Anybody here do professional short readings publicly?

santasser

I'm thinking of the types of readings done at fairs, mostly short, mostly for entertainment

Do any of you do these types of readings at a venue regularly (like once a week or more) and pro or semi professionally?

If so how much do you charge?
How did you get your gig?
and any other related material.

Lokismile

One to Three cards, depending on your style.

$10 a throw, $15 for couples.

Readings typically last about 5 minutes. 10 - 12 minutes for couples. I do not set a timer; I have the feeling down at this point, however.

actual length depends on circumstances. Note fatigue on he part of the seeker, as well as on really meaningful connection on the flip-side. Is there a line? etc.

at least 18 years of age.

Functional sobriety.

Hope this helps.

Achlys

Usually I'll do 3-Card spreads
$15/reading
No minors
No one who's impaired

I usually just apply for booths at things like craft fairs or street fairs, etc and it works wonders

nisaba

I'm thinking of the types of readings done at fairs, mostly short, mostly for entertainment

Do any of you do these types of readings at a venue regularly (like once a week or more) and pro or semi professionally?

If so how much do you charge?
How did you get your gig?
and any other related material.

I've been hired for a flat fee to do multiple short readings: the venue paid me $200 for four hours and I did upwards of thirty readings.

I've donated my time to a fund-raiser for a convalescent home: clients put whatever they wanted to put into the jar. I did about twenty readings.

Mostly I read in cafes, pubs and new age shops ov er the years. Short readings don't go down so well - people want serious attention to their problems. I do half-hour readings, and charge the local standard rate that everyone charges.

Barleywine

I'm heading in the same direction. My scheduled readings at a local shop are half-an-hour and I've been doing the Celtic Cross with some difficulty in getting it done in that time-frame (as nisaba said, "serious attention to their problems"), so I'm switching to a shorter spread. But this coming Saturday I'll be participating in a "psychic fair" at the shop, where most of the sitters will be walk-ins, so I'm going to offer shorter readings with a four-card spread. Haven't discussed pricing with the owner yet, but probably $15, of which she takes a cut.

Ace

The answer I would say about price is, "it depends." Very specific and definite!

Some advice I was given years ago: "Charge for what you do and give value for what you charge." The biggest thing to do (IMHO) is be consistent and firm about your time. It is too easy to into a reading and take too long for the money you are charging or for a client to get glued to the chair and keep asking "just one more question." Use a timer and stick to it. (Get up if the client won't, it usually makes them get out and OUT of the chair.)

If you get a Party to do, where you can read by the hour, then make sure you know how MANY people you can do in an hour and, again, be firm about your time. I used to do it "by the reading" at "reading parties" but I find that doesn't pay as much, the start and wrap up too much time and I didn't feel the pay was worth it.

I would say that you may want to ask around and see what OTHERS in your area charge for short readings and base what you charge on that.

Good Luck!
barb