Thoth Tarot and a Magical Career

Rosanne

Oh my snobbyness is going to come to the fore here Thorhammer :D
It directly relates to the magic/magick I am searching for- and that ain't Crowley. Not to cast aspersions on your quest- nay not at all. He is one of the social misfits that I think has damaged (in the public's eye) how people view Tarot in the wider community. Nothing to do with his words- which generally are not read outside communities like this- except in a gossipy like way to prove that Tarot is bad, or a rock band needs Satan etc etc. He has for many become a cult figure and the bad that he did lives long after him.....wish it was the good that he doth do that live long after him.
Now my name is on this thread....ain't life ironic?
I did not want this thread to become a discussion on Crowley as this is how passions get raised and we get into spats. Then the thread becomes derailed by personality conflicts and particular areas of interest.
I officially hand this thread over to you...... or You can now start one called a Magic Career (or anything you like) and I will ask for the moderator to incorporate this thread into one with your name on it. Howsat????
Makes me happy- makes you happy and your questions can be answered- which they will be.....no ggggnashing of teeth.
~Rosanne

Rosanne

Really interesting questions Thorhammer :D :D D:
Aint computer magick wonderful!

Thought I might add this for your consideration
The library may have this book, that I found interesting and you can read about the Authors on the Web
Hidden Lore: The Carfax Monographs by Kenneth and Steffi Graph. (Essays)

And my other passion is poetry and read something about WB Yeats. (That was how I first heard or knew about the Golden Dawn.) It is said that Yeats learned through the Golden Dawn to consolidate his visions and create a magical vehicle that would carry his ambition towards fame. It seems to have worked because he received the Nobel prize for Literature.
~Rosanne

Aeon418

thorhammer said:
And that list of books and their correspondence to cards is awesome.
It wasn't a list of books. It was a list of chapters within a particular book* and how they correspond to the Tarot cards.

*Part 3 of Book IV - aka Magick in Theory and Practice.

thorhammer

Aeon418 said:
It wasn't a list of books. It was a list of chapters within a particular book* and how they correspond to the Tarot cards.

*Part 3 of Book IV - aka Magick in Theory and Practice.
Ah. I see . . . it's the Roman numerals. Certain things confuse my mind, including accounting, physics, Roman numerals and fashion. This is the book that similia was talking about.

Thankyou :)

\m/ Kat

ravenest

Rosanne said:
Is there anywhere- aside from joining one of these groups, one can read about this ritual recommended to go with reading the cards? Is there any books written about the magical ritual of such groups?
The 'ritual' is the one A.C. wrote in the Book of Thoth at the back, how to do a reading starting with the invocation of the Angel of the Tarot, etc. It has been the subject of a few discussions here.
Rosanne said:
Does one write to O.T.O. to acquire this book 1V?
~Rosanne
I don't think so ... just try a bookshop or ebay or something ... has it become unavailable?

Non of this is as 'mysterious' as you might have been led to believe ;)

ravenest

thorhammer said:
I have noted what I perceive to be a dearth of deep technical discussion in the Thoth Study Group forum, and that makes me wonder - is there a reason for this lack?
Serious? Gosh I thought the forum was full of it, raves about Princesses on thrones of Aces and a whole complex cosmolgy related to that, Tzaddi is not the star, etc etc. Are'nt they all over the place. Haven't we been deep enough for you? :laugh:

I thought people were dropping out of discussions because some of us get OVERLY (and overtly ;) ) technical! ... Gosh! I hope it wasn't becasue we were boring.

T.H. ... mate! Fire away, ask what you will. If I think it's too full on to respond publicly I'll PM you.
R.

ravenest

thorhammer said:
I'm interested in this book now, similia :) I must hunt a copy down . . . when finances allow :D

\m/ Kat

I might have an old spare one that you could borrow if you want.

ravenest

similia said:
haha I did not notice that myself I must admit, but it was pointed out to me previously and I was embaressed then also.
What ... twice ? :laugh: (You sound like me.)
similia said:
Part 1 I have skimmed/skipped as I know little about yoga, and felt that I would benefit from a flesh and blood class to begin with. Finding such a class is on my to-do-list.... still.... Though I understand that skipping the beginning part and jumping to the middle is not what is generally recommended.
Especially under A.C.'s yoga instruction! His approach is quiet rad. I have heard it severley NOT recommended by a senior OTO member who is also a quiet accomplished Yogi.
similia said:
Part 4 on the Book of Law I have only read through, am still working on understanding it, especially the later parts. The first part from Nuit has been the area I've more easily related to the Tarot and my own experiences. I'm allowing myself another couple of years to work on that bit though also :D

Ah ... Nuit! Yeah that's the good stuff - Check out Liber NV too, a bunch of practices along that 'Nuit line'. For me, Nuit is the 'religious' part of the book, that is, I base my personal religious expression on it. Whereas other parts of the Book (like R.H.K.), I take as part prophecy and part 'told-you-so'. Or, if you like, practicing what is in part 1 deflects what is in part 3 - if the ritual is not ever devoted unto Nuit then expect the direful judgement of R.H.K.. (or something like that)

Aeon418

ravenest said:
Whereas other parts of the Book (like R.H.K.), I take as part prophecy and part 'told-you-so'. Or, if you like, practicing what is in part 1 deflects what is in part 3 - if the ritual is not ever devoted unto Nuit then expect the direful judgement of R.H.K.. (or something like that)
I agree up to a point. But I personally don't view the 3rd chapter as prophecy only. Particularly when that chapter clearly states that there are at least 4 levels of interpretation. I'm inclined to regard prophecy of events as a lower (possibly the lowest) form of interpretation, almost to the point of being overly literal and potentially misleading.

Liber AL describes two kinds of worship (two cults if you will). Nuit and R.H.K.
R.H.K. is the archetype of the HGA. Replacing the old archetype of the slain and resurrected god represented by Osiris.
The reward of R.H.K. is Abrahadabra. He is also described as the "visible object of worship", which makes sense when you remeber that he is identified with the Sun. The solar worship aspect of Thelema is a metaphor for the HGA - the inner Sun or Solar self. But this only applies below the level of K&C of HGA. Once you are fully identified with the Sun, this Solar Self, then the body of Nuit becomes visible. To carry on the metaphor, you can't see infinite space while you are being blinded by the Sun. But become the Sun and the light disappears and is replaced by the darkness of space.
I am the visible object of worship; the others are secret; for the Beast & his Bride are they: and for the winners of the Ordeal x.
Food for thought.....

Ordeal x = K&C?

I am a god of War (VAR - AVR - Light) and of Vengeance (Energy).

thorhammer

ravenest said:
Serious? Gosh I thought the forum was full of it, raves about Princesses on thrones of Aces and a whole complex cosmolgy related to that, Tzaddi is not the star, etc etc. Are'nt they all over the place. Haven't we been deep enough for you? :laugh:

I thought people were dropping out of discussions because some of us get OVERLY (and overtly ;) ) technical! ... Gosh! I hope it wasn't becasue we were boring.

T.H. ... mate! Fire away, ask what you will. If I think it's too full on to respond publicly I'll PM you.
R.
:) I've seen those posts, yes, and they're the ones that piqued my interest! The thing is, many times the discussion stops there without much in the way of extension or interpretations . . . and I come away with more questions thatn answers ;).

Mind you, all this cufuffle has been stirred up, and a concomitant rise in the demands of my work life mean that I'm going to struggle to get a strike in while the iron's still hot :laugh: But I'll try to get some serious reading in this weekend, and get some questions happening.
ravenest said:
I might have an old spare one that you could borrow if you want.
:) Thankyou . . . PM coming :)

\m/ Kat