Ten of cups?????

Trieah

This may sound a bit strange, but I just had something happen that involved the ten of cups, and I'm not exactly sure what to make of it. I'm actually a natural mental channel/medium, which means that I'm able to pick up bits and pieces of conversation from all kinds of spirits. I also have an extremely close relationship to a selective group within an even larger set of spirit guides (which mostly consists of Archangels, so please don't panic) who have been trying to assist me in all kinds of activities.

Yesterday, during a mid day nap, was the first time I was able to have an out of the body experience, but it only lasted for a few minutes. My guides were even asking me to try it again, because they have a lot of things they want to show me. So today, I was trying to recreate the conditions (along with their help) which allowed me to finally do it. But as typical, I just wound up falling into a semi sleep state. Just before coming back to full conscienceness, and feeling kind of disappointed that I wasn't able to accomplish my goal, I heard one of the spirit voices tell me that everything was going fine, except for the Ten of Cups, indicating that if it weren't for that card, I would have been able to astral project again.

Since I'm still in the process of learning the tarot, I had to look up what that card meant. But, ten of cups is supposed to be a happy good card. So I'm not sure what it has to do with holding me back from being able to astral project.

Are there any other meanings to the Ten of Cups that I'm overlooking here??? It's just not making much sense to me right now.

Apollonia

A lot of the time my guides show me things visually, so I'd be interested to know what deck you are studying and what the Ten of Cups looks like in that deck.

Trieah

The thing is, I didn't actually see the card. I just heard one of them say it I wasn't able to attain my goal because of the ten of cups.

When I when to look up the meaning, I used an online site that tells what each card means. It looks like they were using the standard Rider-Waite deck. At the moment, I only have one tarot deck and that's Ciro's Gilded tarot. I haven't looked up what the ten of cups looks like in this deck yet. I think I will do that now though. Thanks for the tip about looking at the card I actually have for an answer.

nisaba

The Ten Cups is about happiness in the world, often bodily happiness.

If you're zinging with lust, it's hard to get out of your body. If you're full of ice cream/pasta/chocolate, it's hard to get out of your body. Lots of Ten Cups stuff will keep you grounded and in your body.

Aim for a more homoeostatic state, a state of quiescence.

Do you lucid-dream? That's often easier to work on. When you're able to go lucid at will, then dream yourself out of hte body. It's the back-door, yes, but it works very well for many people.

WalesWoman

Avoid intoxication or maybe drinking too much of anything... full bladders could be distracting... but more than likely you are too full of emotional attachments or even more so, filled with expectations. You could be trying too hard.

Even if it's some other 10 Cups besides RWS, how realistic is that picture. Most parents will agree that a brother and sister might be going round and round with their arms around each other, but it's usually not in a dance of affection, and the shrieks are not of joy, but some argument. It is the ultimate idealistic view with rose colored glasses... super expectations of Happily Ever After and other utopic dreams of peace, love, harmony and happiness. It's a bit unrealistic at best.

When I was a kid, I flew... all over the place, with the stars, it felt like swimming through air... but as soon as I became consciously aware of me doing it, I'd almost freak myself out and I'd sort of swirl and twirl back into my body. Getting back to that place was hard, sort of like falling asleep only it felt like spinning out on an ever expanding spiral... it made me feel a little dizzy and gave me butterflies... and as soon as I'd think about that, it would stop. If I just let go of everything, the next thing I'd know is I'd be flying... and as soon as I'd get too involved in whatever... I'd be back in my body, not sure which was I was lying in bed, like I flew back in too fast and was backwards in it or something.

I don't remember when it stopped for sure and every now and then I get that same feeling, but I've never been able to do it since puberty struck.
When I was a teenager, I was trying to learn to water ski and spent most of the time plowing through the water and swallowing the lake... and then finally I got up on top of the water and was skiing!!! My first thought was "OMG I'm up!" and then my next thought was "What the heck do I do next?" The answer came quickly as I hit the wake and barrel rolled and bounced off the waves. Too much emotion and not being really prepared to handle it once my expectations were met. I fell because I was afraid to be there.

Sulis

The Ten of Cups is often about unreal expectations. People call it 'The Happy Ever After card' but there really is no happy ever after, life just isn't like that.
The family in the RWS version of the card stand beneath a rainbow and everything is joyous and bright but rainbows are illusions and nothing is ever that easy..
So I think you may be trying to hard to re-create things and your guides are just telling you to let go of the expectations and just relax.

Trieah

Thanks for all the replies, they've been helpful. The day I was actually able to do it, my guides told me via a spellboard (fancy version of a ouija) to focus on them the next time I tried. I haven't had a chance to ask them through the board what they meant by the ten of cups, yet. Hopefully I can do that tonight.

Nisaba, thanks for the idea of going through a lucid dream. I'm still working on being able to control those. My guides have been trying very hard to help get my attention so I'll stop just letting the lucid dream play out on it's own. At least I'm making progress though.

epvitale

Trieah said:
Since I'm still in the process of learning the tarot, I had to look up what that card meant. But, ten of cups is supposed to be a happy good card. So I'm not sure what it has to do with holding me back from being able to astral project.

Are there any other meanings to the Ten of Cups that I'm overlooking here??? It's just not making much sense to me right now.

Tens represent completeness. Cups represent emotions, creativity, spirituality. Perhaps your guides are trying to tell you not to concentrate on the goal, but to enjoy the journey. That you are fixated on the "final goal" so much you can not learn the lessons.

I am thinking of me trying to learn guitar and piano. I have so much music in me I believe I should play like Mozart, which makes the "failures" of scales and chord learning frustrating.

I hope this helps.

Gary

Trieah

Actually it did. Thank you very much for that insight.