Throws about Time

KyrieSummer

I have been working some "time" on developing some throws for "time". I have come up with a couple, one is pretty basic, in which I throw for specified time periods, for example,

one day - positon one
one week - position two
one month - postion three . . .

I will sometimes go up to a year and one half, lengthening the time period between the cards.

But I have only had somewhat good success with that.

I have looked at also doing a simple on card throw, and that seems more accurate.

But this is still a difficult one and a subject that has been on my mind for a couple of years now. I have done individual studies on the cards in my deck in relation to time and that has been the most helpful. But perhaps, tarot just doesn't like to be narrowed down that much. :)

What have any of you done in terms of working with TIME and the Tarot?

- KyrieSummer -

Rhiannon

Here is one that I call the Conflict Resolution Spread

1. Conflict, the main problem
2. When did this start?
3. How do you feel about it?
4. What can you do about it?
5. When will it be resolved?

This spread was designed with the idea that each of the 4 tarot suits represent a frame of time, as in the seasons. You would Read it with the directions in mind: Pentacles = Winter, etc. You would also want to take into account the numbers of the minor cards, for instance the 3 of Pentacles would be the 3rd month of winter or of the new year, perhaps. If a Major arcana card comes up in a position instead of a "timed" minor card, then you can say that the situation will not be resolved by time, but rather by a change in attitude.

I've done a few readings with it so far, but it's sort of hard to tell how accurate they were, considering that the resolutions turned out to be far in the future.

This spread will be appearing in the 2004 edition of the Tarot Lover's Calendar!

R :)

Umbrae

Time, time, time…

Ever been to Africa? You know, if you ever go to Africa, you’d understand what I mean when I say…”Africa time.” Things move different. Out here, we build freeways to get there fast. We know what’s gonna be where and when and by golly if’n it ain’t ya sure gonna hear ‘bout it!

Africa time.

In Africa, things move on their own time. Trains arrive when they arrive; animal herds arrive when they want…drives westerner’s crazy. But in Africa, the sun comes up – and the sun goes down…that’s time.

The Norse-Teutonic folks of ancient Europe had a different concept of time. A modern day consists of 24 hours, punctuated by day and night. The Teutonic-Norse concept contained therein was two ‘days’. One period occurring between sunup until sundown, and a second day occurring from sundown until sunup. The Norse thought of distance and time in terms of moving people between two points. The principal unit of measure was how far you could ride, which of course varied depending on the land, and time of year. Therefore, space-time is relative.

Had a friend who used to be a first-mate on coastal steamers sailing the between Seattle and Alaska. Whenever Kurt came back he had what he called, “Sixty mile an hour disease.” To him it seemed as though everybody was moving at sixty miles an hour. On board ship, things move much slower.

Time is a concept. It is a human construct to which we assign a prime importance in our lives.

Someone once said that time was invented so that everything would not happen at once.

Tarot time. You cannot tell the cards, “When.”

Through use, you will learn their idea of when. My times vary just a tad depending on which deck I use…kind of like you speak differently with different friends. Something I had to get used to. Something you will have to learn…how it works for you…

Also, sometimes the cards are telling you exactly the ‘what and when’ of an event…but it’s tough to be objective about your subjective life-view. It’s difficult to see what you are looking at, especially when it may not be what you expected to see.

Once I heard of a teacher that taught, that if you were using a Celtic Cross spread, that the Ace of Wands as equal to June 1st. This person had the whole calendar figured out on the cards. Now I’m not saying that it was wrong. But I am saying I have never heard of that before.

Here is the deal with timing…

I have never met two people with the same personal time, and there is only one way to find your ‘personal time’.

Journaling. One of the benefits of keeping that journal of yours is that you are learning your own system and concept of time. Timings set by cards will always be wishy washy, and over-ridden by your personal time. As you learn and grow, you will find things tend to shift.

Here is suggestion for you; start doing readings for friends, but do not tell them of the results. Write your readings down, and seal them in an envelope to be opened at a future date.

This way, the reading cannot influence future actions or events.

Secondly, it provides a benchmark as to how your timing works. I can tell in a layout roughly how many weeks or months in the future I am looking at, but it came from experience, and I know it is not the same for everybody.

And thirdly, like the exercise where we did readings with some cards face down, you may find that your readings vary from actual events and time. Knowing how you work with this concept we call time is important. It’s part of learning.

The other key to keeping a journal is when you have major life-changes, your timing system may change. My timing has changed drastically in the last two years, and I’m still coming to terms with that aspect of my own readings…hey…I’m human. I now have to add extra time to my readings. Should you use a static timing system, the old this means this and that means that, you will discover that is too rigid.

I have found that timing is more loosey goosey than other aspect. There are so many variables involved for an event, to be ready for you.

copied verbatim from an unpublished work, with the author’s permission. This material is copyrighted, and may not be copied or duplicated in any way without the author’s permission

dadsnook2000

Determining "time" within a reading.

For what it is worth -- I purchased a book a few months ago titled "Time Tarot" by Alarnah Tobin-Gray and Llyle Wentworth published in Australia by Simon & Schuster. I started a thread but, like the proverbial party, no one came. The authors promote a system of determining time for a question or event to occur, and claim that it has worked well for them over the years. The book costs $14 US. I can answer further questions if this is of interest to you. Dave.

tarotpharot

Flowing like a river....

In all my years of reading, I've had limited success in gauging time in a reading. The timeframe involved can be obvious as it relates to other elements of a reading. However, many times the results are ambigous enough (at least to me) that trying to nail down a specific time would be little more than guess work.

After all, are the results of any reading carved in stone?

Brad })
TarotPharot

divinerguy

I'm with Umbrae on the time thing. Whenever I try to determine time, the best I can usually do is "soon" or "not soon," with no definition of "soon." I think its for the exact reason stated by Umbrae - time is relative among querents.

Sometimes, the nature of the draw may convey urgency, but that's about the best I can do.

I try and tell querents to be observant of things around them, which will tell them when the time is ripening for the event described in the reading.

Rhiannon

Excellent points, Umbrae, Tarotpharot and DG! I know that time is relative and it's extremely difficult to pin down a reading that way.

I came up with that spread because I had a querent who was VERY interested in knowing when things were going to happen. In fact, I believe she was very upset that I couldn't predict a time for her. I have not tried that reading with any paid clients yet, because I'm not sure if it's really going to work. But experimentation, along with journaling, is how we learn right? It's worth a shot. Especially if I can use it successfully to give my clients some peace of mind.

R :)

KyrieSummer

Tarot Time

Dave - I would be interested in that book. Is it only in Australia?

Rhiannon - thanks for the idea on the throw. I will look into that one. The side project that I am doing won't work with it, but maybe I could adapt it.

Everyone - I sure sometimes have sincere doubts that narrowing down time will work as well as I would like. I would sincerely like to get it down to actual dates. I have gotten it to seasons and even as far as months and certain holidays, but I am looking to hone it even more.

But, I am certainly not sure it can be totally done, nor that it should. Thanks to all for your wonderful insights. It is funny, sometimes, how so many become obsessed with time. I didn't used to be one of them, but now in terms of this, I am. :)

If anyone else encounters any other reading material on this, I would be pleased. I have been reading now for about 14 years and have not encountered too much on this subject.

Have a wonderful day and blessings to you all!

- KyrieSummer -

divinerguy

Dear KS,

Try the book, Tarot Companion, by Tracy Porter. (ISBN 1-567-574-6, Llewellyn - 2000)

It has a section on timing and the Tarot.

dadsnook2000

Time Tarot for KyrieSummer

I purchased my book from a Border's Book Store. Their system is based on an astrological association of some minor arcana cards with a sign decan (and the time when the Sun is in that decan. Other cards cover several weeks or a quarter. In a spread, one card is generally used to signify the time of an event or outcome. I haven't tried it enough to endorse it yet but it certainly looks interesting. I've always found that astrology is really good for timing, tarot is good for answering questions, both are great for profiling a situation or problem. Dave.