Reading for Skeptics

Dee 04

Hello All:

I do not know how you handle these types of situations but any suggestions are highly appreciated...

For themost part, I Read for family and friends and people that get referred, etc. I do not charge a fee for readings. Lately there have been a number of people that, at the onset of their reading, they say stuff like "I am skeptical" or "I am doing this as a last resort to find out X,Y, or Z" whatever... I undestand that people come to Tarot from different belief systems and different understandings etc. Some do not knwo what to expect or how to behave, maybe they can get nervous, who knows.

I guess once the cards have been shuffled I feel kinda odd to hear stuff like this.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP! Please :D

Rhiannon

I've had friends say after a good reading... "now let's just test the cards by asking a question I already KNOW the answer to..." that kind of ticks me off. I'm like "doi! didn't we just do that and you got a good answer? If you're not going to take advice why do you ask????!!!!!"

You are not alone. How to deal? I don't know. Haven't ventured out very far from home yet.

Rhiannon :)

Mojo

I actually love reading for skeptics, because I'm one of them. I'm also one helluva Tarot reader.

I've found that most skeptics really want badly to believe, but they just need to be dazzled a bit first.

The best approach is to play to their weakness - curiosity. I involve them as much as possible in the reading and have them attempt to read the cards along with me. If they're not being passive, they can't come up with all sorts of cynical things to say.

I have many previous skeptics who are now regular customers.

tarotbear

I once did a reading for someone who announced every other sentence I said " I know this is all bullshit. I know this is all bullshit.' I looked her in the eye and said " If all you expect is bullshit, all you are going to get is bullshit!" That shut her up. :p
When I get someone I know is going to give me a hard time, I usually ask the goddess to please make sure my reading is accurate; once you knock them off their seat with what you reveal...it quiets them down really fast.

Jimilyn

tarotbear (02 Sep, 2001 16:18):
I once did a reading for someone who announced every other sentence I said " I know this is all bullshit. I know this is all bullshit.' I looked her in the eye and said " If all you expect is bullshit, all you are going to get is bullshit!" That shut her up. :p

:D :D :D
I *love* it!!! And soooooooo true whether it's regarding Tarot or something else. Expectations are very important.

Jimilyn
...who is *still* laughing

destinyawaitsme

I love reading for skeptics...because most of the time, I can "convert" them...so to speak...but you still have those few..that even though you told them some things...that made their eyes open...or nod their head in agreement, they still say,"well all tarot is..is a bunch of cards that are really general and anyone can find meaning to." Which, sometimes...can be true. But I'd like to think that tarot is more than a "magic 8 ball" sort of tool.

Buca

I think this is normal, you are always going to meet people with different view points and opinions in all areas of life.
I think you'll find that these people aren't trying to prove your belief in tarot wrong but are hoping you can prove you are right. If they truly thought it didn't work they wouldn't waste any time having you do a reading. They are most likely unsure and looking for some kind of proof.
Remember you don't have to do a reading, if someone makes you feel uncomfortable, tell them you dont think their motives are correct and would rather not do a reading for them. If they give you a hard time tell them they can easily buy/borrow a deck and try doing their own readings.

magnwa

Skeptics are a lot of fun. Like Mojo, I am one. :) Well.. kinda. I'm also religious in the wiccan sense, but I don't think those are mutually exclusive things. You can be a skeptic and be religious :) Anywho.. the reason I like skeptics is because they are easier to impress and they are coming into this with the expectation that they'll get nothing. Often when they try to "test" the cards, the cards don't play with their question.. (for me..) they go on to something far more impactful and address that. It is , for example, as if I said "I'm going to test you, what's the capital of Michigan." And you responded by naming all the capitals of the united states, and all the countries of the world. Hehe.. THAT is passing a test :)

magnwa

tarotbear

What IS the capital of Michigan?

Jimilyn

tarotbear (05 Sep, 2001 01:41):
What IS the capital of Michigan?

Oh, piffle!!!
I used to be able to rattle off states, capitals, state nicknames lickety-split. Not any longer. The capital of Michigan wants to come into recall, but the file cabinet drawer of my brain that state capitals are filed in is jammed. :eek:

LOL! Too many years without any WD-40. :p

Jimilyn
who wanders off moping because she worries that she'll never learn to read tarot if she can't remember something as simple as the capital of Michigan...not Lansing, maybe Ann Arbor? Maybe not...definitely not Lansing...oh, I'll never remember meanings of 78 cards if I can't remember the capitals of 50 states. :'(