Flame Tree Studio Marseilles Tarot

Wulfrun

Has anyone seen a copy of a new version of the Conver Marseilles Tarot by a publisher called Flame Tree Studio? It was released 26th May this year and I'm looking for pics of it but can't find any. I'm wondering if anyone happens to have picked up a copy and could give a verdict on it, or have any pics to show of it please?

pearlmadgirl

Has anyone seen a copy of a new version of the Conver Marseilles Tarot by a publisher called Flame Tree Studio? It was released 26th May this year and I'm looking for pics of it but can't find any. I'm wondering if anyone happens to have picked up a copy and could give a verdict on it, or have any pics to show of it please?

I second that! Anyone?

Shade

They have the attached posted on their site.

That's a lot of white space, even for a Marseilles. I think I'm missing the garish yellow we often see.

Attachments

• flame tree.jpg
    flame tree.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 832
  • Flame Tree2.jpg
    Flame Tree2.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 989

Le Fanu

oooh, that's very white. Hadn't seen this one. I think there are nicer ones around...

Shade

It's like eggshell and cream had a party at taupe's house.

I do think the few snatches of color that do appear also look a little random. The red tonsured heads of the monks and the lower vertebrae of Death? And I'm not quite sure what is going on with the doublet on the gentleman in the Lovers but the inconsistency could cause someone with OCD to go into shock.

I feel like I am taking cheap shots, perhaps someone will like this more restrained approach to the Marseilles.

Le Fanu

It makes me wonder why someone would think of doing another Convers. There must be so many lesser reproduced Marseilles decks - as Tarot History has shown us - no end of choice for redrawing a Marseilles. I love the ISIS Convers - that for me is the definitive endearingly redrawn, reimagined, tidied-up Convers - and charm overfloweth - I feel I have enough Convers decks now.

Wulfrun

Thankyou Shade for posting the pics! How horribly typical of me not to have done the obvious and looked on the publisher's website lol (my life is full of "duh!" moments....)

But that Marseilles is VERY white-spacey isn't it - you're right Le Fanu! On the plus side I do love the Death card - possibly it's the black ground, feels very deathy!

I think I'll give this Marseilles a miss though, but maybe if I look at it a few more times it might grow on me (that happened with the US Games Angel Tarot Marseilles-type thingie!)

Wulfrun

Ok so the whiteness is sort of growing on me the more I look at it, but I think i prefer the aged-looking backgrounds on ? lo Scarabeo's version of the Conver Marseilles which if I remember correctly is now OOP. I think one of Jane Lyle's Tarot sets had a Conver copy in it as well with the nice aged look to it but it had little white borders around the very edge and so I trimmed both outer and inner borders off ruthlessly and it looked great from the front but it made the backs looked a bit naff! I gave it away in the end but I might have to order one of those ones again off Ebay and get trimming!

I'm normally an unashamed lover of the colourful Fournier Marseilles but I wanted something a bit older looking to keep it company - I'm not sure the Flame Tree Studio version will cut it though. It looks like it could do with a few grubby bits and red wine stains on it or something to add a bit of interest! :joke:

Le Fanu

I think I'll give this Marseilles a miss though, but maybe if I look at it a few more times it might grow on me (that happened with the US Games Angel Tarot Marseilles-type thingie!)
Get yourself one of the Tarot History Marseilles which are on Book Depository - the Chosson or Burdel or that Henri one - any of these. You pay a bit more but get something stunning.

starlightexp

The whiteness isn't the issues to me, for me it's the rather consistently thin line work. I'd be interested in seeing actual pictures of the cards though.