"but you've already got a Tarot deck!"

moderndayruth

Most of my RL friends were purplexed why would anyone get more than one deck simply because they didn't know there were various traditions, like (since Tarot isn't wide spread here) they thought it was one set/fixed deck and that was it... Little did they know... :D Now my previosly low TQ friends developed their preferences... "awww, i'd like to be read with RWS this time"...; "no, no, Visconti definitely"... , "Thoth for me" etc.; the good thing is that most of them started getting me decks when they travel abroad :D

Alta

I finally took several decks with me when visiting one of my sibs and showed her the various kinds of decks, explained the traditions and ways of reading. At least I don't get too much static from that direction any more.

I love having a lot of decks and because I know a lot of them well, it is also a bit of reading library in my head when I read, too.

Too many decks, hah!

Alta

nisaba

Grizabella said:
Oh my gosh! Ask her why she has more than one skillet for cooking. Or more than one baking pan. Or more than one pair of shoes. Or more than one child (if she has more than one). The analogy to movies and CD's for music, books or anything else.
<grin>

Grizabella said:
Does her husband have more than one tool? :p
Her (ex) husband *is* a tool!

Actually, I think she got the tools in the divorce, he got the aeroplane, which she really, really wanted to keep.

emmsma

Oh, my hubby knows there are different decks, and doesn't REALLY mind me getting more - its just the packages keep on coming.
And coming.
AND COMING.

I'd buy him things too, if only he'd tell me what he wants. :p

nisaba

goddessof1967 said:
A couple of years ago I briefly got to know this guy who made out to me that he was the guru of Tarot as well as some kind of spiritual guru who thought he had so much to tell the world that he was going to write a book. Anyway, when I asked him what deck he read with he sounded really bewildered and said something like 'well......ah......the usual one, you know'. That cracked me up! When I asked if he meant the RWS he kinda sorta said 'um, yeah'.
<falling about laughing> Wouldn't it be even funnier if it weren't, if it were some obscure deck, or a reproduction of an early Marseilles or something!

nisaba

Grizabella said:
Oh my gosh, Simsy! Doesn't he know that Tarot decks are twice as expensive in Australia as they are here?
Most common, in-print decks will cost you around $35 off the shelf.

When I buy from TG, the listed prices are a bit less (but much more than half, usually) but the currency conversion makes them similar or even higher. Then there's freight. I don't mind, though - I don't know a single physical shop here where I can wander in and browse on their shelves amongst thousands of decks, and which have six of the cards helpfully pulled out of the shrink-wrapping so that I can see more of the art than I can on a sealed box in a local shop.

And I find if I don't buy decks one by one but save my money (and my desire) and buy three, four or even five in a single hit, yes, the freight costs go up, but it still works out cheaper than having them freighted separately.

And you get to choose between so many decks.

And you get to see several of the cards, impossible in sealed mint-condition decks.

I still *do* like to buy the odd deck from Gnostic Forest - after all, I was one of their regular Tarotistas for many years and I'm fond of the place and the people - but in recent years she seems to have developed a distressing tendency to cover her divination shelves with Angel, Fairy, Angel, Dragon, Angel, Rainbow, Angel Dolphin, Angel and Doreen Virtue decks. I have a weak immune system - there's a limit to the amount I can take of glitter, pastel rainbow colours, translucent wings, white togas and complete lack of acknowledgement that life can at times be difficult and challenging.

The amusing thing is, this appears to be a lucid commercial decision: of the partnership, the daughter reads with a battered Morgan-Greer, and the mother with one of the darker-hued Thoths (it's no longer in a box so I can't tell you, sorry). Every time I get an international parcel, starting way-back-when, when I first lost my virginity getting the Tarocchi del Vetrate, I've taken my new acquisitions in, and there's been much oo-ing and ah-ing, but when I suggest they may like to stock them, they say "it's not commercial".

<sigh>

If I had to run a similar business there'd definitely be a place for repeat-sellers, but I'd also have a catalogue of serious decks as well, decks with street cred. One of each of 10 or 15 titles on the shelf, and when one sells, rather than replacing it with the same deck, buying another *good* deck to replace it with so that the window-shoppers and occasional customers get to know they can rely on the place to stock Interesting Things.

Fantasy-land. For now, perhaps.

Simsy

Grizabella said:
Oh my gosh, Simsy! Doesn't he know that Tarot decks are twice as expensive in Australia as they are here? If I were you, I'd ditch all the other belongings the two of you have just to be able to have more room to take more Tarot decks back with you.

Lol griza that thought had occured to me but that would go over our baggage allowance! :D (we are flying over u see) that is the only reason why i have stopped buying cards no room to take them all if i did decide to get some more decks

btw i am aware that tarot cards are twice the price in australia compared to the UK but i have online means of getting them (direct from the publishers mainly lo scarablo and llewellyn) and various other means both on and offline of getting decks of tarot cards so i am not all that worried really.

I would hate to think how much Ciro Marchetti's gilded deck which is my next deck purchase would cost in australia all i know its about £22.50 in the UK for that deck.

Makes me thing i will be buying directly from the tarot chest which is a uk based tarot seller and various other places like that.

One day i will start a mail order business selling tarot and oracle decks not for there 'commerical' value but for what they can bring to people sort of smilar to what nisaba said.

:love:

Simsy

Onyx

What's funny to me is when I have to explain my love for decks to my Tarot friends. I was at a meet up two weeks ago and one of the sweet ladies there just looked baffled that there would ever been a need for a second deck.

As we were talking she asked me if I got different readings from different decks. The answer was clearly yes to me but she didn't understand how that could be. It became painfully clear to me that though she has been using just one deck for years that she hasn't even scratched the surface on the symbolic language of the deck.

Now I am beginning to think that it might be a good thing to start using some restraint in the amount of decks I buy but I don't even know how to begin. Ordering decks online feeds several of my greatest joys. 1) Shopping, 2) recieving packages (nearly an addiction) and 3) Tarot. I told myself that 50 was my limit. Then it was 75, now it is 100. But that may be changed to a rotating 100, by trading/selling those I don't use in favor of new ones that I might.

It is threads like this one that help me know that I am not alone.

Onyx.

morticia monroe

MY man didn't really care at first..he thought he was indulging and humoring me with my tarot purchases.

Then one day a deck came and he rolled his eyes...."ANOTHER deck? How many of those things do you have to have? Don't you have enough now? How much money do you think you've spent on all those cards?"

I went to the stack of invoices he has pertaining to parts and tools he has purchased for the racecar he is building,,,the first one I grabbed, an engine block, specially designed by Billet,,$15,000. Yeah, that's no typo. $15,000. It made me feel sick to my stomach.

I dare him to ever say another word. He'd better be damned glad I don't collect diamond rings.

Onyx

morticia monroe said:
I dare him to ever say another word. He'd better be damned glad I don't collect diamond rings.

That is funny stuff!

Onyx.