Darkness and dark decks

gregory

We need the darkness as well as the light. It is all part of the tapestry of everything. And those who deprive, for instance, kids of the REAL fairytales with the blood, mutilation, death etc do them a grave disservice (see Bettelheim et al.)

Hence we also need dark decks. But so many people see so many decks as so very different in their shades of light and dark....

HOLMES

gregory said:
We need the darkness as well as the light.

it is a matter of personal belief,
i do not believe in duality so I dont' need darkness.
with that being said,, i look at a deck like the bohemian gothic tarot or tarot of the elves and see the light among the darkness.
once that light is revealed , the darkness no longer is there.

Nevada

gregory said:
We need the darkness as well as the light. It is all part of the tapestry of everything. And those who deprive, for instance, kids of the REAL fairytales with the blood, mutilation, death etc do them a grave disservice (see Bettelheim et al.)

Hence we also need dark decks. But so many people see so many decks as so very different in their shades of light and dark....
Absolutely. It's funny too, because I've always been someone who preferred lighter things, but I think we tend to seek balance eventually, and what tarot deck we need to help us do that depends on where we start from.

We like to tell teenagers to be more positive, but really they've been fed positive all their growing years, if they're lucky enough not to have been born into a troubled family, and they want to see the other side now, to feel fully prepared for life. Perhaps we make our own initiatory experiences, if our culture doesn't provide them.

As far as a dark deck goes, I think any balanced deck can provide most people with all the darkness they want or need. It's how one works with it that makes the difference. Then again, everyone perceives a deck differently. I'm sometimes told Thoth is dark, but I see it as balanced, and sometimes incredibly light. Some see too much darkness in balanced decks, others can't get enough dark stuff, they hunger for it, and want horrid or fantastical shadowy things like vampires. Myself, I'm not into vampires, though they provide an interesting metaphor for certain types of parasitic greed or energy exchanges.

I guess what I'm saying is that this is a difficult thing to design into a single deck that will suit everyone, because it's such an individual perception. Everyone's at a different place. I think the best you can do is try to find a prominent group or portion of the culture to aim toward. I also think even a dark deck should be balanced, or it will just be depressing to most people. Notice how children combine darkness with fun, with a shivery thrill, or how the Goth trend combined darkness with intricate, subtle beauty. I think we need that, to some degree, to help us keep looking and not shrink away.

A good dark deck should, I think, somehow reach people deep inside at an unconscious level, and help them process difficult emotions and their own shadows, to find balance. How to achieve that is another question. But then any deck can only reach part way. The person using it has to do the rest.
HOLMES said:
it is a matter of personal belief,
i do not believe in duality so I dont' need darkness.
with that being said,, i look at a deck like the bohemian gothic tarot or tarot of the elves and see the light among the darkness.
once that light is revealed , the darkness no longer is there.
HOLMES, I see a non-dualist as someone who has learned how to process what we call darkness, to find balance. I think that's what people are seeking when they look for a dark deck, whether they realize it or not -- to move from duality to non-duality. I think it's part of our spiritual evolution to do so. But most of us today are so removed from the natural world we don't get a chance to experience nature's balance. We live in cultures that call a certain part of nature or life "darkness" -- when of course, as you say, really it's just part of the whole. That's my goal in exploring my shadows, to find that whole or balanced, non-dual perspective. But we have to see things clearly before we can do that, and if we've ignored half of life so far, there's a part we've been unwilling to look at that we still call darkness, and it can no longer be ignored. I don't mind calling this hidden or avoided aspect darkness while I'm exploring it. I know, though, that there will come a time when I just see it all as a balanced whole.

Nevada

gregory

What she said :D

Shade

Umbrae said:
...and half of society is trying to save us from those dark urges, and the other half is trying to market to those dark urges...

"The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it... I can resist everything but temptation."
Oscar Wilde

It really is a balancing act for deck creators isn't it? Some people look at the Rider Waite 9 of Swords and think it is too dark and leaves little room for positive interpretation. They would prefer something more akin to the Doreen Virtue Healing With the Angels Cards (a fabulous, wonderful deck, but certainly one absent of anything dark). I look at the 9 of Swords and think "but sometimes life looks just like that.

HOLMES

Nevada said:
HOLMES, I see a non-dualist as someone who has learned how to process what we call darkness, to find balance. I think that's what people are seeking when they look for a dark deck, whether they realize it or not -- to move from duality to non-duality. I think it's part of our spiritual evolution to do so. But most of us today are so removed from the natural world we don't get a chance to experience nature's balance. We live in cultures that call a certain part of nature or life "darkness" -- when of course, as you say, really it's just part of the whole. That's my goal in exploring my shadows, to find that whole or balanced, non-dual perspective. But we have to see things clearly before we can do that, and if we've ignored half of life so far, there's a part we've been unwilling to look at that we still call darkness, and it can no longer be ignored. I don't mind calling this hidden or avoided aspect darkness while I'm exploring it. I know, though, that there will come a time when I just see it all as a balanced whole.

Nevada

right , just don't say "we need it" for i dont' need it if you get what i am saying.

HOLMES

riccardo ls

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/dark-grimoire/index.shtml

of the imagery shown on aeclectic tarot preview, I see beauty, passion, but i do not see darkness.

1.the fool card.
to me it is someone who is sane saying eventually i will get out of here and prove to them that they didn't get to me,,
he is noble.

2.strength card
the lady has enough strength to ask the monster giant for his help.

3.the chariot
that guy is sure in hurry,, it could be darker if it was a dracula driving renfield or death driving it.

4.the world card
it looks to me like a medium who is able to see the spirits of the deceased
peferctlly natural

5.ace of wands
a spell that has to be solved before the book of knowledge can be unlocked.

6.four of pentacles.
a corpse holding a book of knowledge,
that reminds me of that guy in the movie of conan where he sees the old king holding the sword and he takes the sword for himself.
to me the person knew he was going to die,,so he set himself up holding the book for the next person will see its importance.

7.6 of chalices
a lady watching the autumn sky , very dark ? nah, very romantic

8.8 of swords
a person in a glass cage, being held by a giant with an open third eye.
to me , this giant third eye can see things the person can't see and so he is doing it for her own good til she learns the lesson.
then she will be let go

9.knight of chalices,
a sultun ? ohhhh very scary ,

no riccardo what i found dark was the scene in tarot of the elves where the child is killed, that is dark for me, and then comes back possed.
that to me is dark for we are powerless to help the child.
and event hen, if we know what caused it, with forsight we can aid the child and stop that situation from developing.
and the sensual wicca tarot devil card was kind of dark..only because they were so blatant about it, and what ever turns their crank.

Umbrae

But but but...we're not talking about ONE deck.

We're talking about dark decks plural.

Not everything is rosey...

Attachments

• GJustice.bmp
    283.3 KB · Views: 197

HOLMES

and

what deck does that come from ?
for i would like to know its purpose and theme,

that doesn't look rosie, except it is a reminder of the illusion we use to have,,
and we are now striving to get past the crufixation stage of punishment in our rehabilation efforts.
though i know in parts of the world , stoning is possible, as a whole we should strive to look at these things and evolve into the light.

elvenstar

HOLMES said:
what deck does that come from ?
for i would like to know its purpose and theme,

that doesn't look rosie, except it is a reminder of the illusion we use to have,,
and we are now striving to get past the crufixation stage of punishment in our rehabilation efforts.
though i know in parts of the world , stoning is possible, as a whole we should strive to look at these things and evolve into the light.

I believe that is the Giger/Baphomet:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/giger-baphomet/

I can't speak for the creator regarding it's purpose. For me it's a 'dark' deck, not because it looks dark (and it does), but because I sometimes use it to explore dark regions, as in regions where shadow prevails and makes it hard to see clearly. In that sense, I guess you could argue it's actually a light or torch deck :D because it can be used as a tool to shed light in dark places.

In that sense I guess 'darkness' stands for the 'unknown', which isn't bad/negative/evil in itself. It just so happens that these things tend to sit in darkness because of our fear/reluctance/unwillingness to see and know them clearly under the unforgiving, all revealing 'light' of the 'known'.

Then darkness, fear and negativity are closely linked in our mind, but that doesn't make them synonymous. From a biological/evolutionary perspective I guess it's easy to see where this association comes from and why it is valid. The human as an animal, isn't well equipped to deal with e.g. dark forests full of predators it can't see. ;)

In a psychological sense I suppose the same is true. Some things we hide from ourselves for a reason. When we decide to go out (or in) and find them, we take a risk. The bigger the risk, the bigger the reward and the bigger the danger. A 'good' dark deck (insert your own definition of one here) can be a great tool to help with this imo.