Moon in RW 2 of Swords

tattydolly

I was looking through my Universal Waite deck and noticed the moon behind the woman in the 2 of Swords card.

None of the books I have mention it.

Does anyone know/have an idea about what it means?

To me it seems to say that the status will change, that a decision will have to be made because of external influences.

Anybody got better/different ideas?

Thank you.

Tattydolly

firemaiden

Tattydolly, compare this moon to the Moon at the feet of the High Priestess and tell me what you think :)

tattydolly

firemaiden said:
Tattydolly, compare this moon to the Moon at the feet of the High Priestess and tell me what you think :)

Er - well they're both crescent moons.

In the High Priestess the moon would stand for shedding light on mystic/psychic knowledge - things unseen.

So it would stand for something similar in 2 Swords.

Am I getting warmer? <g>

firemaiden

hahaha, Tattydolly, I don't have the answer :) But wonderful interpretation. I love your question by the way. And you are right, I don't see anyone talking about the moons.

Well, the two's are ruled by the High Priestess, right? I see a lot in this card that reminds me of the High Priestess card. What about you?

Umbrae

is the moon waxing or waning?

Is the subject holding the swords suffering from a delusion caused by her own stubborn illusions?

If the subject is avoiding seeing the truth, and stuck…

Look at The Moon…the cards are somewhat tied together.

tattydolly

firemaiden said:

Well, the two's are ruled by the High Priestess, right? I see a lot in this card that reminds me of the High Priestess card. What about you?

Let me see:

2 swords - 2 pillars
pools behind woman - pool behind priestess
both women are sitting still
the moon!

I'd never thought of it that way, but you're right.

Now I'm off to look at the other twos and to see where the moon shows up on other cards. <g>

tattydolly

Umbrae said:
is the moon waxing or waning?

Is the subject holding the swords suffering from a delusion caused by her own stubborn illusions?

If the subject is avoiding seeing the truth, and stuck…

I don't know, but they're great questions to ask at a reading.

Thank you!

euripides

To me, the Two of Swords looks more like daylight. It looks like a solar eclipse to me. I'm probably wrong, given, as has been pointed out, the similarity with the crescent moon ... but there's something about its shape, in the RWS... it just doesn't read like a night-time moon to me. Perhaps because the sky isn't black, as it is in the Ten of Swords.

Sophie

The lady cannot look outward - she can only look inward. The moon has, since forever, encouraged the psychic, inner-looking vision. Psychic vision is one of the functions of the mind - of the Swords. The moon is waxing, and her Sight is waxing with it. But she is still suspended between two states, two worlds, the mundane and the otherworld she can access by looking in. She is calming everything and meditating, allowing stillness to take over. She protects her emotions from moon-madness. This is a controlled action to develop her third eye by blocking her physical sight.

Bohaz

Just my opinion. The situation on the 2 of swords is not that static. Things will change one day or another. There are 2 thoughts, feelings oposed but sooner or later the light of decision will come. Mentally, we feel as in the dark, the night. Still, the moon reflecting the sun's light is giving us a clue that a solution is ready to come to us as a ray of light.

On the other side, I think the moon at the feet of the High priestess is a more mystical moon. Moon was always related to women. Please take a look at Aphrodita (goddess of love). Besides Moon represents one of the two columns B and J the high priestess is seated between. Column J represents the beauty, the female, the moon and the left column in the tree of life of the Kaballah. Means a spiritual, mistical face of the human being, almost always related to the woman.

To resume. IMO there are 2 different meanings to the moon in those 2 cards.