Similar decks to the Playing Card Oracle?

Bhavana

Hi Bhavana,

I know you were looking for Rhinemaiden's reaction to her new vintage Playing Card Oracles deck, but I just received mine in the mail the other day, and thought I'd post a comparison between it and the US Games version that I also have.

• The cards are the same size (3" x 4.5" or approx. 76mm x 115mm).
  • As some have already reported, the vintage deck is a thinner cardstock. It's a smooth matte stock, and feels a little like a nice paper board from the craft store.
  • The most major difference, of course, is the card backs. The vintage deck has the swirling pattern all the way to the edges, no border at all.
  • The colors are very subtly different: the blacks are more cool-toned black in the vintage version, but this is only a dramatic difference in some of the cards, and mostly in the line drawings of the art. Which is to say I don't notice a huge difference much between the actual spades and clubs, but in the drawings, several in the vintage version have a blacker look instead of the brownish-black look in the US Games.
  • The salmon/pink/red color is slightly more pink in the vintage than orange, and the blue is slightly warmer in the vintage.
  • The gold is less bold in the vintage.
  • Most of the cards still have the little nubs on them where they were detached from the others in the sheet.
  • The lettering of the card numbers and image titles is very different. The vintage looks more hand drawn and thinner.

I'm not sure if you were interested primarily in a reaction to the deck in general, or to the specifics of the vintage version, so I'm not sure how helpful I've been! I really do like the deck, even though I haven't settled into a cartomancy system yet. The two "cons" for me with this deck would be 1) the size, since I'd prefer a smaller, truly playing card sized deck (I'd LOVE it if she made a pocket version!), and 2) the element-suit attributions (Diamonds=Fire, Clubs=Air, Hearts=Water, Spades=Earth).

I'll snap a few comparison pictures today or tomorrow and put them up, if anyone is interested.

Extremely helpful, thanks so much! This may sound somewhat shallow of me, but regardless of the subject and symbolism, if I don't "physically" like a deck, I won't use it very often. I am sort of thinking the vintage deck cardstock is similar to some older decks, like the first printing of the Morgan Greer - which isn't necessarily bad, but I just don't prefer thinner cards. I am in the process of buying the USGames version for MoonGypsy, and should have it by mid-week - and I may still get the vintage version, not sure yet...was going to order it last week, but something stopped me.

You may be in luck if you'd like a smaller version of this deck - as has been mentioned here, USG is doing a reprint - and I THINK it is going to be smaller than the first one they did. I am not positive about this - but that is what I assumed from something said by Ana Cortez in the comments section of one of her videos on YouTube.

Pictures would be great, if you have a chance - !

Yes, I saw the Sailor Jerry deck! Pretty funny. I agree that most decks can be used for reading, and I bet that the Jerry deck would have some interesting stories to tell, lol. And that Flickr account really does have great photos. I just came across it a couple days ago. I found some nice cards on it. And the wish list expands again.......

I Know, I Know - my wishlist is out of control, especially now with the addition of the playing cards!!

kalliope

You may be in luck if you'd like a smaller version of this deck - as has been mentioned here, USG is doing a reprint - and I THINK it is going to be smaller than the first one they did. I am not positive about this - but that is what I assumed from something said by Ana Cortez in the comments section of one of her videos on YouTube.

Pictures would be great, if you have a chance - !

Oh, I hope you're right about the smaller size of the reprint! That's exciting news!

Here are a few pics that I snapped yesterday, but it was sort of gloomy in the house so I was having trouble and they aren't super crisp, sorry. One shows the difference in the shaded line drawings, one shows some colored cards, and one shows the title cards and backs. In a couple of cases the US Games version is actually the darker of the two, so I included a pic of those as well. In all pictures, the vintage is on the top row.

One more thing to add about the vintage edition -- it doesn't come with a box. It comes nicely wrapped in ribbons, but in a plastic bag.

Attachments

• PCO_compareColors.jpg
    PCO_compareColors.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 119
  • PCO_compareDrawings.jpg
    PCO_compareDrawings.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 117
  • PCO_compareTitleCards.jpg
    PCO_compareTitleCards.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 111
  • PCO_compareUSGdarker.jpg
    PCO_compareUSGdarker.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 108

Bhavana

Thanks so much for taking the time to post the pictures - they look great, you would never think it was dark in your house. Very clear, and you can definitely see differences. Like you said, in most cases, the vintage seems darker. The blacks are definitely blacker. I do like the vintage backs - but as for the rest, I guess I will wait to see how the actual USG deck feels when I get it in my hands this week..... I really can't wait, I find it soooo interesting to look at.

I am probably going to wind up getting the vintage too....knowing me! I'll regret it if I don't.

As for the new USGames, I hope I am right too...!! But please don't hold it against me if I have it wrong! I do know for sure that some new artwork will be added to the new version - and I THINK that the artist requested a less glossy cardstock for the new one...it should be coming out really soon, supposedly the artist has already seen the prints, and usually the deck comes out pretty quickly after that stage.

Rhinemaiden

My vintage Playing Card Oracle deck arrived yesterday and I am delighted to have it. The art is sublime. I can't wait for the book to get here so I can fully appreciate this wonderful deck.

Kalliope... many thanks for your detailed review of vintage and US Games versions. Your pictures are great!

Here's my $0.02 on the vintage version. My first impression of the card stock was that it was similar to an uncoated Meneghello deck (Gatti Buffi)... lovely to look at, lovely to hold, but shuffle it? Not on your life! This is a museum piece. It deserves proper care. But I was eager to do a reading with the Oracle deck. I grabbed an old Bicycle poker deck, shuffled to my hearts content, pulled 3 cards. Then went to my vintage Oracle deck and carefully pulled the corresponding cards for contemplation.

This morning I was lucky to find a US Games version of the Playing Card Oracle deck and snapped it up for general use. My vintage deck will stay pristine and treated with kid gloves. I seldom buy dupe decks, but I'm happy to have both versions of this amazing deck. Say what you will about US Games printed in Italy cardstock... it's like the old Timex watches... it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

Bhavana

My vintage Playing Card Oracle deck arrived yesterday and I am delighted to have it. The art is sublime. I can't wait for the book to get here so I can fully appreciate this wonderful deck.

Kalliope... many thanks for your detailed review of vintage and US Games versions. Your pictures are great!

Here's my $0.02 on the vintage version. My first impression of the card stock was that it was similar to an uncoated Meneghello deck (Gatti Buffi)... lovely to look at, lovely to hold, but shuffle it? Not on your life! This is a museum piece. It deserves proper care. But I was eager to do a reading with the Oracle deck. I grabbed an old Bicycle poker deck, shuffled to my hearts content, pulled 3 cards. Then went to my vintage Oracle deck and carefully pulled the corresponding cards for contemplation.

This morning I was lucky to find a US Games version of the Playing Card Oracle deck and snapped it up for general use. My vintage deck will stay pristine and treated with kid gloves. I seldom buy dupe decks, but I'm happy to have both versions of this amazing deck. Say what you will about US Games printed in Italy cardstock... it's like the old Timex watches... it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

Thanks for your opinions - turns out that I too have both the USG version and the vintage on it's way to me now - PLUS the book!! Have you seen the YT videos made by the PCO creator? All feature her vintage decks - and for all the use they get, they seem to be in decent shape.

Here is one of them - if you check out her account, there are probably around 20 videos on the use of these cards...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcJlq2g8vdY&feature=relmfu

Like you, I treat my decks very carefully - but you are right, the USG decks can handle a lot of abuse! I plan on using both, but will see for sure when I get them, or will at least see which one I prefer.

Bhavana

Thanks, Belinda! I just ordered a Portable Fortitude deck.... looks very intriguing... and a companion for the Edward Gorey Fantod Tarot which is one of my favorite "quirky" decks.

I want to eventually get both of these as well! This thread is VEEERRRRYYY enabling!!

kalliope

No kidding about this thread being enabling!! :bugeyed: It's sent me on a crazy playing card buying bender over the past week!! And I do mean a crazy one. I've ordered:

• Bag of Bones (received this yesterday, and will post pics in the next day or two)
  • from Ellusionist:
    • Arcane in both white and black
    • Infinity
    • Ghost Mini
    • I got the 3 full-sized decks in the sampler, so I'll get a 4th deck for free
  • Pippoglyph (I've been wanting this one for a while)
  • from Theory11:
    • DeckONE
    • Sentinel
    • Monarchs

I've also ordered Regina Russell's book, and received a paper copy of the PCO book (easier to learn from than my ebook version).

And I still really want the Portable Fortitude, the French & English reproductions from Historic Games, and the Bicycle 1800 Vintage series from Ellusionist. Gah!!!

Glad the pictures were helpful, everyone!

Bhavana, funny that you have both PCO versions on the way to you! I'm curious to hear your reaction to the two when you get them. And no worries, I won't hold it against you if the new edition isn't smaller. :D

Rhinemaiden- I have to admit, I didn't feel hesitant to use the vintage edition of the deck, but now you have me thinking. I'll have to get it out today and shuffle it a bit and see if I think it would hold up over time.

SO...does anyone think it would be crazy to try to use two different systems? One for the PCO deck, and one for regular cards? It seems to me that the PCO system is a bit tarot-like in that it can be very psychological, whereas most other PC methods are more practical and fortune-tellery, kind of how Lenormand cards can be. Maybe this should be a different thread...