) :laugh:

AW