Is the Queen of Swords always "cold"?

KnightOfTheCosmos

Wow! I came to just answer your initial Q"Is the Queen of Swords always cold?" I totally identify with this card and think she resembles me most as far as queens go, and after reading ALL of your interpretations, I can say, "Yes, she is me or I am her" . HA.

Anyway, no she is not ALWAYS cold. I don't have much to add because what everyone else said is just so perfect. However, I can say- she may be perceived as cold because of her ability to cut through the crap- and also to cut crap out of her life. As others have mentioned, she is not quick to trust others. If someone does earn her trust, she will give them her all, and if that person then betrays her, she will not hesitate to cut them out of her life. She may have lived an entire lifetime surrounded by drama, and at this stage chooses not to have any around her. It's her ability to see clearly what others can't (or won't) that allows her to just get over it and move on. She's been through too much, seen too many things, knows what's important and what isn't, so her priorities may not lie in the pettiness of everyday irritations, but rather how things affect other things in the grand scheme of life. She's out to make things easier by not focusing on the trivial matters but by seeing the big picture and a very clear path towards it.

This is why I heavily resonate with the Queen of Swords. Because I will cut people out of my life if they have wronged me one time too many. I can't stand drama. I like it when people are honest with me upfront. I don't trust easily but when I do, you have it for life because I'm extremely loyal. I've been described as blunt but I don't mean to be. I've been through some crap too so I don't care to relive any of it.

I like how you described her. :) Thank you for your input!

Redfaery

I resonate very strongly with the Queen of Swords. She's the person I aspire to become. I dislike any woman being called a b****, especially if the reasons are so petty as usually cited for this card. Cold? Distant? That's not worth name calling! It's not even a bad thing all the time. Sometimes you need someone rational and detached to help you solve your problems.

Disa

The Queen of Swords can't help it if she's the smartest person in the room! She makes a great friend. She makes a terrible enemy. She don't like bull crap. I bet she thinks there should be a law against stupidity.

OMG! This is all so true ahahaha.

Barleywine

Short answer: Yes. I've been married to one since 1979. She can be at her iciest when she's "hot under the collar."

nisaba

The thing is that many people tend to view the QoS as cold and distant overall. Is she always that way?

Only people who miss the point. The point is that she's INTELLIGENT and THOUGHTFUL. Is rationality coldness? or is it a way of enhancing your feelings to get the very most out of life? People who have brains but totally ignore them in favour of "living through their hearts" miss out on so much. The Swords court cards don't. They acknowledge that they are intelligent, and use their gifts the way they were meant to be used. If you find that to be "cold", so be it. I don't.

KnightOfTheCosmos

Only people who miss the point. The point is that she's INTELLIGENT and THOUGHTFUL. Is rationality coldness? or is it a way of enhancing your feelings to get the very most out of life? People who have brains but totally ignore them in favour of "living through their hearts" miss out on so much. The Swords court cards don't. They acknowledge that they are intelligent, and use their gifts the way they were meant to be used. If you find that to be "cold", so be it. I don't.

I don't either. I was just curious as to whether others saw her as that or not. I agree with you.

empress's dress

sorry i think my post is wrong.

Nemia

The Queen of Swords is related to the element Air, and in order to see all her facets, I look at the Air zodiac signs. I see the queens as inward-looking power, not only feminine, and the zodiac characteristics help because they're less "gendered". IMO the Queen of Swords is the best example for judgmental gender stereotypying that doesn't allow us to see a court card character. As you said, the "bitch" stereotype interferes.

The Air signs are Gemini, Libra and Aquarius. None of them is the most warm hearted and empathic person in the room but they don't have to. Gemini is a great communicator, and understanding can come through good communication. It doesn't have to be wordless empathy. Libra is a wonderful character and unsentimentally kind. Aquarius can appear cool because of the overwhelming force of Aquarian intellect and social justice but is very reliable. (There is a core of vulnerability at the heart of Aquarius that not many people in Aquarius' life see.)

I see the Queen of Swords dealing with others in ways specific to her - through honest communication, compromise and willingness to see each side of a problem, and through respect and solid loyalty. Libra is the most dominant sign in her astrological make-up, and since the Queen of Swords rules also over the last decan of Virgo, there is a practical kindness in her, too.

No, she's not as hot as a person under the influence of Fire, but Air is according to the old theory of the elements warm and moist. Air and Fire are hot/warm, Water and Earth cool/cold. Obviously, these metaphors don't work perfectly transferred to character traits.

I'd say Air characters are even-tempered, and whether they're warmer or cooler depends on their individual character and of course the relationship itself.

I don't find that warm-to-cool character negative at all, I think it's wonderful. I have always liked this queen although I know I'm not her. But as friend, lover, colleague or family member, the introvert Air character is one I have always felt drawn to. The watery queenish element brings empathy anyway, but it's free of drama here. You can always rely on this queen to tell you an unpleasant truth constructively, and what better kindness can you ask from a person you love long-term?

That's my view.

ihcoyc

The Queen of Swords is canonically the widow, the woman in mourning. Her coldness is partly defensive; she remembers a time when she was in love, and keeps that memory close within her heart. She is also the Queen of the Air element, lively in conversation, able to wield cutting wit, and to cut to the heart of the matter.