Celtic Cross Spread

KyrieSummer

This is an old post, I believe from Solandia if memory serves me correctly. But I thought it was a very worthy one to bring back up as it is such a popular spread.

This is the spread I use the most. However, I am aware that I read it differently than a lot of people. Here is my interpetation.

- - - - - - 3 - - - - - - - - 10

- - 6 - - - 1/2 - - -5 - - - 9

- - - - - - 4 - - - - - - - - 8

1. Could be the querant, overall guestion, issue
2. Atmosphere of the question, others involved with the querant, deeper part of the question
3. Issue, conscious, querant is aware of these aspects
4. Issue, subconscious, querant may not be aware of the underlying issues here
5. recent past aspects of the issue, events, although I don't always have others come up in spreads, more of my reading is focused on the querant themselves, this is the position that I will at times have the impression of another person that is influencing the querant.
6. near future regarding the issues or other events
7. "Flavor" regarding the issue, further nuances
8. What others think about what is happening to the querant (very telling as we often are not as aware of what is right there in front of us as our friends are.
9. hopes and fears card
10. final outcome

I have to admit that at times I will change as I look at the cards as to what the positions mean. They tell a story and sometimes the "chapters" don't describe the meanings well so the positon meanings may deter some, but not usually too far.

I also tend to take a more psychological view of throws (likely due to my profession) and what issues psychologically the querant is dealing with. I also read with an eye to karmic lessons. The other postion that I will at times have another person enter the spread is at the 4 position. If so, this will indicate itself to me to represent someone who is impacting the querant in regards to the issues that they are not aware of.

Others? How do you read the celtic cross?

Rhiannon

I read them and lay them out the way I was shown in the book. I lay my 3 and 4 opposite of yours and my 5 and 6 opposite of yours also.

1 and 2 represent the forces surrounding the question. 3 is present, 4 past, 5 & 6 are future. 7 is fears, 8 is family influences, 9 is hopes and 10 is, of course the final outcome.

Sometimes I have trouble with 7 and 9 because I'll get a "good" card in the fears position and a "bad" card in the hopes position. When this happens I just reverse the positions meanings so it turns out right. Or i say "you hope this bad thing doesn't happen" or something like that. Does that make sense?

One of the advantages I have right now is that I am only reading for myself and close friends so I know all of their situation. No real guess work. They often help me puzzle out obscure meanings. *sigh* Someday I will be able to venture out and read for "real" people. LOL

Rhiannon :)

MeeWah

Rhiannon: I hate to be the one to break the news to you, but you are ALREADY reading for "real people" :D
I think you are being too hard on yourself & lack a wee bit of confidence.
Am not sure what you mean by a "good" card (in the Fears position) & a "bad" card (in the Hopes position). Cards in & of themselves are neither good nor bad, but neutral. If the card in the Fears position strikes you as a "positive", it can mean the fears or concerns are needless or unfounded; things will run their due course & work out after all. If the card in the Hopes position strikes you as a "negative" or less than ideal (ideal being relative, remember) it could mean a delay; not at this time; or to look for other options. It is helpful to look at surrounding cards & their relationship to each other--there can be different combinations that may well give other aspects of the story.
As for reading for people whose situations are familiar to you, you can try doing readings without knowing what the area of concern is. This is a good way of practising the use of the intuition. Ask that you not be told the question, & read strictly relying on the cards for hints. It matters not if you are not familiar with all the meanings of the cards as that is not always necessary. See what images speak to you--you may well find that a particular part of a card will catch your attention, be it the figure, an object, the number or the suit. It may be a word that comes to mind or a thought. Any of those can be promptings of intuition from which you can build or embellish.

Rhiannon

Thank you MeeWah! You're right. I do need to work on my confidence a wee bit. lol The problem is time. I don't have too much time to devote to learning the individual cards like Yarnie does... I wish I did. Usually it's past 10 in the evening before I can even look at my decks. But one thing I'm going to try very hard to incorporate into my daily routine is a 3 card pull. I'll just pull them, write them down and examine them while I'm at work if I have to!

And yes, my friends are real people (sort of) I'm just EXTREMELY sarcastic. Please pardon me if I get too bad. I try to control myself, but they just give me so much ammunition... ;)

I have been trying to develop my intuition where my readings are concerned. I think you are right about not asking what the question is in advance. I've also been trying to recruit some new "guinea pigs" from other acquaintances. Mmmm, fresh meat!

And you are also dead on about my "good" and "bad" cards. Either negative or positive influences regarding the question. I just say good or bad to save time and the people I'm currently working with are like "yeah, ok I see that" and I NEVER say anything is definite! I always say "that's there as a warning to you that if you follow the path you are currently on, things may not turn out the way you plan".

Thank you again for your help and insight. I will definitley yell (loudly) for you when I have a problem with interpretation. So just be prepared!

Rhiannon :)

tarotbear

I've always considered that there are 3 conclusion cards in a Celtic Cross spread, the 3rd, 6th, and 10th cards. Sometimes these three cards relate directly to each other; sometimes #3 is the immediate conclusion, 6 is what is possible in the near future, but the 10th card is always the final outcome. I also lay my spread out like this:

...6....1/2....4......

paradoxx

with the basic layout of the cc srpead being

......x..........x
x...x/x..x....x
......x.........x
.................x

you can assoicate any position in any order you wish. the central cards are usually the first, i personally go from left to right and bottom to top like so

3...1/2...6.....9

although i can and will change the order (espicially if i am working from a guide book) depending on who i am reading for, the question fo the sprad, the environment and the space i have to work with.

changing position 3 with position 4 creates a clockwise movement to the reading but also changes the feeling of the reading. My final advise to is expeirment and work with this well known spread so that you can use the style that works best for each situation when the cc is used.

and thats my two dollars.