The Book of Thoth

archer1

I recently picked up a Thot deck.. I love it.. I also have a Rider Waite deck ... But for some reason I am totally drawn the the Thoth deck...

I have ordered the book of Thoth ... or should I have ordered its counterpart understanding thoth...?

Abrac

archer1 said:
or should I have ordered its counterpart understanding thoth...?

Hi archer1

Are you referring to DuQuette's book? If so, I wouldn't recommend it. I know this won't win me any popularity contests around here; but, imo, the book is a lot of fluff. I bought it and was impressed at first; but after I had read most of it I realized I really didn't know much more than before I started. It's written in a personable style and is easy to read; but actual insight is minimal. The only other one I've read (other than Book of Thoth) is The Crowley Tarot: The Handbook To The Cards; US Games; 1995. I would recommend it before DuQuette's book. It's always a good idea to a copy of the BoT on hand too though. :D

-fof

Aeon418

It all depends on what you are looking for, archer1. If you want to understand the esoteric symbolism used in the Thoth deck then Crowley's own Book of Thoth and DuQuette's, Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot will be what you want, as they compliment each other quite nicely.

If you're just looking for a book full of fluffy meanings that have nothing to do with the actual symbolism, your better of looking elsewhere.

Blue Fury

Hi Archer1, I gotta say I agree with Fools_fool about the Duquete book. People do rave about how accessible it makes the deck but, for me, it was the least inspirational of the ones I have looked at. Still useful though, especially if a beginner.

I find the Book of Thoth a bit dry and not an easy read. I tend to dip into it for specific cards, but as I am not well versed in the theories being discussed some of it is a bit over my head. I used Thoth for many years without a Thoth-specific text book, but the first one I found was called 'Tarot, Mirror of the Soul' by Gerd Ziegler. It basically has descriptions and a few keywords for each card and has explanantions for some of the symbolism. Gerd has a wonderfully inspirational way of describing the energy of each card, and it really opened my eyes to the variety of interpretational styles possible. Ziegler also includes 'indications' for each card, 'questions' which each card poses, and also 'affirmations' to draw empowerment from each card. I personally think this is a cracking book to begin your journey.

If you are looking for a more structured approach, then I did buy the 'keywords for the Crowley Thoth' by Banzhaf & Theler, and this gives a very regimental breakdown of the symbolism of each card and roughly what it means, plus it runs through how this card might apply in terms of profession, relationships, consciousness, weaknesses, strengths, etc also how you might interpret it as a daily card and so on... It is not the most exciting book, but very useful all the same.

As you use your cards, the most important resource will be your own reactions to the deck, but as a place to start then I would suggests Ziegler and the keywords.

Hope this helps

Fury x

archer1

Wow didn't mean to start a debate but some good info thanks all

BB

thinbuddha

From someone who has recently read both the Book of Thoth and Understanding Crowleys.....

I have to say that "Understanding...." has most (but not all) of the information BoT has, but is a much easier read. If you were to read BoT and understand it all, then Understanding.... would be useless. But BoT is anot an easy read. I reccomend "Understanding...." before (not in place of) the Book of Thoth.

-tb

Lillie

The only book I have ever had for this deck (the only deck I ever really use) is 'The Book of Thoth'.
Though I have read a lot of other books that connect to the ideas in it.

I have to say that can be quite obscure, and sometimes difficult. Especially if you are not used to that type of writing, or familiar with the stuff in it.
But, you get used to it as you go along, and it starts to make sense (sometimes).
And sometimes just the wonderful mysteriousness of 'What the hell is he on about?' gives it a charm of it's own.

I started reading it 20 years ago, still reading it now. Sometimes I almost understand it.

read everything.
You cannot read too much.
Read things that contradict each other, read things you don't understand.
The more you read the more sense it will all make (eventually. You have to go throught the nothing making sense thing for a while)

And, slowly, it will start to make sense to you (which might be a different sense to me, or anyone else) And then you will know what the cards mean to you (today. They might have changed by tomorrow)

Read both books.
You decide which you like best.

Of course you are going to say that I didn't do that.
Yes, quite right. I said so at the beginning.
But when I started with this deck, and for a long time after, either these books did not exist, or I did not know they existed.
I have only found out since I got this computer (A year and a half ago)
And I havn't got round to getting them.
But I have read a lot. I read everything I could get my hands on in the days before the internet and ebay and abe (amazing place that. Bit pricey tho)

Anyhow. Reading.
Good thing to do when it is raining.

Dean

U.k

Yes i agree with people that starting with the Book of Thoth may not be the best idea for those who have just discovered the Thoth deck, i did start off with the Book of Thoth, and realised much too late that there are lots of easier books available to learn the understanding of the Thoth Tarot.

Lillie

Just ignore me.

I'm rambling...

It's far too late and I am far too tired.

I'm saying weird stuff again, so I'm going.

I just read my last two posts. and yeah.
Ignore me.

Dean

U.k

Hi Lillie,
I just read your last two post's i dont know about what other people think, but i thought they were very useful indeed :)