Inducing Labor

Silverlyn

Goody, a fellow Midwife! You and I must talk!:) I used to be a midwife, as well! (midwife student and doula, tho I did do a solo-delivery of a friend's baby!).

The one midwife I worked with used tinctures of blue and black cohoshes given every two hours along with walking, nipple stim, etc....

Silverlyn

goddessof1967 said:
Hi there,

I'm a midwife working in a natural pregnancy, labour and birth centre. I counsel my women almost daily on natural methods of IOL.

I discuss - acupuncture, reflexology, essential oils (clary sage and lavender mostly), sex (prostaglandins in sperm), hot curries, an internal examination giving a stretch and sweep, long walks, castor oil and probably the most effective cause we sometimes have to do it if the labour slows down is nipple stimulation. That one's a full time job but its one of the best. I do wonder if nipple stimulation is most effective when pre-labour has started, though.

However, i find that if the body is not yet ready to labour, no natural methods will help.

Studies have found that it is very safe to go 42 weeks and in fact it is safer than early induction (less than 42weeks). Normal pregnancy is classed as 37-42 weeks gestation. Early induction too frequently results in a cascade of intervention ending in an emergency caeserian.

Its her body, her baby, her labour, her birth. She has every right to refuse induction unless the reason for it is actually there - not just a threat or risk. That the crappest reason and is defensive medicine at its best (worst).

goddessof1967

Silverlyn said:
The one midwife I worked with used tinctures of blue and black cohoshes given every two hours along with walking, nipple stim, etc....
Silverlyn
Hello fellow-kinda-almost-midwife :)

Yep, nipple stimulation is probably the most effective and done in conjunction with a bunch of other stuff, it just could do the trick. With Kekepania already 1cm dilated, that's a great start for it.

Silverlyn

Yep, nipple stim, walking and sex especially orgasm helped alot, (with the women I worked with), too!

kekepania

Thank you so much, yes this is my first baby. I don't understand why the midwives are pushing for induction so soon either, although I must admit, I am ready to have my body back, lol. I had originally wanted a water birth as I have read that it is not only easier on me but the baby as well. But the tubs the hospital provides aren't really conducive to a good water birth although it is possible in them. I did promise not to take the Caullyphyllum, but i am still open to other options. As for the oil, that was the most polite way I could think of to describe why i didn't particularly wish to go that route. Thank you on the sex note too. My drive is one thing that was not curtailed at all this pregnancy. lol
Now since my Vag. check this morning though, I have had some old blood. I thought it was the bloody show, but am not sure as I read that this can be common after an exam, and well this being my first one, I don't know. I have also been having a lot of menstrual like cramps since then as well. I have been making sure to squat during most of them as the midwife said it will help speed the process. It does seem to make the next ones a little stronger and more frequent, but still mild. I was all ready to try cohosh, but one of the other midwives said that those can cause distress in the baby. As for the nipple stimulation. How long and/or frequent do I do it? and is there a particular way of doing it?

kekepania

aromatherapy

I am also very interested in the Aromatherapy that was mentioned. I have always found those 2 scents appealing and relaxing

goddessof1967

kekepania said:
Thank you so much, yes this is my first baby. I don't understand why the midwives are pushing for induction so soon either, although I must admit, I am ready to have my body back, lol. I had originally wanted a water birth as I have read that it is not only easier on me but the baby as well. But the tubs the hospital provides aren't really conducive to a good water birth although it is possible in them. I did promise not to take the Caullyphyllum, but i am still open to other options. As for the oil, that was the most polite way I could think of to describe why i didn't particularly wish to go that route. Thank you on the sex note too. My drive is one thing that was not curtailed at all this pregnancy. lol
Now since my Vag. check this morning though, I have had some old blood. I thought it was the bloody show, but am not sure as I read that this can be common after an exam, and well this being my first one, I don't know. I have also been having a lot of menstrual like cramps since then as well. I have been making sure to squat during most of them as the midwife said it will help speed the process. It does seem to make the next ones a little stronger and more frequent, but still mild. I was all ready to try cohosh, but one of the other midwives said that those can cause distress in the baby. As for the nipple stimulation. How long and/or frequent do I do it? and is there a particular way of doing it?
The menstrual cramps is excellent progress, Kekepania. The old blood is probably a bit of both - stimulation from the internal plus some show, esp. if its mucusy.

Nipple stim - fulltime job if its to do its best. 20mins an hour every hour for as many hours as you can take it. Especially now that you are having cramps it could really help. Do it like you're trying to squeeze milk through the areola into the nipple with the thumb and forefinger.

Clary sage is the most favourite and then with lavender, rose, geranium and a few more that I can't think of right now. Try googling them or just use clary sage and lavender. I tell my women to use them in the bath, in the oil burner, on the pillow at night, on tissues to sniff regularly, rub it in the tummy with some carrier oil and any other uses you can think of. Clary sage increases uterine activity and lavender keeps good uterine tone to try and effect regular and co-ordinate contractions. Raspberry leaf tea (made from the leaf) drunk by the gallon helps lots too.

If you can't get a water birth at least use it for the majority of the pain relief. esp. when you're more than 5-6cms dilated. And you never know, junior might just begin to emerge before you can jump out........

My class were all laughing the other day cause we were going through these and someone said 'do them all at the sametime!', we all cracked up!

goddessof1967

Oh yeah, the contractions push down from the top of the uterus (even though you don't feel that), so the cramps and then early contractions should push bub down so eventually his head descends further into the pelvis.

kekepania

Thank you again.

I dont have the oils, other than Rose, I ran out of the lavender as it is such a good anticeptic and my fiance has two young boys. But I do have Lavender to burn. Will that help?

kekepania

To GMB

Thank you as well that website is most informative, in fact I just read it to my fiance. lol