L. Ron Hubbard

Abrac

This thread doesn't have a point really, just an interesting observation.

It's well-known that L. Ron Hubbard, founder of the Church of Scientology, became involved with Thelema in the 1940s and some of the parallels between Scientology and Thelema are remarkable. For example, Hubbards Theta and Crowley's True Will, Hubbards auditing process to remove trauma from the psyche and Crowley's "simplification" to resolve mental complexes and the name itself, Scientology, reflects Crowley's "true science of the magi."

I actually don't think Crowley cared much for Hubbard, but Hubbard seems to have been influenced by Crowley on some key issues.

Silverlyn

Hi Abrac,

Being a former/ex-Scientologist, I've learned that yes, Hubbard WAS involved in Thelema, 'Sex-Magic' and with Crowley for a few years. And true, Crowley did NOT like Hubbard. A lot of Scientologists do not know of this, btw. As it is never spoken about. And even if you DID tell them, they'd just brush it all off.

But yes, many concepts I'm sure are offshoots or variants from Thelema (never studied Crowley, Thelema, etc so can't say for sure).

Abrac

Silverlyn said:
A lot of Scientologists do not know of this, btw. As it is never spoken about. And even if you DID tell them, they'd just brush it all off.
Hi Silverlyn,

From what I've read, the CoS's official position is that Hubbard was involved but covertly so as to disrupt and finish off "devil worship" in California. But I imagine they basically just try to keep the whole thing contained as much as possible. You are in a better position to know about that than I.

Greg Stanton

The Scilons found out were were talkin' smack about their guru and crashed the hard drive. Yeah, that's what happened...

Silverlyn

Actually, they HAVE done things like that, I'm sure, lol!

ajetron

Silverlyn said:
And true, Crowley did NOT like Hubbard.

I remember reading that a while ago, which I thought was rather humorous because Crowley has already had a reputation, which preceeded him. So for the "wickest man in the world" to dislike someone really says something.

Hubbard worked with Jack Parsons, a Thelemite and rocket scientist. I do believe Hubbard was scribe for Parsons when he was recieveing the transmissions for Liber 49 or The Book of Babalon. He (Hubbard) split after it was finished or during it being recorded, can't recall. I also remember (or am fabricating) he ran off with a chunck of money, which was Parsons to write his book Dianetics.

Abrac

Greg Stanton said:
The Scilons found out were were talkin' smack about their guru and crashed the hard drive. Yeah, that's what happened...
:laugh:

Abrac

I imagine Crowley's feelings for Hubbard turned sour pretty quickly once he realized he couldn't control him and make him into a good Crowleyite. :thumbsup:

Greg Stanton

There's no evidence that Crowley ever spoke to or knew L. Ron Hubbard. Parsons mentioned Hubbard in his letters to Crowley, but I don't believe there was ever any direct communication between them.

Of course, L. Ron lied about this (and everything else) by later calling Crowley his "very good friend."

Aeon418

Greg Stanton said:
There's no evidence that Crowley ever spoke to or knew L. Ron Hubbard.
I'm not aware of any eveidence either. I can't recall any letters between the two. And Crowley and Hubbard most certainly never met. At the time (1945) Crowley was living in England and Hubbard in California. All that Crowley knew about Hubbard was via Parsons.

Crowley's comments to Karl Germer seem to sum up his attitude toward the pair of them.
Apparently Parsons and Hubbard or somebody is producing a moonchild. I get fairly frantic when I contemplate the idiocy of these louts.