Your very first deck

Marua

Thanks

Thanks for the links, gregory, I knew it had been discussed before! But it's always fun to read, and new members arive all the time.

GryffinSong

Mine was a majors-only beginner version of the RWS. Huge cards with the meanings written right there on the front. My mom gave it to me when I was a teen back in the 70s I think. I have no idea what happened to it. My first full deck was probably the plaid-backed RWS, though I bought the Hansen Roberts fairly early I think. Then the Morgan Greer. The Morgan Greer is the only one of those first decks that still really resonates for me. It's my classic. :)

cardlady22

Amazon says it was May, 2001 ~ Tarot of Gemstones and Crystals
But, this was more to have a crystal/gem oracle with the most possible stones represented. At that point in my life, I was never going to do tarot.

In 2003, I got the Australian Animals & the Animal-Wise ~ again with the idea that I wanted to learn about the animals rather than tarot. Guess I had a problem with guilt & denial? :laugh:

Spent a lot of time with various playing card (cartomancy) methods and got rid of the tarot decks. But in 2008, I plunged in after finding AT. Books, decks, anything! Even re-purchased what I had before. Some decks multiple times as I replace a copy passed to someone else.

Chiska

1979 - age 13 - Grimaud Tarot de Marseille

It was confiscated by friend's zealous Catholic mother and burned. I never got another one until...

1990 - Mythic Tarot

Susanne Röttges

the haindl tarot

Le Fanu

*just check and see if I've already posted in the other threads*

First *official* deck; Cagliostro. Bought off a friend who lived nearby (of course I'd long been fascinated by cards). He couldn't find the LWB and, despite the keywords, I was so intrigued I realised I would soon have to get myself a proper deck just so I could read the "instructions" and learn.

So I went to the local bookshop that weekend. No internet in those days (1983?) and chose the one with the shrink-wrapped box which most appealed; Grimaud Grand Etteilla.

Not a wise decision. An Etteilla manual to read the Cagliostro. It wasn't looking good. I soon realised I would have to buy a third deck to really get to grips once and for all; so I went back to the shop and bought the Fournier Spanish Tarot.

It was only when I bought my fourth deck, the 1JJ Swiss with Kaplan's Tarot Cards for Fun & Fortune Telling that I started making headway.

nisaba

Marua said:
I'm sure it's been discussed before, but I'm curious to know which it was.
Only in the last week or so.

The RWS, a mini. Then I got a full size.

Then I realised, and starting buying and never looked back.

Edited to add:
gregory said:
Here's a thread about this !

And another and another.
Ah, Gregory, trust her to do the legwork for us.

gregory

nisaba said:
Ah, Gregory, trust her to do the legwork for us.
Actually I thought I had posted WHY I got my first and was looking for it. But clearly I didn't :D

OR I didn't do enough legwork :D

Sailor Girl

Motherpeace

My husband gave the Motherpeace full size deck 15 yrs ago. I couldn't shuffle it because of it's large round shape and never clicked with the images. I then got the Tarot of the Path and went from there. Fav deck is definitely the Gilded!
Have kept all my decks and keep collecting them regardless of using them or not.

nisaba

cardlady22 said:
Amazon says it was May, 2001 ~ Tarot of Gemstones and Crystals
Ah yes, I remember <grin>.

cardlady22 said:
In 2003, I got the Australian Animals
I got the oracle version of that deck by them before then (not sure which year, but it was last century) and I always wanted to get the Tarot version when it came out later, but dallied, on the pretext that it was self-indulgent to have them both and I already had the oracle, until I made a firm decision to buy. And it was out of print. Gah. Still wouldn't mind it, but I never see it for sale, except once, for an outrageous amount (I think it was $250 secondhand or something).