"Ethics" of tarot

meltedobsidian

The person I'm dating (has been a bit tumultuous lol) highly disapproves of my interest in astrology, tarot, etc. and basically tells me it's a "cheap trick", and those who do tarot readings are "playing God", have no right to give advice to people they know nothing about, etc...

Honestly as far as astrology goes I've become pretty confident in my knowledge, and I would not feel at all "unethical" looking at someone's chart and giving them advice based on upcoming transits. But I have to admit with tarot (still very new to learning about how tarot and astrology actually relate) sometimes if when doing readings for others the outcome is especially negative, I hesitate to explain it to the querent because I don't want to make too much of an impact on their actions and perceptions (especially if the cards are actually "wrong"??)

So I'm sorry I'm still a beginner and questioning my "faith" a bit lol but I guess I'm just wondering what other more experienced tarot reader's responses are to these types of opinions... Seems to be the general consensus and I don't have much evidence to justify my experiences or beliefs in it

Wintersice

Well, this is not necessarily from being a tarot reader perspective but from a life perspective. Don't ever let anyone make you question your faith. If it is your belief, then it is your belief until YOU decide to change it. Don't let someone else change it for you.
I spent many years in a relationship where I was ridiculed and belittled for my beliefs, practices and thoughts. Until one day I woke up and decided I was done, my spirituality was more important to me than being with someone who didn't respect all aspects of me.
It has taken me many years to get fully back into all my practices and belief systems but I'm much happier now, more confident in myself and with someone who can respect all aspects of me (or at least tolerate it and let me have my beliefs while he respectfully doubts).
As far as " "playing God", have no right to give advice to people they know nothing about," what does he think counselors, psychologists, psychiatrists etc.. do everyday?

conurelover

I agree with Wintersice...

but I just want to add...

Have they ever seen you do a sample reading or have you done one on them? There is a chance that they may change their mind. If you decide this person is not worth the time of doing a reading for I think you need to follow Wintersice's advice.

Good luck.

Disa

I agree with Wintersice, too.

Those types of responses from the outside world are one thing, but to have a relationship with someone who thinks things like that is a whole nother issue. If it's just causal dating, who cares what he thinks? But if you're in it for the potential of being married to someone with those thoughts you might really want to reconsider. A person can be respectful of your beliefs or practices even if they don't agree with them. We get enough crap outside, we don't need to have it at home, too.

PS. As far as playing God and giving advice to people we know nothing about??? Well, those people are asking us. It's not like you're chasing them down the street forcing a reading on them.

tarotbear

First: you need to be comfortable in what you do - that can take experience and time.

Two: If 'they' disagree so wholeheartedly with what you are doing - get rid of them.

My two cents ....

conurelover

I forgot to add-
Speaking from experience, those that question your beliefs and judge your beliefs usually have doubts with their own.

tarotbear

Speaking from experience, those that question your beliefs and judge your beliefs usually have doubts with their own.

Yes, this may be true, but when someone is already using phrases like 'Playing God', their next step is condemnation. It is true people are frightened by what they do not understand, but this is already bringing out the heavy artillery; doing a reading for them to 'hopefully change their mind' may only reinforce their prejudices.

"Waste no time; say no more.
Show him what the door is for!"
{Nellie Forbush -'South Pacific'}

Rhinemaiden

I've said this before, and I'll say it again:

Never be less than you are for anyone.

tarotcognito

Agreeing with all previous posters. I would be extremely ''not dating'' someone who made derogatory comments like that.

Sorry. Just my two cents. You're worth more than that. Don't doubt yourself.

Rev_Vesta

When someone comes to you asking for a reading and you give them a reading from the cards.... You are delivering a message that will help empower them on their journey.......
You are being supportive and caring..... You do not do it out of being better than them.... You do not do it to be nasty........YOu are being loving and compassionate..........

Isn't it the same when you do an Astrology reading? A Tarot reading is given the same respect from you as the Reader.......and the person coming for a reading is expecting the same consideration.

I believe You should also expect the same consideration from a partner.. from someone who is suppose to repsect and love you......If not then I beleive there may be some cords to cut....... some releasing to do.......maybe some movement forward but these are things that need to be discussed......and decided within your own heart........What is this partner at this time teaching you about You?

YOu need to do what you feel is right for you....noone can tell you what you must or must not do, ultimately that is your choice, just as when you give a reading for a client they have a choice whether to take the advice from the Reading or not....

Love and Light on your journey.........
Blessings