How do YOU draw cards for a reading?

rissa

I refuse to do "pull it off the top" readings. I always fan the cards in a horseshoe, and make the querent select cards by selecting cards that "feel right". Then I arrage them, describe what each position means, and allow them to move anycards they'd like before I read them.

I feel that this helps make the reading more personal to them, and honestly, I feel that it gets me better readings. I believe very much that people can sense which cards are for them, even from the back (some people crab a chunk of cards that are all together, andyway, but at least it's their choice.)

My way makes me CRAZY for personal readings (I agonise over it, and it takes me forever to pick my cards!) but I just can't imagine doing it any other way.

What do each of you do?

StellarMyst

It varies depending upon the reader's issue(s) in question with me.

rissa

StellarMyst said:
It varies depending upon the reader's issue(s) in question with me.
How so?

starrystarrynight

I shuffle, cut from right to left, and deal off the top. I also always take note of the base card of the deck, as I feel that was one of the cut-to cards, and that seems significant to me. As a rule, it usually is, too.

Grizabella

I shuffle, take a middle portion out of the deck and move it to the top, and then deal off the top of the deck if it's just me doing a reading for myself or to fiddle around practicing.

If I'm reading for someone else, I have them cut the deck and put it back together. Then I may fan the deck out and let them choose cards or I may deal off the top of the deck after it's put back together.

I don't use a shadow card or whatever you choose to call the bottom card off the deck.

SunChariot

Well I only read for others online, so the querent does not get to touch or choose the cards. But what I used to do after shuffling is to split the deck into three piles with my right hand, then place my left hand over each to feel which pile was giving off the most heat or energy, put that pile on the top with the other two on the bottom and then pull the cards from the top.

Lately, I got bored with that so I have been trying something new and I've done it a few times and have it's worked fine for me. I hold the deck in my hands face side up and let a number (less than 78) come to me. Then I count off that number of cards and that is the one. I.e if the first number that comes to mind is 38, I count the cards off and the 38th card is the one...I've found that fun to do.

Bar

Staramber

I shuffle and cut the deck, one pile for each card I need and take the bottom. I usually do all of that myself because while I believe the sitter could do it themselves I don't think they'd necessarily want to.

I spent the longest time not being able to shuffle, I'm not brilliant now. Cutting depends more on the person. If it's a serious in person reading (I get a lot of practice in taking my cards to parties, well when I get invited) then yes, if it isn't then I'll do it. Just to save time I suppose.

Babsalon

When I started out with The Faeries' Oracle for friends I'd have them pick their own cards, face-up, just by the look the Faery was giving them. Beautiferous chaos ensued.

Now I shuffle, spend a minute feeling for The Best Cut (think it's just a phase?), cut three piles to the left, and deal from the top. The bottom card generally has to get a word in before I deal. I think there's an echo in here. *grin*

Starrystarrynight, are you a Thoth gal too?

<3Babs

Sinduction

I pick right from the top after I or my querent shuffles and I place the cards upright since I don't read reversals.

Astraea Aurora

It all depends upon my mood.

Mostly I pick them right off the top.

There are also days I pick them off the top and the bottom. Sometimes when I finished shuffling I say "Ok, the third (or whatever number) card and from them on", so I neglect the first two cards. I hardly cut the deck, hardly fan them out and pull by "feels right". But it happens from time to time :D ... when I'm in the mood.

Blessings, Astraea Aurora